Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla got rear ended, still driveable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was stopped in traffic behind a line of cars waiting for the car in front to make a left turn. All of a sudden BOOM.

2014tesla.jpeg

The rear bumper flew right off and landed on top of the vehicle that hit me, which was this one:

2014_tesla_cop.jpg

Yep, that's right. A squad car complete with steel cattle pusher thing hit my stopped car at a pretty high speed. No idea what happened, whether the officer was just not looking or what, but it was really scary.

One thing I do have to say is that even though the jolt was a shock, the car took it pretty well and I think the squad car actually bounced off my car because my car didn't budge forward at all, judging from lack of tire marks.

I don't have a rear facing dash cam but maybe the officer had one? But then knowing the police, that footage may go missing coincidentally...

I'm grateful no one was seriously hurt, but really bummed at having to go thru the whole insurance and repair process. And considering the city is involved now, who knows how long that will take.

Does the officer who hit you get to write the report? Or one of his friends on the force? It sounds like it would be hard for the police officer to deny fault but who knows. It will be interesting to hear how it works out.

Does the officer who hit you get to write the report? Or one of his friends on the force? It sounds like it would be hard for the police officer to deny fault but who knows. It will be interesting to hear how it works out.

I was worried about that. There were actually 2 other squad cars behind him, so getting police on site was not a problem. I learned that protocol when a police car hits you is for CHP to take care of it. The car that hit me was a city police car, so we had to wait for CHP officers to get there to file the report. The other officers there said it was pretty clear what happened and that I don't need to worry about it, but what if IT'S A TRAP?

It's always a trap, lol. Did the officer get hurt? The squad car didn't fare too well...

He got a pretty bad abrasion or burn on his arm from his airbags deploying, but he was mostly shocked that it happened. I think he got the brunt of the injuries since it was a head-on collision for him. My car was still driveable (minus a bumper) so I moved it off to the side after all the pictures and stuff was done, but his had to be pushed by the other squad cars.

After MobilEye announced the 5 EyeQ3 chips to get to autonomous driving, I had this brief thought of "should I have waited for full autonomous before buying the Tesla?", but after seeing your pic, I'm convinced I made the correct decision.

I was worried about that. There were actually 2 other squad cars behind him, so getting police on site was not a problem. I learned that protocol when a police car hits you is for CHP to take care of it. The car that hit me was a city police car, so we had to wait for CHP officers to get there to file the report. The other officers there said it was pretty clear what happened and that I don't need to worry about it, but what if IT'S A TRAP?

Standard practice. Illinois State Police do the same when it involves a local police officer or county sheriff's deputy.

I hope you made a citizen's arrest.

Make sure you go after diminished value. That accident reduced the value of your car by at least a good $10-15K.

I really hope you are not injured but whiplash sometimes takes days to deliver. If they the least bit drag their feet on making you whole, get an attorney. You are pretty much owed a new car at this point.