Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofitting NextGen Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done this? If so, please post your experience here along with price. Many thanks!

Ty

Mine were done for free because I had an early P85D: ordered with NGs but delivered with older style. It took an hour in my driveway to do both fronts and rears. The seats are massively better.

I did read that it's only possible on certain vehicles with speculation that it has something to do with the seat wiring. I would suggest talking to your SC.

How do we find just rear seats? i ordered Nxt gen seats but only received the fronts and the dealers won't do anything about it.

They don't offer the rears any more. I don't know why... maybe reduced rear visibility? There was a very small group of P85Ds that were ordered at the beginning when they included the rears as part of the NG seat package. And they were the only ones that got the rears retrofitted.

They don't offer the rears any more. I don't know why... maybe reduced rear visibility? There was a very small group of P85Ds that were ordered at the beginning when they included the rears as part of the NG seat package. And they were the only ones that got the rears retrofitted.

I have the early NG front and rear seats and from what I can see, it is extremely ugly on its back side. It does not sit flush and you can see metal supports from the behind and a large gap.

I have the early NG front and rear seats and from what I can see, it is extremely ugly on its back side. It does not sit flush and you can see metal supports from the behind and a large gap.

I haven't noticed that on mine. Maybe you got a bad unit? They certainly don't lay quite as flat as the prior seats but that doesn't bother me. I still prefer them.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone got the NextGen seats and then realized they made a HUGE mistake, I'm here to offer you a 100% Free Swap with my classic Tan Leather seats! I will even drive them to you!

Please, don't everyone PM me at once :)

Not a chance! :)

I haven't noticed that on mine. Maybe you got a bad unit? They certainly don't lay quite as flat as the prior seats but that doesn't bother me. I still prefer them.

I also have front and back NG seats and don't notice that it's, "ugly on its back side. It does not sit flush and you can see metal supports from the behind and a large gap". Like sandpiper said, "They certainly don't lay quite as flat as the prior seats but that doesn't bother me. I still prefer them" I also agree, it doesn't bother me.

Say I was able to get my hands on some 'like new' next gen seats for my MS, do you think there is a snowballs chance in Phoenix, that TM would perform the upgrade / retrofit with my supplied seats??? I'm obviously happy to pay the install cost and labor.

Say I was able to get my hands on some 'like new' next gen seats for my MS, do you think there is a snowballs chance in Phoenix, that TM would perform the upgrade / retrofit with my supplied seats??? I'm obviously happy to pay the install cost and labor.

Call em up and ask, worst they can do is say no. I was thinking about going to the local auto upholstery shop and getting my original seats redone, they worked over the seats on my C6 corvette and they turned out great.

Sogorman, did you succeed installing the next gen seats in your classic with or without help from Tesla? I can also get my hands on some next gen seats, but I don't know if they fit in my classic (March 2014).

Does any one know if you can do the retrofit without help from tesla?

Sogorman, did you succeed installing the next gen seats in your classic with or without help from Tesla? I can also get my hands on some next gen seats, but I don't know if they fit in my classic (March 2014).

Does any one know if you can do the retrofit without help from tesla?

Any suggestions where you can get your hands on the next gens? Reading other threads, Tesla won't help you with the re-programming to recognize the seats. I heard the power functions work, but you need the door tether too... but need reprogramming for airbag.

If you're actually paying for NG seats from Tesla, I would highly recommend you get Premium seats instead. The Next Gens are notorious for having "rocking" issues and overall QC problems. Search "rocking seat" and you will see what I am talking about. On my previous refresh MS75 I owned, I had both front seats replaced shortly after delivery due to the seats coming loose and starting to rock back and forth when braking.... Many others have reported similar issues with the Next Gens... just a friendly FYI

Its very possible this was one of the many reasons why they discontinued the seat in the first place.

If you're actually paying for NG seats from Tesla, I would highly recommend you get Premium seats instead. The Next Gens are notorious for having "rocking" issues and overall QC problems. Search "rocking seat" and you will see what I am talking about. On my previous refresh MS75 I owned, I had both front seats replaced shortly after delivery due to the seats coming loose and starting to rock back and forth when braking.... Many others have reported similar issues with the Next Gens... just a friendly FYI

Its very possible this was one of the many reasons why they discontinued the seat in the first place.
Mine never did this, they are awesome.

Has anyone done this? If so, please post your experience here along with price. Many thanks!
Ty

I get them installed on Monday. My service center ordered them and will install them. Had doubts about doing this until I sat in SUPRKAR's NextGen seats and drove a loaner that had them. That convinced me that the change would be worth it. Much more comfortable in every way and for me, that fact that the provided much more support during hard cornering was especially important.

Maybe I missed somwthing, but the next gen seats are the sporty ones designed by recap right? What are the premium seats? I thought those were the regular standard seats.

The easiest way to tell the difference is the next gen seats have a fixed headrest and the premium seats have a similar stich pattern but has an adjustable headrest. And yes from how I understood it, next gen was made by Recaro and the Premium seats are Tesla made