Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightning Strike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you do with the Roadster if a heavy storm is approaching and your house is without lightning conductor? We pull out all the plugs of television, computer, etc. Is it better to do the same with the Roadster?

Regardless of whether your house has a lightning arrester, the biggest risk to your electronics comes from any wires connected to it -- AC power lines, telephone lines, etc.

It doesn't require a direct strike to the house or the power lines; a strike on the ground nearby is all it takes to create thousands of volts difference in ground potential, which can really fry stuff.

If your house has a history of getting things fried during lightning storms, then I would unplug the Roadster, just to be safe.

When we lived in France we were on a mountain and, after storms, regularly had to replace answering machines and some other sensitive electronics such as routers even though the house never received a direct hit. I would definitely unplug an EV.

Answering machines and the like are especially vulnerable, as they are connected to two different wires - telephone and power. That's asking for it.

One of the houses I grew up in was very far from the power switching station and the slightest storm would translate to major surges -- cloud-cloud strikes would set off the smoke detectors. I lost a lot of electronics (a/c-connected only, like radios, too). Every other place I've lived has been much closer to switching stations and I've had zero problems in the worst storms. I'd still unplug if I knew a storm was approaching - easy enough to do.

Same here...I see loads of lightning damage to electrical equipment claims every year...they take time to settle & are sometimes a major inconvenience...easy enough to unplug an EV and be sure rather than have to spend time, effort & dollars on a problem later...

One of the houses I grew up in was very far from the power switching station and the slightest storm would translate to major surges -- cloud-cloud strikes would set off the smoke detectors. I lost a lot of electronics (a/c-connected only, like radios, too). Every other place I've lived has been much closer to switching stations and I've had zero problems in the worst storms. I'd still unplug if I knew a storm was approaching - easy enough to do.