Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powertrain Problem ID: 963

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I searched around and found lots of Powertrain Problem reports, but never with ID: 963, DATA: 0x40000000. DMC FW: Line Current Not Equal Request fault.

IMG_2484.jpg

I plugged my car in last Thursday night, it charged for a while at 40A from the HPWC. After a while the HPWC did it's THUNK and I thought it was done, but it thunked several times. I went out to the garage and found this error. If I restart charging, it will go through 3 cycles of trying to charge before giving up and showing a red ring on the charge port. I tried again with the UMC, but it produced the same error.

The car is at 66% charge, and is drivable. If I put it in gear, the error goes away and I can drive normally. The error returns when I try to charge again.

I called the Denver Service Center and they said they would rather pick it up, than have me drive it down. I'm wondering if this is something simple, or if it's going to be a hugely expensive fix. It's a few days from it's annual service, so could it be something as simple as a dirty PEM?

From my list: 963 with rank 4 = internal PEM fault. Remedy says replace PEM. Not good news but the service center would know for sure. I would say don't drive if you can't charge.

I got that error (DMC FW: Line Current Not Equal Request fault) when one of the fuses blew to the battery heater. It would retry every couple of minutes just like yours did with repeated thunks from the charger. But I'm not sure that's your problem if it happened at the end of a 40A charge. By then your battery would have been warm enough so as not to need pack heating.

@hcsharp
Is there a thread where a list of errors and debug errors is posted???

I was getting a similar "powertrain..." error and Bethesda service replaced one of my PEM fans. The problem has been gone for about a month now.

I got my roadster back yesterday... Seems like 2 fuses blew.

Concern: Customer states: Car is unable to charge

Corrections: Line Fuses - PEM - Roadster 1.5
Removed and replaced line fuses in Power Electronics Module. Re-installed PowerElectronic Module and tested operation of charging with customers charge cables. Test drove vehicle after repairs and found to beoperating as designed at this time.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity Unit Price
FAST ACTING FUSE - 500VOLT, 150AMP 2 267.47(2004266)
Total Parts
Corrections: Battery Internals General Diagnosis

$534.94

Pulled and reviewed vehicles diagnostic data. Found fault 963 present: Line Current NotEqual Request. Followed diagnostic flow chart and found internal power electronicsmodule line fuses possible cause of issue. Removed cover of power electronics moduleand inspected fuses. Found line fuses faulty and in need of replacement.

I haven't had a chance to drive it since getting it back.

I got my roadster back yesterday... Seems like 2 fuses blew.

I'll repeat an old story and apologize if it is a repeat for some of you. When we attended the inauguration of the Roadster charger at Harris Ranch in 2010 (long before the Superchargers), we left our car charging during the night in preparation for the trip home. In the morning we discovered a fault, with a "Service Required" warning on the VDS. Fortunately, JB Straubel was speaking at the event and had driven there in a Roadster. When we called him over to show him the problem, his response was, "Why do I come to these events?" Nevertheless, he diagnosed the problem with help by phone from HQ and determined that the line input fuses had probably blown due to a drop in the line voltage causing the current draw to increase as the controller was trying to maintain the power level. So, we opened the PEM and JB swapped the fuses with the ones from his car that was already charged. His was a 2.0 and ours 1.5, so the replacement fuse value was larger, but that was OK. We took the car in after we got home for the original fuse replacements to be installed. A subsequent firmware update a month or so later was supposed to improve the timing of the control circuit so this failure would not happen with a similar voltage drop.

IMG_2534.JPG

I hadn't heard that story. Thanks for sharing!

Is there anything I can do to prevent the fuses from blowing again?

Well, unless your firmware is way out of date, then it seems that the change made in 2010 may not be sufficient for all cases. Since you were charging at 40A there should have been more headroom for current to bump up than when my car was charging at 70A at Harris Ranch. That means the failure on your car is a bit disconcerting. I wonder whether there was some glitch in the PEM causing the current draw to surge. Cosmic rays, anyone?

Do you have any idea whether there were any power anomalies at the time the failure occurred?

Well, the voltage at my house is high. That's the only anomaly I can see. It typically hovers around 250V. On the night the fuses blew, the voltage hit 256V. I have Xcel running a 2 day log at the meter to see if they might need to turn it down, but it was only measuring 248V when he was out which is in spec. 240 +5% to -10% is 252 to 216V.

Easy to check the charging fuses with an ohmmeter. Pop the small lid on the top of the PEM and they are right there.

I've only had the Roadster since July. If you had any photos you could post of exactly where I should be looking to find the fuses and what these particular fuses look like, I would appreciate it. I do have an ohmmeter, just no experience with the guts of my roadster. :)

Right compartment but not the fuses I meant. Those are for the blowers. Wouldn’t hurt to check them too but I think they throw a different error if blown. The main charging fuses are at the bottom of the compartment, below the big cables. You can see them on the diagram in the photo. Forgot they were so buried. For a good description of getting in there look at the posts about annual PEM cleaning. You are going to want to know how to do that anyhow...Happy New Year, and good luck.

Right compartment but not the fuses I meant. Those are for the blowers. Wouldn’t hurt to check them too but I think they throw a different error if blown. The main charging fuses are at the bottom of the compartment, below the big cables. You can see them on the diagram in the photo. Forgot they were so buried. For a good description of getting in there look at the posts about annual PEM cleaning. You are going to want to know how to do that anyhow...Happy New Year, and good luck.
Just want to reiterate be sure to shut down the APS (high-voltage system) before opening the access cover. It's supposed to do it automatically but don't bet on it because your life is at stake.

To add to what PV-EV said, there is a third set of fuses in that photo down and to the left of the red circled ones. You open them with a flat blade screw driver. They are for the coolant heater. My heater went bad under warranty and started periodically blowing those fuses. I can't remember for sure but it might have thrown the same error message every time one of those fuses blew.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak