Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was hope it would be at the Meijer's Grocery store being built off of I70 but doesn't seem to have happened. Is this confirmed or just the dot on the map which isn't always accurate?

There was hope it would be at the Meijer's Grocery store being built off of I70 but doesn't seem to have happened. Is this confirmed or just the dot on the map which isn't always accurate?

Very interesting, I spoke with a VP level person at Meijer and they mentioned their happiness with the existing relationship so far and that there was interest on both sides to continue expanding the relationship.

Not sure how much Terre Haute makes sense right now. It's only 68 miles from the Effingham supercharger and ~80 miles from the Indy supercharger, without an Interstate intersection.

The only reason to put one there is for the benefit of US 41, but Tesla has a much bigger build-out to complete on the Interstates first, IMO.

Not sure how much Terre Haute makes sense right now. It's only 68 miles from the Effingham supercharger and ~80 miles from the Indy supercharger, without an Interstate intersection.

The only reason to put one there is for the benefit of US 41, but Tesla has a much bigger build-out to complete on the Interstates first, IMO.

Not a super-duper priority, but Effingham to Indianapolis is 146 miles, which is the biggest gap on I-70. (followed by Goodland-Hays and Grove City-Triadelphia).

The problem with that size gap isn't making it, it's that anyone traveling long-distance through those 2 Superchargers is going to have to stop at them, and that's bad for contention, which is bad for travel time. St Charles to Indianapolis is 260 miles, and Effingham to Dayton is 248 miles. If you can split the two with Terre Haute, then you'd have St Charles to Terre Haute about 180 miles and Terre Haute to Dayton 180 miles, which would allow skipping in reasonable weather.

Although in this case it'd be a "doubling" that would help reduce contention, I think that in the long run Tesla will get better Supercharging patterns if the spacing allows some skipping.

The other problem with larger gaps is that it's harder to make a return trip if you're traveling to a destination between Superchargers, but closer to the other Supercharger. E.g. if traveling east on I-70, your destination is 20 miles west of Indianapolis, then you'd have a 2 x 126 = 252 mile round trip to make and would need a decent amount of destination charging. When the gap between the Superchargers is reduced, round-trips become easier.

Last edited:
Not a super-duper priority, but Effingham to Indianapolis is 146 miles, which is the biggest gap on I-70. (followed by Goodland-Hays and Grove City-Triadelphia).

The problem with that size gap isn't making it, it's that anyone traveling long-distance through those 2 Superchargers is going to have to stop at them, and that's bad for contention, which is bad for travel time. St Charles to Indianapolis is 260 miles, and Effingham to Dayton is 248 miles. If you can split the two with Terre Haute, then you'd have St Charles to Terre Haute about 180 miles and Terre Haute to Dayton 180 miles, which would allow skipping in reasonable weather.

Although in this case it'd be a "doubling" that would help reduce contention, I think that in the long run Tesla will get better Supercharging patterns if the spacing allows some skipping.

The other problem with larger gaps is that it's harder to make a return trip if you're traveling to a destination between Superchargers, but closer to the other Supercharger. E.g. if traveling east on I-70, your destination is 20 miles west of Indianapolis, then you'd have a 2 x 126 = 252 mile round trip to make and would need a decent amount of destination charging. When the gap between the Superchargers is reduced, round-trips become easier.

For those of us with 60's, a 146 mile gap is not going to leave us much margin, and will mandate us charging to a high state of charge before leaving the supercharger (resulting in a much longer charge time, and more time using up a supercharger that someone else might be waiting for.) I think 100-125 mile spacing is perfect. 60's can make the 125 mile gaps without any issue and without a 100% charge, and the 85D's and 90's can skip a charger altogether if they choose to.

For those of us with 60's, a 146 mile gap is not going to leave us much margin, and will mandate us charging to a high state of charge before leaving the supercharger (resulting in a much longer charge time, and more time using up a supercharger that someone else might be waiting for.) I think 100-125 mile spacing is perfect. 60's can make the 125 mile gaps without any issue and without a 100% charge, and the 85D's and 90's can skip a charger altogether if they choose to.

