Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bush is the Father of Electric Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Anyone know how to find Bush's quote?

Urgh. Gritting my teeth trying to find anything someone might consider positive he said. (Floating among a seat of euphemistic rhetorical subterfuge there is probably a quote here or there that could be re-purposed in hindsight.)

Maybe they were talking about this? :
Has 'W' Gone Green? - VolNation
REVE - Regulación Eólica con Vehículos Eléctricos -
...“It’s in our economic interests that we diversify away from oil.” "I fully believe plug-in hybrids will be a transition to electric cars,"...
But wait, that was only a year ago after it was clear that the "tides had already turned."

Then you have this sort of thing:

Automakers, Bush administration push flex-fuel cars while ignoring electric vehicles

Battery Electric Vehicles vs. Hydrogen Vehicles | EVHUB updates - B2B, B2C, Information and media ex
...President George W. Bush promised that a child born at the beginning of his administration would be able to buy a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle as their first car...

Last edited:
Thanks for trying TEG. A Bush quote would carry weight with the political EV haters. (This is a job for the Daily Show.)

The man himself may not have been an EV denier. He rode a mountain bike and his SS team had electric bikes. I would think anything that happened on his eight year watch would have been done by a Democratic congress and he just did not fight it -which I suppose could count for something.

I'm going to paraphrase(co-opt?) that first quote to something like:

George W. Bush even said. "
...“It’s in our economic interests that we diversify away from oil.” "I fully believe we should transition to electric cars,"...

Though I would prefer the national security angle.

Last edited:
Agree V...Bush was wrong to support hydrogen vehicles over EV's...but it "was what it was"...an mistake ...this does not make GWB an "anti EV guy"...just makes him wrong, like many others...

Thanks for trying TEG. A Bush quote would carry weight with the political EV haters. (This is a job for the Daily Show.)

The man himself may not have been an EV denier. He rode a mountain bike and his SS team had electric bikes. I would think anything that happened on his eight year watch would have been done by a Democratic congress and he just did not fight it -which I suppose could count for something.

I'm going to paraphrase(co-opt?) that first quote to something like:

George W. Bush even said. "

Though I would prefer the national security angle.

Last edited:
As recently as 2006, Scientific American published an article called "High Hopes for Hydrogen", where they laid out a roadmap for a transition to hydrogen powered cars. It makes a good read, even if it is all a pipe dream.

I'm sure many of the proponents of hydrogen honestly believe in it. Lots of people drank the kool-ade. The reality is that hydrogen is extremely unlikely to reach technological or economic viability. It will do nothing to get us off fossil fuels since they are the easiest way to make hydrogen. Even if by some miracle it someday becomes viable, battery technology will already have been established, and it will be redundant.

Bush read a script someone put in front of him. I'm sure he never gave more than a moment's thought to alternative energy sources for transportation.

...Bush read a script someone put in front of him. I'm sure he never gave more than a moment's thought to alternative energy sources for transportation...

If you spout enough scripted "sound bytes" eventually someone can cherry pick whatever message they want...

bushgm.jpg

Bush Checks Out PHEV and EV on White House Lawn

Editorial: Analyzing President Bush's short speech on electric cars and cellulosic ethanol Autoblog Green

Archived Video

Last edited by a moderator:
Who Killed the Electric Car: Press Kit
...5) Government: Guilty
In October 2002, the Bush administration joined automakers and
car dealers in their lawsuit against the California Air Resources Board’s
Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) mandate, arguing that it amounted to an
attempt to regulate fuel economy, which only the federal government
has the authority to do. From 1990 to 2004, seven other states
adopted California’s stringent ZEV mandate. Then, in April 2004, the
California Air Resources Board further modified its ZEV mandate,
effectively eliminating electric cars from the clean air equation.
The Bush administration’s antagonism to the electric vehicle is perhaps
unsurprising, given its links to the oil and automotive industries. For
example, Bush’s former Chief of Staff Andrew Card had been a GM
Vice President, and was President and CEO of the American
Automobile Manufacturers Association during its assault on the ZEV
mandate in California (see “Bush Administration Links to the Oil and
Auto Industries” in the Fact Sheet)...

EV WORLD INSIDER: Bill Moore's Perspective
...Of Hypocrites: Conservative and Liberal
One of the great puzzlements about George W. Bush is the dichotomy between his public posture and private. I’ve pointed out in the past that he seems to have a genuine interest in sustainable technologies from riding bikes to using alternative fuels on his Texas retreat in Crawford. Yet, his administration, like his predecessor, has done next to nothing to encourage greater energy conservation or to pressure carmakers to improve the fuel efficiency of their products. Instead, he was the chief cheerleader of an ill-conceived enterprise that has squandered precious lives and is bankrupting the nation in a dangerous political gamble largely over oil...