Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

benjiejr

Technogeekextraordinaire
Nov 20, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
I could not get the Autopark feature to recognize a parallel parking spot without putting a trash bin on the curb. My guess is that it didn't recognize the 7" curb. Once I put the trash bin on the curb it would recognize it. I tried this many, many times over the span of an hour with and without the trash bin and with the trash bin in different locations. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but I think it's just a bug that will be worked out soon. I am currently on firmware 2.7.77.

Here's the video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice vid, thanks.

I have yet to trigger it on mine but have tried several times, in different locations downtown Toronto, some of them very clear, very open, and well curbed. But every time I see how it parks I grimace at how much steering happens while the car is completely stopped... so I'd likely not use it anyway, though it would be nice to know mine works so I'll keep your test setup in mind.

Nice vid, thanks.

I have yet to trigger it on mine but have tried several times, in different locations downtown Toronto, some of them very clear, very open, and well curbed. But every time I see how it parks I grimace at how much steering happens while the car is completely stopped... so I'd likely not use it anyway, though it would be nice to know mine works so I'll keep your test setup in mind.

Thank you @Lex! Yes, I had a very difficult time myself. I think it will get much better over time. It seemed to get very close in the front and back and even the curb the couple times I tested it out. It does do a lot of steering while sitting still yet I was very impressed (and scared at the same time)!

Awesome video! What was that clunk or sound when shifting to reverse? Is that only heard outside the car? Since I've never been outside my car when shifting to reverse I've never heard it before. I'm going to go try it now with my windows down. Any excuse to drive it. NOPE. No sound except my rear-view mirror motors as they angle down when I put it in reverse.

The sound is at 1:02 in the video.

Awesome video! What was that clunk or sound when shifting to reverse? Is that only heard outside the car? Since I've never been outside my car when shifting to reverse I've never heard it before. I'm going to go try it now with my windows down. Any excuse to drive it. NOPE. No sound except my rear-view mirror motors as they angle down when I put it in reverse.

The sound is at 1:02 in the video.

Thank you! I listened to that spot again and I believe that was me hitting the brakes when I saw the "P" pop up on the screen; I know I hadn't hit reverse yet. I'm guessing that was just the brakes making noise like they sometimes do on my car. We've had lots of rain and maybe that contributed. From what I've read in other posts it seemed pretty normal to have those brake sounds. I don't get it all the time but I have gotten them enough to look for it in the forums. It might have seemed louder too because the camera was very close to it and at the same level. I'm curious if you sometimes have similar noises coming from your brakes? Thanks again for your comments!

Thank you @Discoducky and @Douglas - it's a blue satin chrome wrap. In the sun it looks lighter colored because the chrome is reflective but in the dark or low light it looks much darker and satin (somewhere between matte and gloss). Appreciate the kind words!

Thank you for sharing. That is great!
Wow, I am envious.
~Larry

Thank you sir!

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool vid! Quite educational, thank you. I'll have to try that, but I'm going to die if my car curbs its rims while self-parking!
And allow me to second what others have stated regarding your wrap... awesome! Love the blacked-out chrome bits!

Man, if Burt Reynolds likes it then something MUST be right! lol Thank you! I thought the same thing when I first tested the Autopark feature - it got sooo close to the front, then back, and afterwards I looked at the curb and it was probably about 3 inches away!

No, I haven't heard a sound like that from my car yet. I'm sure I will someday though, as my car is just a few months old right now (with 13k miles already, you can tell I love to drive it). That sounded like an electric car fart, if you'll excuse the expression! Agree with everyone else - the wrap is cool! I may have to do that sometime as well. I have a lot of rock chips already from driving in Houston downtown rush hour traffic daily. Maybe a wrap would help.

No, I haven't heard a sound like that from my car yet. I'm sure I will someday though, as my car is just a few months old right now (with 13k miles already, you can tell I love to drive it). That sounded like an electric car fart, if you'll excuse the expression! Agree with everyone else - the wrap is cool! I may have to do that sometime as well. I have a lot of rock chips already from driving in Houston downtown rush hour traffic daily. Maybe a wrap would help.

Thanks! It does help with rock chips. I have several on my car where it nicked the wrap and I can see the unharmed paint below (it didn't go through the paint to the aluminum). Similar to the clear wraps but not quite a thick and protective. One time I saw a huge rock come across 3 lanes and bounce off my hood and hit my windshield and it left a nice mark on my wrap but didn't damage the paint. The windshield even got a good nick but I think I was lucky it bounced off the hood first because it slowed it down, otherwise I'm pretty sure it would have cracked the windshield.

Very cool indeed! I noticed the same issue, been driving around Vancouver down town and final found a curb that is higher than normal to get the auto park to work.

Thanks @SUNNY. Yeah, another local Tesla guy ran a few tests in my neighborhood with his car (no wrap) and had the same issues I had so all I can assume is that it has something to do with the rounded edge of the curb or something. I'm sure this will be improved soon via updates.