Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google calendar integration with Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I hop into my car to catch a movie today, and as I'm about to merge into traffic I'm stunned to see a notification on my display offering to navigate me to the theater. Presumably, this is via Google Now (I bought tickets online and Gmail/Google kept track of the purchase and its details). Since when has this been possible? I was both thrilled, impressed, and creeped out. I don't recall seeing anything about this feature, nor have I been able to see any mention of this integration online. Just when I thought I knew my MS...

I don't think it needs to be an iPhone, just Google integration with the Tesla phone app running in the background on your phone. The app knows about your Google events, and Google must be set on your account to integrate notifications for tasks done through Google, such as buying plane or movie tickets. Same way you get emails or texts or Now cards if you have delivery info in a GMail email account for a FedEx or UPS delivery.

So here's a question:

I have the Google app on my iPhone and a Pebble smartwatch. Often I will get notifications from Google about how far it is to somewhere and what the traffic conditions are like. It's usually to places like home or work, but sometimes other places I frequent as well.

But here's the weird thing: There seems to be some sort of association with the car. I noticed for some time I'd feel my watch buzz and get a notification as I got in to the car, but just assumed it was coincidence because I would be leaving for work or home at around the same time every day. But a couple of weeks ago, I was out of town for 3 days staying at a friend's lake house. I noticed that every single time I went out to the car to get something, my watch would buzz with stats on my trip from there to home. Every single time. All I had to do was open the car's door and I'd get the notification withing a minute or two. I've been paying attention ever since and sure enough, almost every time I get in to the car, I will get one of these notifications about the trip time to wherever it is Google assumes I'm going.

What's the deal with this? I can't figure out what would have to be connected (between the Google app and my car) to allow this to happen. Spooky!

So here's a question:

I have the Google app on my iPhone and a Pebble smartwatch. Often I will get notifications from Google about how far it is to somewhere and what the traffic conditions are like. It's usually to places like home or work, but sometimes other places I frequent as well.

But here's the weird thing: There seems to be some sort of association with the car. I noticed for some time I'd feel my watch buzz and get a notification as I got in to the car, but just assumed it was coincidence because I would be leaving for work or home at around the same time every day. But a couple of weeks ago, I was out of town for 3 days staying at a friend's lake house. I noticed that every single time I went out to the car to get something, my watch would buzz with stats on my trip from there to home. Every single time. All I had to do was open the car's door and I'd get the notification withing a minute or two. I've been paying attention ever since and sure enough, almost every time I get in to the car, I will get one of these notifications about the trip time to wherever it is Google assumes I'm going.

What's the deal with this? I can't figure out what would have to be connected (between the Google app and my car) to allow this to happen. Spooky!

This is Halloween special :scared:...enjoy mknox !

On a serious note...I am not sure what is causing this ...I will let tech guys/gals from our beloved forum to answer this

So here's a question:

<SNIP>

Maybe it's just the Bluetooth connection that "wakes" up the phone enough to check if there is anything worth notifying you of.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just the Bluetooth connection that "wakes" up the phone enough to check if there is anything worth notifying you of.

Hmmm... could be. Maybe Google somehow senses my phone connecting to the car (which it does) and that triggers it. It is kinda cool, but it was puzzling to me how it worked because I didn't do anything overtly to set it up.

Hmmm... could be. Maybe Google somehow senses my phone connecting to the car (which it does) and that triggers it. It is kinda cool, but it was puzzling to me how it worked because I didn't do anything overtly to set it up.
You did enable it with two actions. First is that when you sync'd your phone to the car you should have been prompted for if the car can have access to media, and everybody just says sure. Second, Google preferences are set with your info and you can see it if you Google the term "Google location history" and click that first link, you can turn location information on or off and modify settings.

When your car meets your phone, the car should ask the watch if it has any new information, and the watch must get a notification in return. Location queries by the car tell your watch to give location and travel related information.

Or I'm completely wrong and grasping at straws. I do that...

Your watch may just be repeating the alert on the iPhone that comes up when you get in the car now. It's an iOS 9 thing (Proactive) that gives you drive time home when it connects to the cars Bluetooth. If you have an appointment with an address in your calendar, it will give you drive time to that location instead.

iOS 9 seems to do this with calendar items now. I get alerts based on the location of next appointment- say one hour prior the phone will alert at 1415 with say "leave at 1450 to reach xxxx at 1515 as traffic conditions are busy". I found that slightly unnerving in the last week or so.

Regards, Tony

Manchester, England

Your watch may just be repeating the alert on the iPhone that comes up when you get in the car now. It's an iOS 9 thing (Proactive) that gives you drive time home when it connects to the cars Bluetooth. If you have an appointment with an address in your calendar, it will give you drive time to that location instead.

Maybe that's it. Maybe it's an iOS thing and not a Google thing. Hadn't thought of that. And yes, the Pebble just parrots notifications that pop up on the phone's screen, but it did make it obvious to me that something was going on, because I might not have even noticed it if the phone was just doing it's thing in my pocket.