Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CBC news: Tesla thief foiled!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A neat little news piece of a thief who stole a Tesla and was tracked and reported to the police by the owners, thanks to the Tesla iPhone app. A nice vignette for Tesla.

Happened right in my "backyard"!
Video:
CTV Vancouver: GPS leads police to stolen car | CTV News

Text article:
B.C. couple tracks their stolen Tesla car with app, police nab suspect | CTV News | Autos

Ooops: It's actually CTV news, not CBC. Sorry, CTV! Can't edit the title.

Happy they got their car back, and no one was hurt.

How was it stolen? Article implies it was unexpected, though also says it was carjacked?

The thief was not smart enough to disable the remote access. To prevent smarter thief from doing that, we need a PIN for user to disable remote access.

Valet Mode disables it... and it can be turned on via the Mobile App. The only thing is I'm not sure what happens if you remotely activate Valet Mode when the car is already under way.

Valet Mode disables it... and it can be turned on via the Mobile App. The only thing is I'm not sure what happens if you remotely activate Valet Mode when the car is already under way.

You can't, I've tried it (well I guess I tried it on the previous Android version, maybe things changed with the most recent one).

You can't, I've tried it (well I guess I tried it on the previous Android version, maybe things changed with the most recent one).

Looks like you're right. It seems the car has to be in Park to enable/disable it:

IMG_0559.PNG