Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Tesla Model S Facelift in 2016 !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have pretty solid reasons to belive they will be showing an MS facelift when they will unveil the Model 3 next year during March
Reasons I belive this will happen :

-Because the Model 3 will have to be great ( Elon Musk already stated multiple times that their products will always stand out of the crowd (ex. MS, MX), therefore Model 3 will come with (r)evolutionary tehnology as well, even tho it will be cheaper to manufacture than the MS.
-Because the M3 will be great, they will also have to come with a facelift for MS to keep people to desire an MS (those who will be able to afford one) and not just have to wait for the M3.

So, my theory is that, when the M3 will be unveiled they will also unveil the MS facelift.

What do you guys think ?

I have pretty solid reasons to belive they will be showing an MS facelift when they will unveil the Model 3 next year during March
Reasons I belive this will happen :

-Because the Model 3 will have to be great ( Elon Musk already stated multiple times that their products will always stand out of the crowd (ex. MS, MX), therefore Model 3 will come with (r)evolutionary tehnology as well, even tho it will be cheaper to manufacture than the MS.
-Because the M3 will be great, they will also have to come with a facelift for MS to keep people to desire an MS (those who will be able to afford one) and not just have to wait for the M3.

So, my theory is that, when the M3 will be unveiled they will also unveil the MS facelift.

What do you guys think ?

I think your thread title is sensationalist and it is unlikely they will change the S design significantly this year. Maybe a new bumper or nose cone.

I don't think your reasoning about S needing to look new to be desirable once the three is out is sound. The 3 will have to make compromises to hit the price point (performance, technology, etc) so I don't expect the S to be in need of any boosts.

I think your thread title is sensationalist and it is unlikely they will change the S design significantly this year. Maybe a new bumper or nose cone.

I don't think your reasoning about S needing to look new to be desirable once the three is out is sound. The 3 will have to make compromises to hit the price point (performance, technology, etc) so I don't expect the S to be in need of any boosts.

I'm pretty sure the Model 3 will have the same or superior technology to the current generation Model S. I think that's a given. Other cars in the Model 3's price range also have lane keeping, TACC, and all of the other existing technology that is just now coming to Model S. If Tesla hopes to sell as many Model 3s as it says, then it will have to be competitive with the technology of other offerings in the same price range. Technology gets less expensive over time and Model 3 will inherit much of what Tesla has learned over the last 3 years.

And I think OP said 2016, not this year.

I'm pretty sure the Model 3 will have the same or superior technology to the current generation Model S. I think that's a given. Other cars in the Model 3's price range also have lane keeping, TACC, and all of the other existing technology that is just now coming to Model S. If Tesla hopes to sell as many Model 3s as it says, then it will have to be competitive with the technology of other offerings in the same price range. Technology gets less expensive over time and Model 3 will inherit much of what Tesla has learned over the last 3 years.

And I think OP said 2016, not this year.

Sorry meant next year! Do you have a link to the person that said their service advisor said a refresh was coming?

I hope that happens, because when the M3 is unveiled, that's when I'll decide to wait another two years or go with MS later next year. I love the MS, but it's getting long in the tooth. It will need some minor enhancements and slight facelift to bring it up to 2016 standards. I really don't like the thought of paying so much for outdated tech (screen, processor) or looks, even though I absolutely love the car.

I doubt MS will change very much in the near future; if so only minor changes similar to a LCI for BMW... I mean the 3 series just went through LCI and you basically need to play find Waldo to see the differences... Also like the 5 series went through LCI last year but much of the changes were in the software, idrive. But Tesla updates its software constantly... so what to many cars is a mid gen refresh is just a regular update for Tesla.

I think people should not have very high expectations for the Model 3. A car is a complex items involving many parts that you just CANNOT get for cheaper compared to other manufacturers... Just go and sit in a Volt and see what you get for that money in a EV... GM is not stupid, Nissan is not stupid; they hire highly intelligent people to try to make the best given their constraints...

Look at BMW, and see what you get for 35k... a 320i with a super weak engine with almost no options, no leather, no backup camera, no nav, no anything... I fully expect the base Model 3 to be that. Sure you can equip your 3 series really well with better engine, full leather, variable M suspension, etc, but you know what, that car costs 60+k in non-M form and 80K+ as a BMW M3.

So ya, you can get a Model 3 with 400hp, dual engine, 250 mile range, nav, camera, nappa leather, etc, but that ll cost more than a 70D, just like how a BMW M3 can cost a lot more than a 535 or even 550.

I expect the base Model 3 to have 150-175 hp single engine, 200 mile range, and pretty much nothing inside. You get the Tesla shape and badge, but no big screen, basically no tech, no camera, no sunroof, no SC, nothing, and all are extra, which is similar to what BMW does...

So Model 3's will range between say 35 and 85k depending on what equipment you add (including different battery and engine choices), just like you can do with the BMW 3 series / M3.

