Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free CHAdeMO Adapter borrowing is now available! for N.A.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I now have a supply of CHAdeMO Adapters ready and available to loan out for free to people in North America. I have 2 adapters on hand, and I have 4 more waiting for me to pick up from the service center Friday when I drop my car off for service at Highland Park. So for now, I will have a total of 6 available to borrow. I also placed one already on permanent loan at Marshall Auto Body in Waukesha, Wi (Authorized Tesla Body Shop) who has a 50kW CHAdeMO Station, 20kW HPWC and 20kW J1772 available for free powered by their 70kW Solar Array.

Details: No cost to borrow. Just a deposit for the adapter that will be refunded upon return of the adapter. This is to cover the cost if the borrower does not return it.
I will ship anywhere in USA or Canada. Shipping is to be paid by person borrowing the adapter. I'm Located in Wisconsin, so shipping to either coast is fairly reasonable.
You can pick up the adapter from me in Milwaukee, WI, Madison, WI or Wisconsin Dells, WI. Or I can meet you (within reasonable distance).

I hope this can help some people do some good traveling! I also have 14-50 extension cords (They are HEAVY, I will not ship these) and 14-30 cords. I also have a 5-15/5-20 to 6-20 (120v 15 or 20 amp plug to 240v 20 amp plug) that is very handy for plugging into Motel/Hotel air conditioner outlets.

Please contact me at 414-807-8354 or [email protected] or PM me here!

CHEERS!

https://www.facebook.com/KmanAuto
https://www.YouTube.com/KmanAuto
Secured Home of superchargertravel.com

P.S. Any way this can get stickied? I want to help as many people that might need a adapter as I can! Lets put these to good use!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome! I would also suggest that folks who are in the same general area as each other can chip in and "share" an adapter. That's what 4 of us here did, since the likelihood that more than one of us would need it at the same time is slim. First requester for use takes it, and one in our group can use it daily if he chooses, so he is the keeper when not in use. And when needed, we usually do the handoff over dinner. Win/win!

Islandbayy, you are incredibly generous to do this loaner deal, I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will benefit!

Reactions: travis010
Nice, thanks!
Grazie! I feel the Tesla Grin and Tesla Spark returning. Must Share it!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, that's amazing and generous!
Grazie!

- - - Updated - - -

That's awesome! I would also suggest that folks who are in the same general area as each other can chip in and "share" an adapter. That's what 4 of us here did, since the likelihood that more than one of us would need it at the same time is slim. First requester for use takes it, and one in our group can use it daily if he chooses, so he is the keeper when not in use. And when needed, we usually do the handoff over dinner. Win/win!

Islandbayy, you are incredibly generous to do this loaner deal, I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will benefit!
Originally planned this when the adapters were to be $1,000 each. Bought one right away, that thing was a life saver, but, with so many referral credits, I had ordered these to share. But yes, if you can find a group fairly local to split one with, it can be mighty convenient.

- - - Updated - - -

awesome Chris!!
:)

- - - Updated - - -

Very generous of you to do this. I'm in Chicagoland and might take you up on this in the future when I have to make a trip to NJ to see family.
I welcome you! Please just let me know!

- - - Updated - - -

If you're interested in sharing your CHAdeMO adapter, please consider adding it to Tesla Model S CHAdeMO Adapter Loaners site.
Thanks, Added and done! Didn't know about that site!

Thank you Chris! That is mighty generous of you. I suspect I will end up needing to loan one out at some point to do some Midwest traveling.

Btw, when you say you have 14-30 cords, do you mean extension cords? If so, I'll pm you some questions. Thanks!

Thank you Chris! That is mighty generous of you. I suspect I will end up needing to loan one out at some point to do some Midwest traveling.

