Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade-in Offer a Joke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You folks were right. The Tesla trade-in offers are ridiculously low. It took the Cleveland OA almost two weeks to come up with a trade-in appraisal, and what he came up with was about $20,000 below what Kelly Bluebook says the trade-in value for my car should be. Trading a car in to Tesla is definitely not the way to go.

Trading a car into a dealer or manufacturer is rarely the way to go.
You will almost always come out better selling it privately.

That said, KBB value for Tesla's are highly suspect, and I doubt you would get $20k above Tesla's trade in value.
In our case, we figured we could get a couple thousand more than what Tesla offered us. However, with the tax treatment of the trade in, the Tesla offer easily beat the most likely private sale value.

You folks were right. The Tesla trade-in offers are ridiculously low. It took the Cleveland OA almost two weeks to come up with a trade-in appraisal, and what he came up with was about $20,000 below what Kelly Bluebook says the trade-in value for my car should be. Trading a car in to Tesla is definitely not the way to go.
Have you found anyone willing to buy your Tesla for $20,000 more than what KBB says? Until then, I think it's premature to call the offer ridiculously low.

I just went through this. Tesla now uses local brokers who essentially offer what they would pay at an auction. In other words way below wholesale KBB (i.e. dealer trade-in value). You are better off going to AutoNation or CarMax or optimally selling it yourself. Tesla makes nothing off these trade-ins, that isn't their business. It's just a convenience for buyers.

I just went through this. Tesla now uses local brokers who essentially offer what they would pay at an auction. In other words way below wholesale KBB (i.e. dealer trade-in value). You are better off going to AutoNation or CarMax or optimally selling it yourself. Tesla makes nothing off these trade-ins, that isn't their business. It's just a convenience for buyers.

+1, if you don't want to deal with the edentulous characters scoping out your property, go Carmax, they sell the car directly so sometimes you get above KBB, my neighbor did.

I traded in my 2012 SanteFe for my first Model S, and was actually very happy with the offer Tesla gave me on it. They actually came in a little bit above KBB for the car. I think it just depends on what you are trading in, and what the current alignment of the moon and stars is.

Hmmm, numbers are I think a bit skewed in sales tax states. Here in Washington you pay sales tax on the difference between your trade in and purchase. Which is the only reason I am considering it, as when I brought the car there was no sales tax....

I got my values today from Tesla. $10,000 below KBB. Since I have transferable extended warranty, it makes sense to attempt a sale to a private party IF I like the Model X more than my 2012 Signature Red Model S.

What surprised me is when I brought up how much more they were going to sell my car for, they quoted me their future sales price. About $3,000 less than KBB.

It was a bit frustrating to learn that their value was about half of what I paid 3 years ago. Their value would work out to about $1 a mile of depreciation for my usage. Considering cross country driving, it might be more cost effective to fly and save some of the trade-in value.

I got my values today from Tesla. $10,000 below KBB. Since I have transferable extended warranty, it makes sense to attempt a sale to a private party IF I like the Model X more than my 2012 Signature Red Model S.

What surprised me is when I brought up how much more they were going to sell my car for, they quoted me their future sales price. About $3,000 less than KBB.

It was a bit frustrating to learn that their value was about half of what I paid 3 years ago. Their value would work out to about $1 a mile of depreciation for my usage. Considering cross country driving, it might be more cost effective to fly and save some of the trade-in value.
People generally don't buy Teslas to be cost effective.

Traded in my 2013 "40" and got 90% of what I paid (factoring in the Fed rebate). Know it was because it was converted to a "60" at no cost to Tesla. Actually sold as Certified Pre-Owned for less than what I was paid. Go figure . . .

Place an ad on the classifieds here on the forum. I received a low ball from Cleveland/Columbus but priced the car right on the forum and sold it in 6 days. I also placed ads on cars.com and craigslist.org, both generated interest but you have to price it right. Look at the cars already on the classifieds, and the CPO website and don't over-price it.

Just so you realize, Kelly Bluebook means absolutely nothing when it comes to Tesla valuations. Those figures were pulled out of someone's rear end. Before the D's actually arrived the beginning of this year there was not much of a used Tesla market to begin with.

If you want some idea about Tesla vehicle valuations that have any basis in fact and reality just look up sold listings on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks..._salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=25&LH_Complete=1