Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster trunk light won't turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Timothy

Driving on Sunshine
May 4, 2011
In the last year for some reason I decided to start leaving the trunk open to help cool the PEM and battery when I put my 2011 2.5 Roadster in the garage. I plug the car in and the OVMS starts cooling and that runs for an hour and turns off. For months the trunk light went off properly after a while (not sure how long--never paid much attention) but now the trunk light stays on when I open the trunk. If I push the button to the left of the trunk, the light turns off properly as it does if I close the trunk. I don't think this is related to the OVMS or being plugged in as the same think happens if I just park the car and don't plug it in. And if I open the trunk in the morning and the car is cool and was not plugged in overnight--same deal.

Have any of you had this problem and figured out the cause and what to do about it?

I should mention I have an LED string in the trunk hooked up to the original trunk light which still works--but I don't think that has anything to do with it. (Thanks once again, Steve, a great improvement to visibility in the trunk at night!)

Timothy
in Santa Barbara

In the last year for some reason I decided to start leaving the trunk open to help cool the PEM and battery when I put my 2011 2.5 Roadster in the garage. I plug the car in and the OVMS starts cooling and that runs for an hour and turns off. For months the trunk light went off properly after a while (not sure how long--never paid much attention) but now the trunk light stays on when I open the trunk. If I push the button to the left of the trunk, the light turns off properly as it does if I close the trunk. I don't think this is related to the OVMS or being plugged in as the same think happens if I just park the car and don't plug it in. And if I open the trunk in the morning and the car is cool and was not plugged in overnight--same deal.

Have any of you had this problem and figured out the cause and what to do about it?

I should mention I have an LED string in the trunk hooked up to the original trunk light which still works--but I don't think that has anything to do with it. (Thanks once again, Steve, a great improvement to visibility in the trunk at night!)

Timothy
in Santa Barbara
I've noticed this also and I've also noticed that it goes out too... Have you tried playing with the cabin light switch? Dunno if this will help, but that's the only thing I can think of that I messed with that may have changed the behavior of the trunk light.

So, now that we have an official Service Center in Santa Barbara instead of the closest being 100 miles away, I decided to go by there for advice. The Tesla Service Center is incredible! I had that thought 5 days ago, didn't have time to go by, and now the truck light has worked perfectly ever since! Great customer service!!:tongue:

So, now that we have an official Service Center in Santa Barbara instead of the closest being 100 miles away, I decided to go by there for advice. The Tesla Service Center is incredible! I had that thought 5 days ago, didn't have time to go by, and now the truck light has worked perfectly ever since! Great customer service!!:tongue:

So what is 'perfectly'? I ask because I have forgotten

So, 'perfectly' means the trunk light goes on when one opens the trunk, and then goes off by itself after a while even though the trunk stays open. My light had decided to stay on whenever the trunk was open and not go off after a while--until it healed itself!

Well, the same thing has started up again. Light goes on when I open the trunk and won't go off in a while on its own like it did for the last few years. Any ideas?

So now we have a service center--but they no longer service Roadsters. Have to get the car towed to Pomona.