Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla LONG term storage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the military and I have a Tesla on order. In a year or two, I may have to do what we call a "short tour" to a region like South Korea, Egypt or Honduras. These are one year long tours in which you leave your family and possessions in the US. Typically if you are single like I am, the military puts all of your belongings into storage. This includes your vehicle.

My question would be; if my 90D is fully charged and then put into storage mode, will the battery be ruined after one year? Must the car be plugged in for long duration storage? I'd assume the military vehicle storage facilities don't have electric outlets for EV's. I would have to procure a storage facility myself that has an electrical outlet, if they exist. That may be preffereable anyway seeing as then I could put the car on jack stands and get the weight off the tires/suspension. Something that isn't done in regular storage.

Anyone have any experience with LONG term storage with a Model S?

Talk to Tesla about this, but your best solution if you must put it in a storage facility is to disconnect the 12V battery. This is what folks do that ship their cars (months of travel). It is also what most folks do with their ICE cars. The only problem is that getting to the 12V battery in a Model S is a lot harder than with your typical ICE.

Disconnecting the 12V battery will make sure that the Li-ion battery stays disconnected from everything. The Li-ion self discharge rate is pretty small, but I would probably start it at 60% or 70%, just to leave some margin.

Good Luck!

I agree the best best is to ask Tesla, but if you do end up disconnecting the battery, you'll want to make sure that the car is stored somewhere that will not experience extreme temperatures as the active cooling / heating of the pack will be disabled with the 12V disconnected.

I'd still ask to see if there is a place it could be stored with a 110V outlet. I'd set the charge current to something low to prevent the breaker from tripping if someone else uses the circuit. Even then, you'll want to make sure someone can keep an eye on it because you could end up with a breaker tripping or someone unplugging the cable accidentally.

Maybe you could lend the car to a good friend or colleague for a small prize. If he pays you $10 a day and takes care of the car you don't have to worry about the battery and after the year you end up with a couple thousand extra dollars in the bank. I am not sure about the insurance, though.

Reactions: APotatoGod