Btw, when you say you have 14-30 cords, do you mean extension cords? If so, I'll pm you some questions. Thanks!
Thank you! yes, 14-30 extension cord. and a 14-50. the 14-30 uses the 14-50 umc plug due to the 14-30 one being discontinued, so manual pre adjustment of the amperage to 24 amps will be required. and a 14-50 extension is available as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Chris! That's awesome. I always thought someone might do well to rent ChAdeMO adapters.
not rending, I make no profit from this. It would be cool if I did, but I don't.
Its like borrowing book from the library, only with a refundable deposit up front. I trust everyone, but at the same time I don't...... hope that makes sense ;-) in the sense of; Homer Sinpson borrowing Ned Flanders weed Walker... he did return it.... some 4 years later...

Not renting, I make no profit from this. It would be cool if I did, but I don't. Its like borrowing book from the library, only with a refundable deposit up front.
I trust everyone, but at the same time I don't...... hope that makes sense ;-) in the sense of; Homer Sinpson borrowing Ned Flanders weed Wacker... he did return it.... some 4 years later...

Chris, thank you for offering this service to the Tesla community.
I have cross posted your thread to the Tesla Motors Forum ... http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/chademo-adapter-useful-worth-it#comment-772993

LOVE the idea. I am hoping there might be somebody in the Tampa Bay area or somewhere along the path we will be taking heading west that would be willing to lend their Chademo adapter (security deposit totally understandable).

In the [likely?] even that I get no local offers, do you roughly know how much to S&H is? I understand these adapters are rather large/bulky/heavy... I would need to get it by Thursday... it could possibly dramatically change the route we take (Supercharger path from Tampa Florida to Grand Canyon is not the most direct route).

angel

I just came back from a trip from Chicagoland to Roanoke, VA then to the NY area, then back to Chicago. Chris was nice enough to lend me one of his CHAdeMO adapters and it proved invaluable. I used it at the station in downtown Roanoke, VA (my cousin's 110V outlet wasn't going to get me enough juice to get back to Strasburg SC before I had to leave) and I needed it again at a Blink location on the PA turnpike (to bridge the gap from NJ to the Somerset, PA SC). I got nervous in PA when one of the blink cables wasn't working. Fortunately the 2nd one functioned and I was able to get it working after speaking to a Blink rep on the phone.

chademo charging.jpg
chademo charging2.jpg

Reactions: hybridbear
LOVE the idea. I am hoping there might be somebody in the Tampa Bay area or somewhere along the path we will be taking heading west that would be willing to lend their Chademo adapter (security deposit totally understandable).

In the [likely?] even that I get no local offers, do you roughly know how much to S&H is? I understand these adapters are rather large/bulky/heavy... I would need to get it by Thursday... it could possibly dramatically change the route we take (Supercharger path from Tampa Florida to Grand Canyon is not the most direct route).

angel
Shipping so far has been between $10 and $15 each way using FedEX Ground. Some cases, can knock a bit more off going with FedEX SmartPost, but that can take up to 10 days to arrive.

- - - Updated - - -

I just came back from a trip from Chicagoland to Roanoke, VA then to the NY area, then back to Chicago. Chris was nice enough to lend me one of his CHAdeMO adapters and it proved invaluable. I used it at the station in downtown Roanoke, VA (my cousin's 110V outlet wasn't going to get me enough juice to get back to Strasburg SC before I had to leave) and I needed it again at a Blink location on the PA turnpike (to bridge the gap from NJ to the Somerset, PA SC). I got nervous in PA when one of the blink cables wasn't working. Fortunately the 2nd one functioned and I was able to get it working after speaking to a Blink rep on the phone.

View attachment 102309View attachment 102310
Looks Awesome! Cant believe the Blink worked at all though..... I've never come across a functioning Blink station of any kind....

Cool idea. Honestly, I think it may be a short lived need overall, though, with the superchargers coming online basically everywhere.

