Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Trudeau transform Canada into a green energy superpower?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uhhh... like Kathleen Wynne has transformed Ontario? Governments can't do this. The best that they can do is to create a positive business climate, and then hopefully private industry will run with it. Direct government intervention into industry generally just backfires.

Wasn't it the government that mandated the phaseout of coal electricity generation in Ontario???

The question is flawed since there is no such thing as a "green energy superpower". "A superpower is a word used to describe a state with a dominant position in international relations and is characterised by its unparalleled ability to exert influence or project power on a global scale." Superpower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It take nuclear weapons, not windmills and solar panels, to become a superpower. Regardless of how green we become, we won't be able to exert greenness on a global scale.

Regardless of how green we become, we won't be able to exert greenness on a global scale.
Tell that to Norway...

- - - Updated - - -

...unless everyone else becomes "green" with envy :biggrin:
Exactly!

- - - Updated - - -

It take nuclear weapons, not windmills and solar panels, to become a superpower. Regardless of how green we become, we won't be able to exert greenness on a global scale.
Call me naive, but I'm feeling strongly that we are entering a new world order where the exact inverse of this is true.

Tell that to Norway...
You mean the country that is a huge exporter of hydrocarbons?

IMHO it is unlikely that a developed country is going to become a manufacturing hub for renewable energy. If you want solar panels to achieve parity with other energy sources, like coal and NatGas, then you need cheap manufacturing costs. That means the bulk of the labour will be done in Asia.

Sure we we could do the R&D to help to improve the efficacy of solar panels but that is unlikely to create a ton of jobs.

I would but no one pays much attention to them, unfortunately. I'm all for Canada doing what Norway does. I've said we should be doing what they do before you even joined here. But doing that won't make us a Green Energy Superpower (sounds like a health drink).

This is also the latest in Norway...

Norways electric-car incentives were so good they had to be stopped - Quartz

May 7, 2015 is not the latest from Norway...

Norway's electric-car incentives were so good they had to ...

qz.com/.../norway-electric-car-incentives-were-so-good-they-had-to-be-s...

This is the latest from Norway...so yes, people are paying attention. Norway is a green energy superpower:

Norway Is a Model for Encouraging Electric Car Sales - The ...

www.nytimes.com/.../norway-is-global-model-for-encouraging-sales-of-ele...
Oct 16, 2015 - Norway Is a Model for Encouraging Electric Car Sales ... bought a second car: a Tesla Model S luxury sedan with three times the battery range, .... on purchases of electric cars vs. comparable internal combustion engine cars.

I don't think this is the case anymore. I have a MicroFIT install done this summer and I am pretty sure my panels (40x 250W) were Trina panels made in China.

Ontario lost a NAFTA or WTO appeal on this. The original Provincial FIT and microFIT programs had strict made-in-Ontario provisions, but they were struck down.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you consider nuclear energy clean?

I do, absolutely.

Ontario lost a NAFTA or WTO appeal on this. The original Provincial FIT and microFIT programs had strict made-in-Ontario provisions, but they were struck down.

There are two separate things here. In mid-2014, IESO (OPA at the time) removed the domestic content requirements for FIT and MicroFIT programs due to a WTO ruling, and earlier this year, Canada slapped big import duties (50% to 286%) on solar panels from China based on CBSA and CITT reviews. The import duties are still in effect.

Wasn't it the government that mandated the phaseout of coal electricity generation in Ontario???

I suppose it depends on what you consider "green energy superpower" to mean. If you mean we use mostly clean energy ourselves, then I suppose we are already and have been for a long time. Even with a little coal we were almost entirely nuclear and hydro.

i assumed that you meant an exporter of technology, and then we are definitely not, and won't ever be without a positive business climate. Our friends at queens park are having so much fun spending money that they're killing the goose that's been laying the golden eggs (manufacturing). And I fear Trudeau will make it worse.

I suppose it depends on what you consider "green energy superpower" to mean. If you mean we use mostly clean energy ourselves, then I suppose we are already and have been for a long time. Even with a little coal we were almost entirely nuclear and hydro.

i assumed that you meant an exporter of technology, and then we are definitely not, and won't ever be without a positive business climate. Our friends at queens park are having so much fun spending money that they're killing the goose that's been laying the golden eggs (manufacturing). And I fear Trudeau will make it worse.
I don't think this is an ideological thing. Take for example, our government's wasting $1.5 billion in taxpayer's money in a carbon capture and storage facility that doesn't work. Our government is small c conservative.

There are two separate things here. In mid-2014, IESO (OPA at the time) removed the domestic content requirements for FIT and MicroFIT programs due to a WTO ruling, and earlier this year, Canada slapped big import duties (50% to 286%) on solar panels from China based on CBSA and CITT reviews. The import duties are still in effect.
Yep the second is what I'm referring to. They thought the Chinese govt was helping out panel makers in China too much resulting in dumping charges in NA and have set big tariffs that essentially banned some manufactures. It's a fine line, what if China feels state or federal EV initiatives or subsidies for Tesla's or other product is too generous.