Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Mode upgrade now is 5k total!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the moment, there's little difference between the P90D and P85D in terms of the 1/4 mile run. P85D can do it in 11.6 secs. P90D can do it in 11.4 secs according to many reports here. Tesla Motors and Motor Trend says the P90D can get it to 10.9 secs. But I don't think that firmware is available to the general masses yet??

Is it worth it to upgrade? I dunno...

Much better than 7.5k. Now we just have to figure the ludicrous mode will be massaged with a download at some point. Hopefully the p85d will be just a tick above the 10.9 figure in the 1/4 mile. I will still probably do it.

Hopefully we will know if they are going to massage it before the deadline for committing to it rolls around, if we have a 6 month window from the time it was announced to order it.

But the $5K price is certainly more reasonable than the $7.5k price and I suspect was done because not many were in at the $7.5K price.

I already have mine reserved .... I felt if they stick to the 6 month window to upgrade the P85D to have the LUDICROUS mode it would be good for resale down the road. Plus even discounting the so called informed "analysis" going on about the "performance" in general .... I want the extra umph ..... these 0-60 times have a lot of factors at play ... but one thing is for sure ... it blows away everyone who gets exposed to it ..... in a big way ..... and I get to do it and not break any speed limits ... :) I just hope my closest service center is authorized to do the upgrade .... but if not .... road trip .... :)

I put down my deposit on 9/26 a day after it became available and before they changed the text of the offer on the website to hedge the performance specs, saying it would only deliver 0.2s faster acceleration. After thinking it through I decided not to try for a refund but instead to wait to see what performance was actually being delivered to those who upgrade. The whole issue has been complicated by the underperformance of the P90D vs. the company's promises, and then further complicated by the recent Motor Trend article where Tesla provided a P90D that had all the promised performance and more. All of this has been discussed at length in other threads, for example:

Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video

Cutting to the chase, what I am personally expecting / hoping the P85D upgrade to ultimately deliver is 0.2-0.3s slower than the full-performance P90D: 2.8s to 60, 11.2 quarter, and 4.5s 60-100. This is my judgment, all-in, and is faster than what they now say on the website. I do not have hard information, and the outcome can certainly be worse than my expectation.

I put down my deposit day one based on the assumptions/claims at that time.

The problem I see now is that I still don't know if this is going to give me what I want. I need to see comparisons b/w a stock P85D and an upgraded car on things like 30-50/50-70/70-90/30-70 etc. Whatever brackets people post will be fine, but I want to see how this upgrade impacts passing power.

It bums me out a bit that I had to plunk down $500 to reserve something that isn't fully documented but whatever. At this point I'll wait and see what early Freemont upgrades generate. If I lose $500 so be it.

A side note - what's happening here isn't really all that different to the experience I had with chipping my 535i. I was an early adopter of that upgrade and only had dyno results from Dinan to go on. I had to take the rest on faith based on what I figured those numbers would generate in terms of real world experience.

Finally - one thing I have to give Tesla is that when the dust settles I think most of us are happy with the results of whatever they do. The process they put us through is fairly chaotic, but the results are good. AP is a perfect example - it was worth the wait, performs as good or better than promised and certainly pushes the envelope on changing the game. Ludicrous will probably be great too - again however we have to endure this uncertainty while we wait for Tesla to get the ducks in a row.

$5000 for .2 If anyone has money to blow like that can you send me some cash, thanks.
My $5000 retrofit was paid for by the referrals I made.

- - - Updated - - -

Still haven't received any word on when I'll be booked in to actually have the retrofit done (doing it out of Eden Prairie location in Minnesota).

From the email I read that someone else got about the price reduction, the retrofit will roll out in Early 2016 in Fremont, and then other SC based on priority after that.

I continue to be disappointed by Tesla communication. I'm "on the list" for the ludicrous upgrade at two service centers yet they never told me about the availability to put down a $500 deposit. To this day I haven't heard from either of them. Then even after I put down the deposit I've heard nothing, not even about the (much appreciated) price decrease. If it wasn't for these forums I'd be completely in the dark.

I continue to be disappointed by Tesla communication. I'm "on the list" for the ludicrous upgrade at two service centers yet they never told me about the availability to put down a $500 deposit. To this day I haven't heard from either of them. Then even after I put down the deposit I've heard nothing, not even about the (much appreciated) price decrease. If it wasn't for these forums I'd be completely in the dark.

That's probably the fault of your SC. I got a text from my SC about the ludicrous upgrade. Although I did tell them to call/text me when it was available. As for the price decrease, I think you were supposed to get an email about that. I didn't get the email neither, though. But I also put the deposit down before the price reduction. I wonder if the price reduction applies to people who put the deposit down prior to the price reduction as well.

$5000 for .2 If anyone has money to blow like that can you send me some cash, thanks.

For those who are in the performance car world, people pay orders of magnitude more than just $5000 for a performance increase like this. They also have to install new hardware and "turbo charge" stuff. This was a cheap upgrade even at $7500, making everyone who purchased a P85D for the performance characteristic prior to Ludicrous Mode "insane" not to upgrade to this!

What are you going to do for me? If you can get me an extra .2 seconds, I'll happily give you another 5k.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla is pretty bad at this. Whenever I talk to the service center, I ask about the upgrade. They never know anything new and more than half the time they know less than I do. Just a couple of days ago, they knew nothing about the timelines (now known to be 2016 sometime) nor about the price change.

That's probably the fault of your SC. I got a text from my SC about the ludicrous upgrade. Although I did tell them to call/text me when it was available. As for the price decrease, I think you were supposed to get an email about that. I didn't get the email neither, though. But I also put the deposit down before the price reduction. I wonder if the price reduction applies to people who put the deposit down prior to the price reduction as well.

I always thought it was my service center but now there are two of them that have never updated me...

and i I assume the lower price applies to the early depositors otherwise it would be punishing those who signed up first.