Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking Seems to Have Changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I typically have left my key hidden in the car and locked with either Remote S or the Tesla App. This worked in the past. Now the car appears to lock (folds in mirrors) but is in fact not locked.

Am I crazy?

for the past few months when I've left my key tucked in the way back of my trunk the car will still unlock with the push of the trunk latch button. the handles were locked, but I will check when my car comes back from service.

Or get an RFID-blocking bag. The behavior you're describing has been the way it's supposed to work for quite awhile now. Model S has never been able to tell if a key was inside or outside of the car so if you push on a handle or trunk release the car "pings" for the key and if the key responds then the car opens. It's possible that in the past you've found an RF blind spot where you've left the key and by not seeing the key went ahead and locked. But to answer your question, nothing has "changed." You've probably just been exploiting a corner case. As I said, get an RFID blocking pouch. RA Mayes | EMI / RFI RF Shielded Pouches for Most Wireless Devices

Or get an RFID-blocking bag. The behavior you're describing has been the way it's supposed to work for quite awhile now. Model S has never been able to tell if a key was inside or outside of the car so if you push on a handle or trunk release the car "pings" for the key and if the key responds then the car opens. It's possible that in the past you've found an RF blind spot where you've left the key and by not seeing the key went ahead and locked. But to answer your question, nothing has "changed." You've probably just been exploiting a corner case. As I said, get an RFID blocking pouch. RA Mayes | EMI / RFI RF Shielded Pouches for Most Wireless Devices

Thank you

I had a weird thing happen this last weekend. I do not leave my key in the car normally. But I was playing around with it one night and just left the key in the cup holder. The next morning I went out and took the key out and put it in the house. The car did not lock. The handles recessed, but the mirrors didn't fold. I went back out without the key a while later and noticed that the mirrors were out. I pressed the handles and the car opened. First time for that. I have left the key in before, taken it out and put it in the house and the car locked as usual. I wonder if it is due to V7. Don't like the lack of security. I have now lost some trust about whether the car is actually locked or not.

I had a weird thing happen this last weekend. I do not leave my key in the car normally. But I was playing around with it one night and just left the key in the cup holder. The next morning I went out and took the key out and put it in the house. The car did not lock. The handles recessed, but the mirrors didn't fold. I went back out without the key a while later and noticed that the mirrors were out. I pressed the handles and the car opened. First time for that. I have left the key in before, taken it out and put it in the house and the car locked as usual. I wonder if it is due to V7. Don't like the lack of security. I have now lost some trust about whether the car is actually locked or not.
The car already enters a special mode when you've left the key in a car that is off for more than 5 minutes after the doors have closed. It disables the auto-present handles and walk-away locking. If you hit the lock/unlock button it resets the state and the car will work as expected again. It's been that way for as long as I've had the car, though.

I keep VisibleTesla running with the "Doors Unlocked for X minutes" notification set so I get a text if I or someone else leaves the keys in the car.

I typically have left my key hidden in the car and locked with either Remote S or the Tesla App. This worked in the past. Now the car appears to lock (folds in mirrors) but is in fact not locked.

Am I crazy?

For keeping a functional and active key fob in your car, yes you are crazy. Did you know that anyone can buy a key fob signal copier/booster and use that to enter your vehicle? And with your key fob inside the car, once a thief gains entry they have the keys to your kingdom. Why would you do that to yourself?

One new thing I have noticed that when I am sitting in my car in park with the key in my pocket, the car keeps cycling between locked and unlocked every few minutes. Very very annoying.

I've noticed that since I've had the car (6.0). I thought one of the later 6.2 builds calmed it though - iirc it was the one where pressing the stalk to enter park toggled handle presentation state...?