Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Tesla S 70 battery issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a two month old (4,300 miles) Tesla S 70 rear wheel drive. Maximum range 240 miles. On Friday I travelled to San Diego and charged the car in a super charger (Fountain Valley, CA) the car only charged 231 miles. Once in San Diego I charged in the San Diego supercharger and again 231 miles. Once in The hotel I charged on a wall outlet and again 231 miles. I unplugged the car and after 20 hours the charge went down to 225 miles. I drove back to OC and charged the car with my home 240 outlet and now it charged 228 miles. This car charged up to 240 miles less than a month ago. I called Tesla and I got some guy who had no idea about the car. What is going on? This car is two months old!!!! Has anyone had the same problem? I am planning to travel up north with my family and I am concerned about this rapid loss of battery capabilities. Thanks

I have a two month old (4,300 miles) Tesla S 70 rear wheel drive. Maximum range 240 miles. On Friday I travelled to San Diego and charged the car in a super charger (Fountain Valley, CA) the car only charged 231 miles. Once in San Diego I charged in the San Diego supercharger and again 231 miles. Once in The hotel I charged on a wall outlet and again 231 miles. I unplugged the car and after 20 hours the charge went down to 225 miles. I drove back to OC and charged the car with my home 240 outlet and now it charged 228 miles. This car charged up to 240 miles less than a month ago. I called Tesla and I got some guy who had no idea about the car. What is going on? This car is two months old!!!! Has anyone had the same problem? I am planning to travel up north with my family and I am concerned about this rapid loss of battery capabilities. Thanks

When you write "231 miles" and "228 miles" is that rated or estimated range?
Estimated range is a calculation based on driving history, so it can change over time.
Rated range is intended to be a consistent measure. However, it can vary because it's challenging to measure the current capacity of a lithium battery.

So it seems you are max range charging while only using about ~100 rated miles? If so, then your pack is not able to balance. Try to more deeply cycle the battery. In other words, get it down to like 10 rated miles and then back up to max. Do this a few times and it will give you a better idea of your max rated range.

Also, there is no need to charge to max versus daily. But I assume you are seeing this message on the 17" when plugging in?

If you have an 70S, the max range is supposed to be 230 miles. The 70D is 240.

Same battery packs with same capacity but your should only estimate around 230 since it is less efficient with a single motor. Also, as you drive and charge you'll start to likely never get that 230 quoted after a while, the system estimation will adjust to your driving style. For example, I have a 70D and my 100% charge lately is around 236 or 238 I think, it was 242 or even higher at first.

-T

Last edited:
If you have an 70S, the max range is supposed to be 230 miles. The 70D is 240.

Same battery packs with same capacity but your should only estimate around 230 since it is less efficient with a single motor. Also, as you drive and charge you'll start to likely never get that 230 quoted after a while, the system estimation will adjust to your driving style. For example, I have a 70D and my 100% charge lately is around 236 or 238 I think, it was 242 or even higher at first.

-T

Lucky you. I'm at 235 on my 70D now at 100% charge and 209 at 90%.

I have a two month old (4,300 miles) Tesla S 70 rear wheel drive. Maximum range 240 miles.
Since you clearly state that you have the 70 rear wheel drive model and not the Dual Motor "D" model, I can clearly state that Tesla says the max range of your car is 230 miles (not 240).
Your Model S70 is just fine. But you need to stop doing 100% charges constantly. It will degrade your battery faster than normal.
In the first year your battery capacity will likely fall 1-2%. After that it will fall about 1%/year or less.
In your part of the world you have lots of Superchargers available to you, with more on the way in the near future. Charge your car to 70 to 80% routinely and only charge above around 90% if you really need the range for a specific trip.

In the first year your battery capacity will likely fall 1-2%. After that it will fall about 1%/year or less.

I think it also depends on how much you drive (though 90 cars is a very small subset to make any firm conclusions from):

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096801_tesla-model-s-battery-life-how-much-range-loss-for-electric-car-over-time said:
Based on 84 data points from the 85-kWh version of the Model S and six from 60-kWh cars, the study concludes that the Model S will retain about 94 percent of its capacity after 50,000 miles, with losses thereafter shrinking to about 1 percent per 30,000 miles.

Interesting, yeah today my 90% yielded a 220 estimated range again. Your in Chicago right also? I have 3100 miles on so far, mostly city driving, etc. We'll see as have been charing to 50% usually but just changed back to 90% for a bit.
-T

I'm in Northern VA, and based on your VIN I got my car maybe a week before you. But I have 10,500 miles already. Usually charge to 90%.

You know, sometimes I think they should have never put RANGE as part of the info display. There's no way to tell A. How much energy is in the battery and B. How your going to drive your car. I get instantaneous ranges of about 600 miles on my car..for a few seconds. Depending on whether I'm going down hill or not. You just can't tell!

My 70D has 18,000 miles, and still charges to 231 to about 237 rated miles (EPA 250 miles / Tesla 240 rated miles)

When the car was charged the first time, it showed 241, and the second charge went to 245. It has never repeated that.

It appears your battery is very normal.

I like rated miles, as it provides a baseline value that actually makes sense. If I drive 65-70mph on a level road without cold weather or a headwind, it will actually go very close to the rated range. I can make mental notes and rules of thumb to estimate how much above or below that value a particular trip will use. If I want to drive 80-90mph, I know I need 150% of rated miles (require 150 miles rated range to travel 100 miles). If I beginning a trip with a cold car, indeed to add the same 150%, or slow down until such time as the battery and cabin heater consumption stabilizes.

In addition, the trip range estimator is VERY accurate, as I have learned in the past 18,000 miles.

Yes, we could just have % on the screen, and maybe there would be less complaining in general.