Last edited:
I hope that happens, because when the M3 is unveiled, that's when I'll decide to wait another two years or go with MS later next year. I love the MS, but it's getting long in the tooth. It will need some minor enhancements and slight facelift to bring it up to 2016 standards. I really don't like the thought of paying so much for outdated tech (screen, processor) or looks, even though I absolutely love the car.

They do updates on the Model S ALL THE TIME. So even if you order today, you don't know if you're getting last gens processor or the next gen one.

I'm OK with a facelift, in 2016 the car would be 4 years old, that's an OK time for a facelift, but I think the car looks really good as is. And if Tesla is following in the S500 footsteps, then a facelift will likely only happen in 3-4 years, as they facelift those every 7-8 years Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt MS will change very much in the near future; if so only minor changes similar to a LCI for BMW... I mean the 3 series just went through LCI and you basically need to play find Waldo to see the differences... Also like the 5 series went through LCI last year but much of the changes were in the software, idrive. But Tesla updates its software constantly... so what to many cars is a mid gen refresh is just a regular update for Tesla.

I think people should not have very high expectations for the Model 3. A car is a complex items involving many parts that you just CANNOT get for cheaper compared to other manufacturers... Just go and sit in a Volt and see what you get for that money in a EV... GM is not stupid, Nissan is not stupid; they hire highly intelligent people to try to make the best given their constraints...

Look at BMW, and see what you get for 35k... a 320i with a super weak engine with almost no options, no leather, no backup camera, no nav, no anything... I fully expect the base Model 3 to be that. Sure you can equip your 3 series really well with better engine, full leather, variable M suspension, etc, but you know what, that car costs 60+k in non-M form and 80K+ as a BMW M3.

So ya, you can get a Model 3 with 400hp, dual engine, 250 mile range, nav, camera, nappa leather, etc, but that ll cost more than a 70D, just like how a BMW M3 can cost a lot more than a 535 or even 550.

I expect the base Model 3 to have 150-175 hp single engine, 200 mile range, and pretty much nothing inside. You get the Tesla shape and badge, but no big screen, basically no tech, no camera, no sunroof, no SC, nothing, and all are extra, which is similar to what BMW does...

So Model 3's will range between say 35 and 85k depending on what equipment you add (including different battery and engine choices), just like you can do with the BMW 3 series / M3.

1. What's LCI?
2. The base BMW doesn't have power seats either.
3. A $17k Mazda3 has a backup camera as standard, so implying that a $35k car can't afford to have one is silly.
Also, by the time the Model 3 will be out (2018?) Federal mandate would have taken place, and all cars must have a rear-view camera. Tesla is not stupid, it'll have a rear-view camera from day 1, included in the price.

LCI is BMW language for mid generation refresh, which happens on the 5th model year of each generation (which generally lasts 8 years).

Backup camera is simply an example, as you said, powered seat is another. Right by 2018 every car will have backup camera. BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, e.g. premium car brands charge for these things because 1) increases profit, 2) these cars are more expensive to make than Mazda or Honda in general.

So ya, Tesla is a premium brand and is expensive to make, so in order to make money and also just to follow industry standard in options, it ll do what these brands do and charge for everything it possibly can on the Model 3. Basically the base Model 3 will be like a base BMW 320i with basically nothing in it and an engine barely powerful enough to move it at regular family sedan rates... And there will be a PxxD version of Model 3 which will be like the M3, goes super fast, got all the options and features, but costs 80+k.

Since BMW, Mercedes, etc do that, I would assume Tesla will operate similarly.

That's what I would definitely do if I were running the company. It just makes good sense.

Got it thanks.

And yeah, I agree with the rest of it. I'm sure people will get the $35k base model, but I see a lot of people getting a model with options, and closer to $50k-$60k, I'm not sure I see an $80k Model 3, but I can't wait to find out :D

I think the car looks fine. The reason why a facelift might usually be needed for something in high volume like a Camry is there are hundreds of thousands produced a year and people want to be seen driving something 'different' than the old one at some point. There are still so few Model S cars out there I think there is less of a need.

If Franz is going to tweak the design language a bit I can see them doing this to the Model S in order to bring it in line with the X and Model 3.

Last edited:
Spreading this kind of rumor without any facts to back it up (and "a service advisor saying there will be a facelift" is not facts) hurts Tesla, because it slows the order rate.

If you want to hurt the company, continue spreading this rumor.

If you don't want to hurt the company, stop spreading it.

Spreading this kind of rumor without any facts to back it up (and "a service advisor saying there will be a facelift" is not facts) hurts Tesla, because it slows the order rate.

If you want to hurt the company, continue spreading this rumor.

If you don't want to hurt the company, stop spreading it.

I disagree, once this has been prefaced with "Rumor" it's just like all the other speculation that happens on any other board on the planet. Ever visit a different car board? When's the next body style coming out, etc? (my dealer told me X, my dealer told me Y, my friend has an uncle who's cat's brothers owners sisters cousin works for the manufacturer and it's actually Z, etc.), same with electronics (new iPhone, new galaxy, etc.) same with any product that has a life cycle.