Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor chargepoint annoyance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Hopefully someone from ChargePoint reads this.

So, I find a lot of ChargePoints in pairs in parking garages.

When I am plugged into one of them, the screen cycles through various displays saying things like "#1:Available"... "#2:In use/charging"....

On the side of the posts they have numbered the different units so I can see one parking space has a #1 and the next parking spot has #2. But then I realize that my car is charging on post #1, yet my display says #1 is available, but #2 is in use. I go to space #2 and it says both #1 and #2 are available. Then it dawns on me. They are talking about the two connectors on the one EVSE. #1 is the 120V behind the door and #2 is the J1772. So EVSE #1 has a port #1 & port #2, and EVSE #2 also has a port #1 and port #2.

To people working on the project, or those who have used them a bit it makes perfect sense, but it can cause some "newbie confusion" for those who aren't familiar with the ChargePoints. I think they have tried hard to make these as easy to use as possible, so it is a minor disappointment that this little confusing bit was left in. Perhaps they could just change the display firmware to say something like "120V: available... 240V in use" instead of reusing #1 and #2 which become ambiguous when there are two ChargePoint stations in neighboring spots. Or they could say "NEMA5-15: Available... J1772: In Use" (although I think 120V vs 240V is a better shorthand.)

(Hopefully I made the point clear enough.)

Hopefully someone from ChargePoint reads this.

Perhaps they could just change the display firmware to say something like "120V: available... 240V in use" instead of reusing #1 and #2 which become ambiguous when there are two ChargePoint stations in neighboring spots.

(Hopefully I made the point clear enough.)
+1. I agree; and your point is clear. I like the "120V" / "240V" distinction. Even average-Joe LEAF drivers should understand the difference.