Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot avoids collision being cut off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the video [turn on english subtitles if you need] :

We were doing a first complete test of autopilot in Russia for our youtube channel (even before the European release, we have found an american car).

Actually we have a crazy driving style here in Moscow. It was interesting to see how Tesla's autopilot is going work in those conditions.

It worked really well even though the car drivers here are unpredictable. But we were completely amazed after it did that sudden avoiding manoeuvre. We had not seen a cab at the moment tesla predicted possible collision and started to spin the wheel.

PS: I'm aware about tesla's side collision avoidance feature. But when takes you off guard - for a moment you feel startled how smart it is.

Warning: don't do that at home :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Tesla Autopilot is too polite and let the taxi in. What probably happened, Taxi was closing in trying to merge and Tesla slowed down while turning to the left (to keep distance) which Taxi driver interpreted as permission to merge in.

Looks like Tesla Autopilot is too polite and let the taxi in. What probably happened, Taxi was closing in trying to merge and Tesla slowed down while turning to the left (to keep distance) which Taxi driver interpreted as permission to merge in.

Possibly, but I have never once seen Autopilot make such a sudden and severe wheel turn. I imagine that's collision avoidance as it's usually very small and subtle changes.

It had nothing to do with avoiding the taxi. It was just following the other car that cut it off from the left. My AP has done exactly the same thing when a car gets right in front of me that close. The wheel turns in order to line up just behind the car that got in front of you before it's has centered itself in the lane.