Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 hardware rumored this year on EyeQ3, article link enclosed - 8 cameras!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There goes my $2,000 referral discount and $2,500 California EV credit - but if waiting 6 more months means buying a car with all the hardware necessary for much more capable autonomous driving for the next decade then I'll just have to wait.

Seriously - Elon doesn't stand still long enough for anyone to catch their breath.

Supplier hints at next generation Autopilot hardware for Tesla as soon as this year | Electrek

"But Aviram said that some customers were pushing the company for more applications:
“The appetite of the OEMs we work with is growing and the first application is going to be much wider than what we planned. We see acceleration of the development and needs of our customers to present much more sophisticated systems.”
The CEO described the “more sophisticated system” saying that one OEM is already implementing it in a vehicle:
“Today we are already preparing with one of the OEM, a first vehicle based on 8 cameras, one radar and ultrasonic around the vehicle. So this is much wider implementation of the first introduction of semi-autonomous driving and the trifocal is going to be here as we planned, but additional 4 cameras around the vehicle and one camera looking back. The system will run on 5 EyeQ3 chips and all of them will be connected.”
Aviram didn’t disclose which automaker is testing the system, but he hinted it could find its way into a commercial product as soon as this year and we know that Tesla has been testing a similar hardware suite."

I guarantee that this rumor is true because I just ordered my car. My guess is that it will start being packed into new builds the day after my car is produced, which will be sometime in early December. You're welcome:) Seriously though, even if this was confirmed before my order finalizes, I wouldn't cancel. Autopilot 1.0 is more than adequate for me. Every day that goes by that I either drive my diesel tank or ride the commuter bus, I lose a little more of my soul. Can't wait to get my car!!!

Just listening in to Mobileye's conference call now. They pretty much invariably confirmed that Tesla is next to have the 8 camera system and that will help enable full autonomous driving. So next up will be a hardware upgrade to 8 camera system and then software updates all the way.

On Deep learning and Auto pilot is self improving. Mobileye is not part of the self learning. Mobileye have their own massive database that builds on a wider scope of scenes, scenarios and geographical roads and is much bigger than Tesla's. They have data from all automakers as opposed to Tesla.

The CEO described the “more sophisticated system” saying that one OEM is already implementing it in a vehicle:
“Today we are already preparing with one of the OEM, a first vehicle based on 8 cameras, one radar and ultrasonic around the vehicle. So this is much wider implementation of the first introduction of semi-autonomous driving and the trifocal is going to be here as we planned, but additional 4 cameras around the vehicle and one camera looking back. The system will run on 5 EyeQ3 chips and all of them will be connected.”
Aviram didn’t disclose which automaker is testing the system, but he hinted it could find its way into a commercial product as soon as this year and we know that Tesla has been testing a similar hardware suite.

Oh boy.. I have 72 hours to decide if I want to push my production date of my 70d out until March/April before I am locked into December. What would you do?

Oh boy.. I have 72 hours to decide if I want to push my production date of my 70d out until March/April before I am locked into December. What would you do?

That depends. Does the Model S do everything you want it to do now? If so, hit order. If not, then wait for something SPECIFIC. If you're going to continue waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll never have a Model S. They improve the car weekly.

On Deep learning and Auto pilot is self improving. Mobileye is not part of the self learning. Mobileye have their own massive database that builds on a wider scope of scenes, scenarios and geographical roads and is much bigger than Tesla's. They have data from all automakers as opposed to Tesla.
Now I understand why Tesla did not use the Mobileye software, and chose to be a tier 1 partner. Tesla wants to deploy the deep learning. This will be the differentiator for good or bad. I hope for GOOD.