I have a CHAdeMO adapter, but it's usefulness for me is coming to an end with the superchargers popping up on I-81 in VA finally, along with Asheville, NC nearly complete. Pretty much everywhere else I need to go has superchargers handy already. The reliability track record with CHAdeMO stations doesn't make me want to venture too far beyond the supercharger network. I did I-81 through VA starting at Hagertown, MD and used three CHAdeMO stations along the way to make it back down to my place in NC. One of them almost didn't work and would have had me stuck hunting down one of the backup J1772 I had on my list, or worse. Finally got it going after two phone calls and some fiddling... but it was not a stress-free experience like using the superchargers.

One other route I'd like to use that is superchargerless is I-77 through VA/WV. Have to detour to the east or west currently. However, there aren't any CHAdeMOs on that route either.

I'm kind of curious as to where people are actually able to utilize CHAdeMOs for trips where superchargers are unavailable. Basically, with the exception of I-81 in VA (which will be supercharger enabled in a couple of months it looks like), I haven't found a real use for the adapter myself. Everywhere I go either has superchargers, or no chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
Cool idea. Honestly, I think it may be a short lived need overall, though, with the superchargers coming online basically everywhere.

I have a CHAdeMO adapter, but it's usefulness for me is coming to an end with the superchargers popping up on I-81 in VA finally, along with Asheville, NC nearly complete. Pretty much everywhere else I need to go has superchargers handy already. The reliability track record with CHAdeMO stations doesn't make me want to venture too far beyond the supercharger network. I did I-81 through VA starting at Hagertown, MD and used three CHAdeMO stations along the way to make it back down to my place in NC. One of them almost didn't work and would have had me stuck hunting down one of the backup J1772 I had on my list, or worse. Finally got it going after two phone calls and some fiddling... but it was not a stress-free experience like using the superchargers.

One other route I'd like to use that is superchargerless is I-77 through VA/WV. Have to detour to the east or west currently. However, there aren't any CHAdeMOs on that route either.

I'm kind of curious as to where people are actually able to utilize CHAdeMOs for trips where superchargers are unavailable. Basically, with the exception of I-81 in VA (which will be supercharger enabled in a couple of months it looks like), I haven't found a real use for the adapter myself. Everywhere I go either has superchargers, or no chargers.

I thought the same thing at first, however, the more superchargers that come on line, the more I find myself going places I did not expect I'd travel to, and needing it just that much more.
I agree though, the reliability of the CHAdeMO stations isn't the best, I've learned first hand. I always check plug share ratings, as well as make sure a backup charging option is available.

The use of CHAdeMO on my South Carolina trip (Video is still in the editing process), was improved 100% by having CHAdeMO available to me. I was able to knock more then 8 hours off the drive by use of a CHAdeMO station allowing me to take a more direct path home then going the "Long" way with the superchargers. thats no chump change. If it was J1772, I'd have been better off taking the "long route", as it would have been quicker then charging at 30 amps.

Either way, when you need it, it's great.
In fact, I'm so back logged loaning the adapters out now, I will need to take back the one I placed on loan at Marshall Auto Body. The owner has one he said he can lend out to passers-by, so it sholdn't be too big of a deal.
I would order more, but, I need to use the Referral credits I have left to try and update my car. It's just become too un-reliable, and I will need to replace it before warranty is up :(

- - - Updated - - -

I still need to get it back to you Chris. E-mail me when you are free and I'll get it back up to you.

email sent. Going to Gurnee Mills mall tomorrow, that should bring us both much closer together, and easier to meet.

Try driving through Pennsylvania. ugh

Hopefully Allentown & Harrisburg come online soon, but in the meantime, chademo gets me there.

Hello Islandbayy!

WOW, an incredible initiative! I donated 3 CHAdeMO adaptors to the Club Tesla Quebec (www.clubteslaquebec.ca). One is located in Montreal, one in Trois-Rivieres and one in Quebec City. Like you, it's free for the Club's member and we request a deposit to make sure we get it back.

More details about the offer here (in french):
3 ADAPTATEURS CHADEMO POUR LE CLUB TESLA QUEBEC

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca