Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LGGD

May 29, 2014
Gold Coast
As the number of Teslas on Queensland roads nears 100 it is good to see that Tesla have now stationed their first employee in South East Queensland.

As at yesterday there is now an Asset Lite (essentially a market development manager) located in Brisbane along with a demonstrator vehicle (Model S P85D).

It is to be expected that this move will be followed in the not too distant future by permanent service capabilities in South East Queensland and a permanent sales facility as well.

Tesla already have a number of HPWC destination chargers located around Brisbane and surrounds at:

Next Hotel Brisbane
Secure Parking Wintergarden
Secure Parking Queens Plaza
Secure Parking Post Office Square
Latronics Sunpower Moffat Beach (Sunshine Coast)
The Brunswick River Inn (Brunswick Heads)

With more destination chargers being added regularly.

Tesla have also committed to connecting Brisbane with Sydney via the Pacifc Highway with Superchargers by the end of 2016 and given that Tesla have already connected Sydney with Melbourne via the Hume months ahead of their target hopefully the same will happen with Brisbane to Sydney.

In addition to the free Tesla provided destination chargers (and soon Superchargers) Tesla owners have access to a number of free ChargePoint and other free charging locations around South East Queensland and surrounds via the use of Tesla CHAdeMO and third party J1772 charging adapters. These chargers are located in places such as:

Brisbane BMW (Fortitude Valley) (CHAdeMO rapid and ChargePoint)
Kunara Organic Marketplace (Sunshine Coast) (ChargePoint)
Macadamia Castle (Byron Bay Area) (ChargePoint)
Bruce Bishop Car Park (Surfers Paradise) (ChargePoint)
Stockland Shopping Centre Burleigh Heads (Gold Coast) (ChargePoint)
King George Square Car Park (Brisbane CBD)

(And more)

With this list growing regularly.

image.jpeg

The Tesla Model S P85D demonstrator parked on James Street, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane. (In the 'official' Queensland colour).

Two new destination chargers have just been listed on the Sunshine Coast:

Spinnaker Quays
101-105 Parkyn Parade
Mooloolaba Queensland QLD 4557

Phone +61 7 5478 3899

Charging
1 Tesla Connector, up to 32A.
Available for patrons only. Self park.

Mirra Chana on the Spit
60-64 Parkyn Parade
Mooloolaba Queensland QLD 4557

Phone +61 7 5478 3270

Charging
1 Tesla Connector, up to 32A.
Available for patrons only. Self park.

Gudday LGGD

I havent searched through historical posts but has anyone done the Brisbane to Sydney Run using alternative charging systems yet? If so what points were used and what time delays(Amps).

I am thinking for my next Queensland ( Post New Years) sales trip I'd travel the eastern Victoria run then do Canberra/Sydney the following week then on to sunny QLD. Hmm possibilities...

Gudday LGGD

I havent searched through historical posts but has anyone done the Brisbane to Sydney Run using alternative charging systems yet? If so what points were used and what time delays(Amps).

I am thinking for my next Queensland ( Post New Years) sales trip I'd travel the eastern Victoria run then do Canberra/Sydney the following week then on to sunny QLD. Hmm possibilities...
see http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/50256-Distance-driving-Brisbane-to-Sydney/page3

Gudday LGGD

There are lots of different options for getting from Sydney to South East Queensland.

This is my plan for when I get the chance to do it:

You will need: J1772 adapter (about $250), ChargePoint membership (Free).
Recommended: PlugShare app (Free)

St Leonards Supercarger to The Observatory Hotel Port Maquarie is 378km. I understand this can be done in one go but I would recommend stopping at Stockland Shopping Centre Glendale (about 8km off the M1 near Newcastle) with dual chargers or the right adapter you will get about 31-33km/h of range from the free ChargePoint there. I would top up there for 1.5-2hrs (have lunch) and then continue on to Port Maquarie with no concerns about range.

Alternitives to this stop are any one of a few wineries in the Hunter Valley that have destination chargers.

Also, Telsa have committed to a Superchatger in the Newcastle area by the end of 2015. Obviously once this is in, this leg of the trip will be much quicker and easier.

