Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to Alpine problem!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rcs1000

May 20, 2011
OK: I exaggerated in the title, but I have (sorta) solved the problem of the naff Alpine head unit.

I have installed (with blutack), a Samsung Galaxy Tab in-front of the standard unit, hiding it. I linked it with the Alpine using Bluetooth. The Galaxy Tab is almost exactly the same size as the Alpine, and I've hidden the charging wire reasonably well.

Now, whatever the Galaxy Tab plays comes out the Tesla speakers. And the Android navigation is so much better than the Alpine unit.

That said, there are some disadvantages:
(1) no reverse camera (as it's hidden) - no big deal, really
(2) radio is streamed over 3G (actually an advantage, 'cause the Alpine has terrible reception)

I will post pctures...

Here's something:
Pioneer AppRadio: Imagine Your Entire Car Stereo System, Powered By a Smartphone - Gizmodo
Eseentially, the AppRadio head unit lends it's 800x480, 6.1-inch capacitive touch panel, custom UI and audio amplification powers to the iPhone, which becomes the brains of the stereo system. You can access music apps and stream audio, make calls, play songs from your library, or access your favorite GPS app. You don't have to reach for your phone or use a crappy FM transmitter. And hopefully, this means the days of accessing your iPhone music via janky manufacturer UIs are over. HOPEFULLY.