Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Hidden cost of ownership?"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never in a million years did I think I would own a car costing into the 6 figures. In fact, I dismissed such expensive vehicles as unnecessary when I could still drive a really nice car for half that price. I've always appreciated cars but never considered myself a "car guy" or fanatic over any particular brand. All that changed when I discovered Tesla and I officially became a fanatic the day I placed my order. I now own this amazing vehicle and piece of technology and can appreciate (and justify, to an extent) the cost it took to acquire. And I appreciate it every second.

When I placed my order, I was agonizing over a couple different options that would have tipped the final price in a few thousand dollars in one direction or the other. Now that I've owned the car for a while, looking back at all the "extras" I've added post delivery is almost kind of ridiculous. Some mandatory, others 100% optional:

-NEMA 14-15 outlet
-Cable organizer
-CHAdeMO adapter
-Center Console
-Window tinting (all)
-Car wash supplies
-Xpel Full Front + luggage area
-Scheduled (Xpel 4 doors)

On my previous vehicles the only extra thing I ever paid for was all weather floor mats. I would have scoffed loudly at the thought of paint protection or high performance window tinting or whatever else. Now, I actually feel compelled to protect my investment. Almost to the point where I feel like a crack addict fiending for the next thing I can "do" to my car. But I also feel a bit guilty for spending this much extra on an already ridiculously expensive vehicle. I guess I'm looking for some moral support here. I know I am not alone here...

Whyyyyy?

Let's look at what you have listed.

Of all the options that you have listed:

I can see NEMA outlet and CHAdeMO adapter to be the only ones that are absolutely necessary.

Rest are optional...I agree with you its a beautiful car so we need to spend some extra to keep it that way...When I bought MS initially I laughed at the idea of paint protection and here I am having spent money on clear bra.

Yes you are not alone....But also this car is unlike my other cars...its special...its Tesla...

Do I envy recent release of autopilot features...yes I do... but that is how this car company is ...in other words I should call Tesla a tech company...

Don't have a Model S (still at the point where I'm not allowing myself to waste that kind of money) but, what was your previous car? Myself currently I drive an '13 Civic Si that was ~23k new. The 70D I want as configured is 85.2k, roughly 4 times the cost. Just yikes.

Let's look at what you have listed.

Of all the options that you have listed:

I can see NEMA outlet and CHAdeMO adapter to be the only ones that are absolutely necessary.

Rest are optional...I agree with you its a beautiful car so we need to spend some extra to keep it that way...When I bought MS initially I laughed at the idea of paint protection and here I am having spent money on clear bra.

Yes you are not alone....But also this car is unlike my other cars...its special...its Tesla...

Do I envy recent release of autopilot features...yes I do... but that is how this car company is ...in other words I should call Tesla a tech company...

Agreed on those two necessary items, plus I would add window tint too. It helps to keep the car cooler and offers better protection for the interior.

I've typically been very utilitarian about cars up until now. The Model S is such an attractive (and expensive) car that I was compelled to add a few thousand dollars to the ownership cost to improve the car's longevity and increase convenience. Supplementing my 14-50 with an HPWC, adding paint protection film, a dash cam, car wash supplies, and some additional charging accessories was easy to justify to myself.

Agreed on those two necessary items, plus I would add window tint too. It helps to keep the car cooler and offers better protection for the interior.

Spot on. Charger/Chademo and Tint are only what I would consider mandatory. Others are pure excess. But for some reason with this Tesla I feel compelled to get them done, whereas with my previous cars it literally never even crossed my mind.

A big part of that probably has to do with this forum, where I've found out and educated myself on all these other items. Never had this kind of community with previous cars. Damn you all!!! :)

To answer the question about my previous cars, my Tesla trade in was a 2012 Toyota Sequoia and before that was a Toyota 4Runner that I owned for about 5 years. I had a door ding and scratch on my Sequoia in the first month of ownership. Yes it annoyed me but that was the extent of it. Never got it fixed, never thought about it again. If that happens with my Tesla I'll be WAY more bummed out. And I'm sure I'll be compelled to get it fixed immediately. I suppose I had more of a utilitarian view of my Toyotas while the Tesla is truly an "experience" that I don't want to see get scratched or dinged or dirtied up.

- - - Updated - - -

I've typically been very utilitarian about cars up until now. The Model S is such an attractive (and expensive) car that I was compelled to add a few thousand dollars to the ownership cost to improve the car's longevity and increase convenience. Supplementing my 14-50 with an HPWC, adding paint protection film, a dash cam, car wash supplies, and some additional charging accessories was easy to justify to myself.

You took the words out of my mouth.

Eh, it's a very cool car, but nonetheless a car.

No PPF, no nano-particle wax, etc. I plan to keep it a long time (kept my last car almost 10 years, hoping for 10 years here too), at that point a few door dings, paint chips, etc. wont matter/affect the resale price much.

I did get Llumar tints, but that's because my kids would get hot in the trunk (though I didn't go all out here either, that other better brand is about 2x the cost of Llumar).

Could it be that you actually enjoy your Model S? Perhaps you've never been interested in accessorizing your previous vehicles because you've never connected with them in the same way? Maybe this is becoming something of a hobby for you?

Look, aside from the NEMA 14-50, none of the things you've added are really necessary but all of them are fun to have. (Okay, the ChadeMo adaptor may be a necessity depending on where you're driving).

The only hidden cost of ownership I see here is joy.

