Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan IDS Concept : Next Gen Leaf like with 60 kWh Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVNow

Sep 5, 2009
Seattle, WA
Nissan IDS Concept an autonomous-driving Transformer

Nissan has equipped the IDS Concept with a 60 kilowatt-hour lithium ion battery that is undergoing road tests and promises to dramatically boost range. The upcoming battery, which executives say is close to being production-ready, doubles the density of the latest 30 kilowatt-hour pack in the Leaf.

“A prototype vehicle with the 60 kilowatt-hour battery is already running around with a numbered license plate,” said Takao Asami, Nissan Alliance global vice president for research and advanced engineering. “From a technical point of view, the technology is already available. We still have to go through production engineering and product engineering phase.”

Engineers improved on that battery by switching to a manganese, nickel and cobalt chemistry for the cathode, from the current base of manganese-nickel. They also devised a better electrolyte, which improves the battery’s life span.

The new battery technology allows Nissan to pack 288 cells into the same space currently occupied by 192 cells.

Nissan gave the car wireless battery recharging.

Nissan-IDS_Concept-2015-wallpaper.jpg

Looks better than Leaf, but obviously very "concept" and not really indicative of a production car.

I'm more excited by the claim they have a working NMC prototype running around with 60kWh (presumably in similar size to Leaf pack).

I see leaf styling from the front charge port door to the cuv-style sloping backend. Frankly, I like my leaf. the "frog" look has grown on me, mainly because the hatchback is uber-practical.

If autonews is correct about a prototype testing with a 60kwh battery in the same spaces as the 30kwh one (isn't that the same space as the 24kwh one anyway?!), that'd be AWESOME!!

I am tired of hearing about concept car this, concept car that.

Show me a mass-production ready car with good range at a decent price. Until then just shut up.

Do you realize that most of these features will make it to the second-gen LEAF, a car going on sale around 2018?

2nd gen Leaf expected 2018: 60kWh NMC battery, 300 mile range, autonomous, CFRP - Daily Kanban

(The prototype shown still shows the current-gen LEAF design, that will of course change).

Since Tesla is most likely late with the Model3 the LEAF 2 will beat it to market - and Nissan can likely ramp up much faster.

taking from another thread
... it would be market forces driving Honda toward BEVs, not the mandate (Honda and Toyota can no longer stubbornly refuse to acknowledge BEVs being viable for long range passenger cars).

Nissan's IDS is very much a challenge to Toyota and Honda's vision of the future. Compare the size and simplicity of Nissan 60kWh battery compared to Toyota's Mirai drivetrain from tank, battery and fuel cell.
background viewing The Future of Motoring - Nissan - Andy Palmer - YouTube Andy Palmer 2014

If Nissan still has to go through product engineering and manufacturing engineering phases, this car is still at least 3 years out. Still, this looks very promising. It's infinitely better looking than the ugly i3 or bland Bolt.

Nissan's IDS is very much a challenge to Toyota and Honda's vision of the future. Compare the size and simplicity of Nissan 60kWh battery compared to Toyota's Mirai drivetrain from tank, battery and fuel cell.

It will be a true clash of the Titans in Japan. My guess is that Toyota is going to take the most damage, because the company seems to have invested little in its own battery technology. Meanwhile it is going full steam ahead with the hydrogen Mirai. Honda is hedging its bets. Although Honda's FCV program is almost 20 years old at this point and has a new Clarity FCV sedan ready for production in limited numbers, I'm getting the sense that the company does think that battery electrics will play a role in its lineup. Honda recently demonstrated an 4-motor AWD battery electric sports car based on the CR-Z. It is said to be much more fun to drive than even the new NSX hybrid. Where Honda is concerned, I suspect that an internal civil war could be brewing between proponents of different powertrains.

I
It will be a true clash of the Titans in Japan. My guess is that Toyota is going to take the most damage, because the company seems to have invested little in its own battery technology. Meanwhile it is going full steam ahead with the hydrogen Mirai. Honda is hedging its bets. Although Honda's FCV program is almost 20 years old at this point

At Toyota the father of the prius (Takeshi Uchiyamada) has ascended to be chairman. Its personal for him that Hydrogen is the future, not electricity, Ironically that means that the success of Toyota's Prius and hybrids is interpreted by Toyota to mean that Hydrogen and not Electricity is the future of vehicles. for eg Toyota Launches New EV, But Doesn’t Really Mean It. A Report From Green Hell - The Truth About Cars

Just a quick comparison of patents opened to the public between Toyota vs Tesla indicates the massive investments (both time and money) that Toyota has sunk in Hydrogen. - by contrast Nissan seems to treat hydrogen and battery as 2 sides of the same coin. Reality is, electricity scales, hydrogen fuel cells does not, so Renault Nissan continues to pursue electric vehicles with vigor. just a list of EV making factories from Renault Nissan is long. (at least 3 factories for Renault EVs and 4 factories for Nissan EVs)

Last edited:
Nissan needs to do something. Had leaf that was totalled and replaced with gen 2. Keeping eye on prices and here in northern Virginia, dealorships discounting new 2016 leafs by more than 6000. Volts are discounted by 2000. Plenty of stock On lots too. Minimally Upgrading battery on most expensive trim doesn't do much. They are loosing market share

The IDS concept is well done. I used to prefer Toyota brand over Nissan in a big way, but Nissan's triumphs, and Toyota's missteps have me changing views over to Nissan.