Assuming Tesla improves Adventure Planner and can make it the goto method of travel, the relatively significant buffer that it leaves suggests that 125 miles is too large a gap to facilitate skipping.

Yes, people forget that this is the largest gap right now on 70 (148 miles actually, for some reason the trip planner is drunk again). It makes your stop mandatory for Effingham and Indy. Not only would the S60 owners benefit, it would leave a lot more flexibility for the rest of us. Besides, Terre Haute has Chic-Fil-A.

Yes, people forget that this is the largest gap right now on 70 (148 miles actually, for some reason the trip planner is drunk again). It makes your stop mandatory for Effingham and Indy. Not only would the S60 owners benefit, it would leave a lot more flexibility for the rest of us. Besides, Terre Haute has Chic-Fil-A.

In addition, Terre Haute is on the Tesla 2015 Map, and we know how reliable that info is... :wink:

Maybe Tesla is starting to fill in between SCs in the colder, more populated areas in anticipation for degraded 60's or the 3.
If they really decide to go with Terre Haute, I'd guess somewhere near I70 & US41, either side.
To the south, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn (both have SC's in other areas of the country) and the mall.
To the north, Fairfield Inn and Starbucks. Lots of restaurants either side.

I am registered an account to post this for you guys. I do not own a Tesla myself but am a huge fan (so if anyone wants to thank me with a ride/drive that would be awesome)

Anyways, to the point.......... They started installing a super charger station at the Meijers off I70 at 46 (exit 11 off I70)

I do not know how long the install will take, the two guys working today were fairly clueless, but it seems to be going in quick. I drive past daily and instantly recognized it today since they have the frames up for the individual stations.

I will update this thread as they progress and finish.

DJI_0026.jpg
DJI_0030.jpg

^^^ Excellent find! We have boots on the ground! Here's the address according to google:
5600 E, New Margaret Drive, Terre Haute, IN 47803

I am registered an account to post this for you guys. I do not own a Tesla myself but am a huge fan (so if anyone wants to thank me with a ride/drive that would be awesome)

Anyways, to the point.......... They started installing a super charger station at the Meijers off I70 at 46 (exit 11 off I70)

I do not know how long the install will take, the two guys working today were fairly clueless, but it seems to be going in quick. I drive past daily and instantly recognized it today since they have the frames up for the individual stations.

I will update this thread as they progress and finish.

Very nice pictures! Thanks!

They still have work on the Equipment Enclosure, but it looks like the transformer and meter are already installed behind the mini-excavator...here is a section of the first photo enlarged:
Terre Haute.jpg

This could be finished in a couple of weeks. :biggrin:

Glad I could be helpful. Like I said when I saw it I knew instantly what it was, yet I had not heard anything about it on the local news or media. After a quick google search this thread was the first result, and strangely about the only real reference to it at all. As small as this town is I would have assumed there would have been some news about it.

The pics came from my drone (went home and grabbed it to take pics/video once I spotted them working. 4k video camera takes pretty good stills despite it being listed as only 12mp. I took a bunch more photos and a little video. I choose these two as they gave the best perspective of the station and its relation to the parking lot as a whole. The wider shot is looking towards I-70 and you can see the overpass in the background.

I'll try and stop and take some more pics as construction continues and post an update if I meet anyone that has better info on when it might be done.

If anyone wants specific pics let me know, I'll take any excuse to go fly......though it was kind of cold today.

Very nice pictures! Thanks!

They still have work on the Equipment Enclosure, but it looks like the transformer and meter are already installed behind the mini-excavator...here is a section of the first photo enlarged:

<pic>

This could be finished in a couple of weeks. :biggrin:

The large slab gets both the Supercharger cabinets and the distribution center.
So what's the 2nd empty slab for?