Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeatable "Cruise Not Available" TACC Malfunction San Mateo Bridge (CA-92 Eastbound)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Owners,

Have any of you in the Bay also experienced the TACC error where it suddenly shuts off and says "Cruise not available" on your IC? For me, this happened pre-AP and post AP. The funny thing it ... it only happens in one particular spot in the Bay Area, even after 23,000 miles. I've driven the West Coast, to the mountains, on ferries, you name it. But this only happens in the same spot, about once a month.

The spot is the eastbound flat span of the San Mateo Bridge (CA-92 E) as you approach Hayward. It only happens here, in this direction, and on the flat part of the bridge that is almost at water level. I'm wondering if something here is specifically messing with the radar.

Shortly after I get off the bridge and before the 880 interchange, TACC comes back. I've brought this into the service center and they pulled logs. I was told the radar unit needed recalibration, which they did. Still, I just got another one of these malfunctions this week after the recalibration. Anyone else seen this?

- K

Last edited:
It is most likely a local communication transmitter (Microwave, Radar, etc.) in the area and there are also a lot of RF transmission antennas along the water front in Hayward near the San Mateo bridge that could be overloading the radar receiver in your MS.
If this isn't happening to other Tesla's then the radar receiver in you MS is bad/needs tuning.
If it is happening to a number of other MSs then it is a MS radar design issue, problem with the local transmitter tuning and/or one for the FCC.

It doesn't sound like anyone else on here is having the same issue, so I'll keep recording the time stamps and have Tesla fix it the next time the car goes in.

- K

Crossed the bridge last night with TACC and Autosteer ON on our way to Oracle Arena (Go Warriors!!).

Encountered no such issues, K...

(A gratuitous pic of my son with the Warriors' Superman GM, Bob Myers):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446928828.259070.jpg

It is most likely a local communication transmitter (Microwave, Radar, etc.) in the area and there are also a lot of RF transmission antennas along the water front in Hayward near the San Mateo bridge that could be overloading the radar receiver in your MS.
If this isn't happening to other Tesla's then the radar receiver in you MS is bad/needs tuning.
If it is happening to a number of other MSs then it is a MS radar design issue, problem with the local transmitter tuning and/or one for the FCC.

San Mateo bridge is directly under the SFO landing path... it could be interference from aircraft radars.

This happened to me 2x at exactly the same place on the San Mateo Bridge

Dear Owners,

Have any of you in the Bay also experienced the TACC error where it suddenly shuts off and says "Cruise not available" on your IC? For me, this happened pre-AP and post AP. The funny thing it ... it only happens in one particular spot in the Bay Area, even after 23,000 miles. I've driven the West Coast, to the mountains, on ferries, you name it. But this only happens in the same spot, about once a month.

The spot is the eastbound flat span of the San Mateo Bridge (CA-92 E) as you approach Hayward. It only happens here, in this direction, and on the flat part of the bridge that is almost at water level. I'm wondering if something here is specifically messing with the radar.

Shortly after I get off the bridge and before the 880 interchange, TACC comes back. I've brought this into the service center and they pulled logs. I was told the radar unit needed recalibration, which they did. Still, I just got another one of these malfunctions this week after the recalibration. Anyone else seen this?

- K

Going East, about 2/3rds of the way across the bridge. AP just quits and then speed and steering icons are GONE for the remainder of the bridge and even until I get to 880!