I would overnight at The Observatory Port Maquarie (they have a HPWC) and do a range charge before setting off to The Macadamia Castle at Knockrow (Byron Bay hinterland). This is a distance of 379km but given the relatively low speed of much of this road it should be fine.

There is a free ChargePoint at The Macadamia Castle. Again, you will get 31-33km/h of range there. You will be very low on range once you get there so plan on a stop of at least 3 hours depending on where you are heading next (Gold Coast/Brisbane). There is a cafe at the Macadamia Castle, and mini-golf and some other activities as well as plenty of places to sit while you wait.

If on the other hand you wanted to stay at the Brunswick River Inn at Brunswick Heads, there is a destination charger there and this is just 27km from The Macadamia Castle so a charge of less than one hour will be enough and then after an overnight charge you will be in range of any location in South East Queensland.

Obviously there are currently other options, especially ones involving three phase charging. Not to mention that once any Superchargers are installed along the Sydney to Brisbane route the trip becomes faster and easier.

Thanks LGGD...that really is great info!

I'll be able to see for myself when I get mine very soon. I had never considered a stop at Stocklands Glendale but it does make a lot of sense even with the 90. Any opportunity to stretch the legs is welcome on a long drive.

It seems that most useful right now would be the J1772 adapter as you say but possibly also a 3-phase solution like the Mister EV Maxicharger or the e-station evr3.

I'll be able to see for myself when I get mine very soon. I had never considered a stop at Stocklands Glendale but it does make a lot of sense even with the 90. Any opportunity to stretch the legs is welcome on a long drive.

It seems that most useful right now would be the J1772 adapter as you say but possibly also a 3-phase solution like the Mister EV Maxicharger or the e-station evr3.
The three phase adaptor from Tesla Sydney ($130) with an adaptor will give 50 KmH in a lot of show grounds.

Thanks Heaps Raynewman and LGGD,

Thats terrific, very relevant detail. It will make planning the trip(s) much easier. I noticed an interesting remark in the other thread that your an ex aviator - me too although its been ...err 31 years since I last went for a fang in a Cherokee 140. I wonder how many other Tesla owners are pilots?.

Thanks Heaps Raynewman and LGGD,

Thats terrific, very relevant detail. It will make planning the trip(s) much easier. I noticed an interesting remark in the other thread that your an ex aviator - me too although its been ...err 31 years since I last went for a fang in a Cherokee 140. I wonder how many other Tesla owners are pilots?.
According to the TM forums there is a reasonably high correlation. I haven't flown in command for 17 years and now I'm waiting for a Battery Electric Aircraft :biggrin:

The thing with ChargePoints and a J1772 adapter is that you are using 24/7 public infrastructure. Three phase charging usually needs prior arrangement to access.

- - - Updated - - -

According to the TM forums there is a reasonably high correlation. I haven't flown in command for 17 years and now I'm waiting for a Battery Electric Aircraft :biggrin:

You may find this article interesting raynewman:

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/blame-faa-blunder-lack-electric-airplanes/

I love how logic progresses...... My brother (also a designer by parental genetics) was the the chief designer of an attempted Electric Helicopter project in Sydney about 4 years ago. The critical problem they found was the Counter rotating props needed very nearly the same torque for hover as they needed for full forward thrust. A 22Kw Lithium pack only gave them 16 mins flight time and they felt they need 30 mins minimum. They compromised and finished up fitting a Porsche diesel ICE. As a result the electric version will have to wait for higher Kw/Kg charge density.

Tesla test drives are now on in Brisbane:

EXPERIENCE MODEL S AT NEXT HOTEL - BRISBANE
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2015 - FRIDAY, JANUARY 8, 2016
9.00AM - 5.00PM
models-new-blue-profile-landing_55.png

What does it feel like to go from 0 to 100 km/h in 3.2 seconds without a drop of petrol? You’re about to find out.
You can now test drive the award winning Model S in Brisbane. Schedule your appointment today and a Tesla Representative will confirm your appointment.
Join us at NEXT Hotel in Brisbane and get up close and personal with the design, performance and technology of the Model S.

NEXT Hotel
72 Queen St

Brisbane
QLD
Australia

Experience Model S at NEXT Hotel - Brisbane | Tesla Motors