With hesitation I paid for a clear bra (Xpel) for my Porsche Cayman when I purchased it and after a month or two it became an obvious no-brainer. If you purchase an expensive car (>$40k) and intend to keep it for at least 5 years then just buy get it. When birds poop on your car and you're not close to home or work, or when you forget you're leaning the on the car, or someone else is leaning on it, etc... you won't have to go crazy in your head when these things happen.

My 10 y/o BMW is covered in swirls and micro scratches but the Porsche was nice and smooth. I wish I put Xpel on the doors and rear hatch. I plan on doing that for the Model S when I take delivery.

With hesitation I paid for a clear bra (Xpel) for my Porsche Cayman when I purchased it and after a month or two it became an obvious no-brainer. If you purchase an expensive car (>$40k) and intend to keep it for at least 5 years then just buy get it. When birds poop on your car and you're not close to home or work, or when you forget you're leaning the on the car, or someone else is leaning on it, etc... you won't have to go crazy in your head when these things happen.

My 10 y/o BMW is covered in swirls and micro scratches but the Porsche was nice and smooth. I wish I put Xpel on the doors and rear hatch. I plan on doing that for the Model S when I take delivery.

After having Xpel (front only) for only a day, I immediately see the benefits. The finish looks amazing. As far as I can tell, it doesn't really show fingerprints at all which is huge for the color of car I chose. At least not compared to the naked paint, which picks them up like magnets. All the concern I've had with washing/swirls goes away. I've had both my previous cars hoods get messed up due to bird poop etching the paint. Of course now I know to clean it up immediately, but the Xpel solves for that too (although I understand bird droppings can damage Xpel to some extent).

So yes, I'll be getting my four doors done too. THEN I'll be done with all these extras.

For now.

Please excuse a very naive question: What does a dashcam add to a Model S and why do you consider it a necessity? Where do you mount it?

Dash cam is small camera that records video 24/7/365 and is mounted next to the rear mirror on the windshield

It is not necessary for the function of the car.

However MS owners including myself opt for it because if something happens say someone hits your car you have the camera that is recording the event.

When I first bought the car I had someone back their car into mine and nobody saw it....after that incident I installed dash cam.. It just makes me feel safe

Dash cam is small camera that records video 24/7/365 and is mounted next to the rear mirror on the windshield... When I first bought the car I had someone back their car into mine and nobody saw it....after that incident I installed dash cam.. It just makes me feel safe
I am genuinely trying to understand why a dash cam makes you "feel safe", but I don't understand. It does not prevent incidents like you described, nor would it always allow you to track down the perpetrator. Yes it might show who was responsible if you were in an accident...and it might be you. So on balance, I do not see the advantages of a dash cam as being worth the expense. Obviously you do, and that's fine, but I'm asking if you can explain it more fully than saying you "feel safe". Perhaps I am missing something.

I am genuinely trying to understand why a dash cam makes you "feel safe", but I don't understand. It does not prevent incidents like you described, nor would it always allow you to track down the perpetrator. Yes it might show who was responsible if you were in an accident...and it might be you. So on balance, I do not see the advantages of a dash cam as being worth the expense. Obviously you do, and that's fine, but I'm asking if you can explain it more fully than saying you "feel safe". Perhaps I am missing something.

It does not prevent accidents and you are right.:smile:

Yes it makes me feel safe ....That is my opinion though...Someone backed their car into mine in a parking lot...I went about asking all the shop owners in that strip mall to see if they had any camera that would have captured the event. No one did it. I feel that if I had dash cam installed at least it would have identified the perpetrator.

Quoting what you said...."Yes it might show who was responsible if you were in an accident ...and it might be you."

how can you say that for sure ? Accidents happen because someone is not following the law or someone is making a mistake. That could be the other driver too.

If someone backs their car against your Tesla at least you know who did it...whether it can be used as material evidence in the court of law is secondary but at least you know who did it.

Dash cam is not expensive..at least to me it was $700-800 and for the car which is worth $80K + ...I don't consider that as an expense.

I don't know if I convinced you that dash cam make me feel safe but I guess we could differ in our opinions

13 mpg lumbering 3 Ton tank - LOL - what were you driving before? Armored Mercedes S-Class? (I friend of mine had one of these)

While I await delivery of my 70D and for my daughter to be old enough to take it off my hands, I drive a '13 Jeep Wrangler. It sits on 37" wheels with a 4.5" lift kit and has 1/4" solid steel armor on most of the underside, the fender flares, plus steel bumpers front and back. It weighs 5900 pounds empty.

I can't find the quote here, but someone asked "could it be that you enjoy your Model S?". I think this is the difference, and why people tinker with/modify/enhance their vehicles after purchase. My stock wrangler was a decent enough vehicle, but I bought it go drive up cliff faces doing 1MPH. I spent well over $20,000 plus countless hours of labor and blood spills and the time and effort of friends to modify that vehicle.

Prior to the Jeep, I had never modified a single vehicle I have ever owned. They've all been things I drove to get from point A to point B. Even my BMW, which I did get clear-bra'd, eventually felt disconnected from. I think there's something special about the Tesla, and it is an investment that I think should be protected. I plan on getting clear protectant for it and will probably go a little nuts with accessories....but if I spread that out over time it won't feel quite so bad :)

13 mpg lumbering 3 Ton tank - LOL - what were you driving before? Armored Mercedes S-Class? (I friend of mine had one of these)

My lumbering tank daily driver is a 3/4 ton Ford Econoline work van full of tools. A 6,000lb, 12pg, not-fun-to-drive thing for my post retirement handyman business. Imagine the surprised looks when I show up one day in my (as yet still in production queue) Model S and start pulling power tools out of the frunk!

Does clear bra come in 16mil thickness? :)