Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overloading a NISSAN EVSE with a Roadster UMC ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think he sets the Roadster to pull 40amps from an EVSE only designed for 30amps...

I'm pretty sure the EVSE is smart enough to tell the Roadster to only pull 24 amps or whatever the max rating of the EVSE is.. and I'm pretty sure the Roadster is smart enough to listen and ignore the idiot human.

that said, I have not yet watched the full video...

I'm pretty sure the EVSE is smart enough to tell the Roadster to only pull 24 amps or whatever the max rating of the EVSE is.. and I'm pretty sure the Roadster is smart enough to listen and ignore the idiot human.
that said, I have not yet watched the full video...

You should watch it. He uses a J1772 to NEMA 14-50 adapter first. That part doesn't preserve the pilot signal from the EVSE.
He then plugs a Roadster UMC into the adapter and with the 14-50 plug on the UMC, it generates a 40AMP (secondary) pilot signal to the Roadster.
He then manually selects 40 AMP charging from the Roadster VDS without checking the label on the EVSE or the breaker behind it.
I happen to know that those Nissan/Aerovironment EVSEs were typically rated only for 30 amps.

road-40a.png

Nissan EV Charging Stations – AeroVironment, Inc. Online Store
nissan-e.png

When people overload an EVSE like that it might work for a short while, but overheat the equipment, and cause it to have pre-mature failure later.

You can end up with problems like melted pins on the J plug...
melt1.png

Last edited:
You should watch it. He uses a J1772 to NEMA 14-50 adapter first. That part doesn't preserve the pilot signal from the EVSE.
He then plugs a Roadster UMC into the adapter and with the 14-50 plug on the UMC, it generates a 40AMP (secondary) pilot signal to the Roadster.
He then manually selects 40 AMP charging from the Roadster VDS without checking the label on the EVSE or the breaker behind it.
I happen to know that those Nissan/Aerovironment EVSEs were typically rated only for 30 amps.

Hopefully the EVSE has overcurrent protection. If not, things may break. Most 30A EVSE's are on 40A breakers (next size up, required for the 125% rule).

I know some PlugShare chargers shut down if they detect the car drawing too much current; in fact, I've seen one that shut down unless the car was set to 2A under.