Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

unhappy with my Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went from driving a PT cruiser to a Tesla.. yea I know heck of an upgrade ( Well deserved though).So my PT cruiser has better sound system believe it or not.

My issue is that there is not enough base! simple as that. I like my music loud with base, it sounds horrible in my Tesla when I turn it up to 10.

I should have upgraded but I was driving hubbys a Benz C350 for a bit as waited for delivery on my Tesla which has great speakers.

Now the question is, what are my choices now? I can not live with what I have in my Tesla.. its gotta go!

Any concerns with Tesla not honoring any related warranty terms with such an installation?

I'm not too thrilled with the lack of bass either with my standard audio but, don't want to mess with this lest I run into other (electrical, wiring) problems later that Tesla may decide not to fix because of the aftermarket work.

Another option is the Reus audio system. There are numerous threads regarding this system ---- just do a search for the term "Reus". You can also go direct to their web site at reusaudio.com.

The installations are done by their technicians ... they travel to you, so not only do you pay for the materials, you also have to pay for their travel (unless you can get to the Southern California area). If you can get a group of people together in a single geographic area for a "group buy", then the travel costs can be shared amongst everyone.

I have the Stage 2 Reus system installed in my car, and the sound is great. I know of one person who had the Stage 3 installed, and it was superb (in my non-expert opinion). The Stage 2 system replaces the stock Tesla bass speaker with a better one, along with the amp to drive the speaker. In addition, dual upper midrange tweeters, a center channel, and control module were installed.

A large group of us in the Mid Atlantic area of the US banded together and so we shared the travel costs for the installation technician. I think the technician had about 15 or so installs scheduled in Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and maybe North Carolina.

I think their cost sheet is proprietary, so I am not comfortable sharing it here. I will say that it cost a few thousand dollars. However, you can email Cliff Johnson at Reus Audio at the following address: [email protected] and inquire directly with him.

Regarding the Tesla warranty: I've not had any issues yet. The Tesla service technicians have noted the wiring (a tap to power the amplifier with its in-line fuse) and simply asked me what aftermarket accessories I have installed. The wiring is not visible unless panels are removed. The Reus system is the only aftermarket item I have, and I've been happy with it.

I went from driving a PT cruiser to a Tesla.. yea I know heck of an upgrade ( Well deserved though).So my PT cruiser has better sound system believe it or not.

My issue is that there is not enough base! simple as that. I like my music loud with base, it sounds horrible in my Tesla when I turn it up to 10.

I should have upgraded but I was driving hubbys a Benz C350 for a bit as waited for delivery on my Tesla which has great speakers.

Now the question is, what are my choices now? I can not live with what I have in my Tesla.. its gotta go!

You need aa 10" subwoofer.

+1 For Reus. Cliff actually contacted me a few weeks ago that he was going to be in NY, and he had a FREE update for my 1rst generation system. I was floored. The word Free and Tesla rarely go together. The update is a nice improvement in the overall soundstage, but I was already very pleased with the original install.

Now if only Tesla would support a hardwire connection between my iPhone and the audio system....deep sigh.

+2 for Reus. I purposefully did NOT get the premium sound knowing I would have Cliff install a Stage 2.5 for me. It is phenomenal. Recently had a loaner with premium sound for a day. OMG was that the best decision I made on my order!!

Ps can't wait for my (free) upgrade :):)

I used to have some ridiculous audio setups in some of my previous cars...

subs.jpg

(This was a while back... couldn't find a great picture)

But I've not gone too crazy in my more recent ones. I've found the bass in the Model S with the premium audio package to be mostly sufficient. Maybe a few % more would be good, but I'm not going to go crazy over it.

A follow up note on the Reus systems. One misnomer is that it's all about the bass. The Reus systems do indeed increase bass to a level of "quality" that I have never experienced, the sound-staging and speaker additions and swap outs make a complete audio experience that is truly amazing. If you have a local board or Tesla Owners Group that has a member with one you can experience I would highly recommend you do so. I upgraded site and sound unseen and without that experience but am 100% completely happy.

Last edited:
@wk057 --- my first audio upgrade was to my 1965 VW Beetle. I installed a shelf above the area just behind the rear seats and installed two large speakers that emphasized bass. One speaker in each of the doors, and one speaker each in the footwell areas around the front seats for a total of 6 speakers, which was generally unheard of in the mid 60's. In the trunk (my VW was my first car with a trunk in the front.....just like the Tesla today!!) I installed a power amplifier and a reverb. I cut a hole in the glove box so that I could fit an 8 track tape player (anybody remember those????) inside. Man, when I cranked up the volume that car shook!!! (Of course, it was only about 1600 pounds or so, if I remember correctly).

Then to really pimp it up, I installed tuck and roll upholstery and finally wheel adapters that allowed me to fit extra wide American mag wheels.

All of this while working part time at a local hardware store.

Those were the days......

Reactions: Vern Padgett