Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty if used as a livery (commercial) vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I buy a Tesla for livery (car for hire, Uber, taxi) purposes, will they honor the "infinity mile" warranty?

Not trying to be flippant but how would they even know?

If you use it for Uber wouldn't the car just be titled and insured under your own name? What difference does it make for the warranty whether you are a salesman driving hundreds of miles a day visiting various clients or you are transporting people with Uber?

Shouldn't the time and mileage provisions of the warranty be honored regardless as that's what you paid for? I know Bjorn uses his car for a transportation business if I understand correctly and his warranty coverage to my knowledge has not been affected.

If anything I think Tesla should extend your warranty for free for using your car with Uber for the extra exposure :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
I will let you know if Tesla Service says anything... I have my car in for warranty service right now -and there's a big honking UBER sticker on the windshield!
Granted, she only has 33,000 miles on her...

I am always amazed by questions asked on forum. I would ask tesla directly for the answer. Would only rely on official answer from company. Answers here would not be binding

Good advice :) OP, I agree you should ask directly from Tesla but please share with us what you hear from Tesla. Perhaps the OP asked thinking that someone may have already asked this fro Tesla.

In any case, I think Tesla is well aware that Model S cars are used as Uber cars by some owners and in fact Elon himself recently tweeted about a Model S used for Uber that avoided an accident thanks to Autopilot.

Welcome to the forum!
I will let you know if Tesla Service says anything... I have my car in for warranty service right now -and there's a big honking UBER sticker on the windshield!
Granted, she only has 33,000 miles on her...

I was toying with the idea of doing some part time uber work. How do you find it? What about gap insurance? Is Uber driving worth it?

Last edited:
Good advice :) OP, I agree you should ask directly from Tesla but please share with us what you hear from Tesla. Perhaps the OP asked thinking that someone may have already asked this fro Tesla.

In any case, I think Tesla is well aware that Model S cars are used as Uber cars by some owners and in fact Elon himself recently tweeted about a Model S used for Uber that avoided an accident thanks to Autopilot.

Of course, I'm going to hear from Tesla for the exact answer. My salesman is supposed to call me back, but he seems to be busy.

Also, I wanted to know, for certain, from someone with personal experience in this matter. If Bjorn or anyone else has experience in this matter, it would be great to hear from someone who has actually been there, done that. I'd hate to be told by Tesla that it's OK, so they can make the sale, and then I'm stuck with no warranty on a $100,000 car.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I'm not really looking to do Uber with it. It wouldn't make financial sense. However, I wanted to include that in the key words, if anyone is researching. I couldn't find much difinitive info on the subject, just yet.

For sure, I'll update when I get word from Tesla.

Hi,

I have recently bought a Limo business, and have replaced the two Lincoln Towncars we had with CPO P85s.

So far, all Warranty issues have been taken care of, despite having fat TCP stickers on the bumpers and airport permits.

I have been advised by my service advisor, that they have been instructed to treat them as normal.

I have scoured the warranty documentation, and there is nothing in there to state that commercial or livery/for hire vehicles are excluded.

Hi,

I have recently bought a Limo business, and have replaced the two Lincoln Towncars we had with CPO P85s.

So far, all Warranty issues have been taken care of, despite having fat TCP stickers on the bumpers and airport permits.

I have been advised by my service advisor, that they have been instructed to treat them as normal.

I have scoured the warranty documentation, and there is nothing in there to state that commercial or livery/for hire vehicles are excluded.

That's awesome. Thank you for the info. I'm looking at doing longer distance rides, where there are superchargers. No "gas" cost!

And if there's no oil changes, no maintenance for 8 years... wellllll...

I'm thinking that this is a really, REALLY smart buy for a black car business. CPO is bumper to bumper for the first 50,000 miles, and then infinity miles. And free supercharging? Not to mention, my city has free charging via a partnership with Duke Energy.

So, what am I missing here? The tires will cost more than the "gas." I'm looking at under 40 cents a mile to operate the first 50,000 miles. Under 30 cents a mile at 100,000 miles a year.

Are my numbers inaccurate? This seems like a real no brainer.