Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Deploying Side Mirrors in V 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hadn't seen anyone mention this as now a feature. I have a very narrow garage opening and have to close my mirrors when I go in and out of my garage. My usual morning routine consists of closing the mirrors to back through the door, and forgetting to open them until I hear the wind hitting them once I am driving down the road. Today after I had finished backing out of the garage, when I switched from reverse to forward the side mirrors opened themselves. I am very happy with all the continued tweaks.

I hadn't seen anyone mention this as now a feature. I have a very narrow garage opening and have to close my mirrors when I go in and out of my garage. My usual morning routine consists of closing the mirrors to back through the door, and forgetting to open them until I hear the wind hitting them once I am driving down the road. Today after I had finished backing out of the garage, when I switched from reverse to forward the side mirrors opened themselves. I am very happy with all the continued tweaks.

That's pretty cool and I hadn't noticed that. It would be great if it could also close automatically based on geolocation.

Hmmm. I back into my garage and fold my mirrors in the process so I can fit in. I hope it would not auto-extend when I go into drive to leave my garage (I'm still on 6.2). That is why I turned off auto-fold in the settings because it was auto-extending when I got in the car, before I left the garage.

Hmmm. I back into my garage and fold my mirrors in the process so I can fit in. I hope it would not auto-extend when I go into drive to leave my garage (I'm still on 6.2). That is why I turned off auto-fold in the settings because it was auto-extending when I got in the car, before I left the garage.
Would Homelink to auto fold (before park), and forward speed of 30kph to auto unfold work for you?

I also fold when entering and leaving my garage, but I open them as soon as I clear the door so I can see the other car sitting in the driveway. Tomorrow I'll try not opening until I shift to Drive, but I think I noticed it do that a few days ago. Nice to hear it's now a feature.

Cottylowry, No I have a 2014 model, delivered in December. I just had been following the Model S for quite some time prior to purchasing.

I have to apologize. When i got home this evening I tried to do the same behavior as I had witnessed in the morning, with backing up and switching to forward and it didn't do it! I don't know if it just hadn't done it "yet" the second time I started to drive forward being I hadn't gone very far forward, or if I hit the mirror button automatically without thinking when I left for work in the morning. I was certain I hadn't, but on the other hand it was 4am. I will try it again tomorrow and report back wether I was right the first time or if I should be humiliated publicly by publicizing false information unknowingly.

I have to apologize. When i got home this evening I tried to do the same behavior as I had witnessed in the morning, with backing up and switching to forward and it didn't do it! I don't know if it just hadn't done it "yet" the second time I started to drive forward being I hadn't gone very far forward, or if I hit the mirror button automatically without thinking when I left for work in the morning. I was certain I hadn't, but on the other hand it was 4am. I will try it again tomorrow and report back wether I was right the first time or if I should be humiliated publicly by publicizing false information unknowingly.

I don't think you need to be humiliated publicly, but I'm pretty sure the mirrors don't unfold when you shift from reverse to drive. Mine don't.

In fact, the manual says they should unfold when you reach 25 MPH, and I don't think mine even do that, though I will check that the next time I drive.

In any case, I have just started a poll on a suggestion for how the auto-folding mirrors should operate. That poll is here:

Suggestion For Change To Auto-Folding Mirror Operation

No humiliation. Just an honest mistake, which I wanted everyone to know, and I aknolwedged above. I was certain the car had done it on its own, but I must have had the pattern ingrained in my subconscious by doing it everyday and hit it without even thinking when I switched from reverse to forward.

As an aside, I am also pretty certain that my mirrors also don't automatically open at 25 mph either.

No humiliation. Just an honest mistake, which I wanted everyone to know, and I aknolwedged above. I was certain the car had done it on its own, but I must have had the pattern ingrained in my subconscious by doing it everyday and hit it without even thinking when I switched from reverse to forward.

As an aside, I am also pretty certain that my mirrors also don't automatically open at 25 mph either.

Actually I only mentioned the humiliation part because you did, and I was just trying to tie things up because you never actually did come back to report what you have now concluded. (Reread the post I quoted, and you'll see what I mean.)

So I was just saying I was pretty sure that was the conclusion you would have reached, that's all! :)

Edit: and as for the 25 MPH, if after checking I see that I'm right, and they don't, I'll probably try to check with a few other people by posting here, and if none of our mirrors operate this way, I'll also make Tesla aware of that. It was a good idea, and they --SHOULD-- do this.