Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla End to End: John O'Groats to Lands End

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Roadster Road Trip: John o'Groats to Land's End | Tesla Motors

ABOUT THE DRIVE

Tesla has partnered with UK hotels and tourist destinations to install a high power charging network, comprised of ten charge stations throughout Great Britain.

Each charge station is privately owned and available for public use, either provided free or for a nominal fee. The network is the result of a grass-roots effort by Roadster drivers and forward-thinking hotels and resorts. Now Roadster owners can enjoy their cars’ breathtaking acceleration and 212 mile range as they tour Great Britain, and conveniently recharge while having a meal, using leisure facilities, or indulging in an overnight stay. Tesla’s High Power Connector (HPC) delivers a whopping 70 amps of electricity, fully charging an empty battery in less than three hours, and “topping off” a partially-charged battery in a fraction of that time. Complimenting the HPC network, Zero Carbon World, a charity dedicated to creating a clean energy future, has installed medium power connectors (MPCs), delivering 32 amps, at several sites throughout Britain. Tesla’s forthcoming Model S luxury saloon also can charge on the entire network.

An historic drive, from John o’Groats on Scotland’s northeast tip, to Land’s End on the southwest English coast, will combine the Roadster’s long range with the network’s high power charging. On Saturday, May 21, Kevin Sharpe, founder of Zero Carbon World, will set off from John o’Groats in his electric blue Tesla Roadster along with EV expert David Peilow, both taking turns at the wheel. They expect to reach Lands End on Sunday, with stops to charge up using Tesla HPCs along the way.

Follow our progress live at the link above or on @dpeilow and @zerocarbonworld on Twitter, using tags #endtoend and #EV.

Looks like it is time to revisit that Roadster London -> Scotland trip, but this time using public HPCs. Or, perhaps Landsend to Caithness?
Really needs to be a step up from last year, though - is Lands End to John O'Groats possible??? Is Robert Llewyllen available to drive???
Watch this space...

Wow! I wasn't expecting anything this quick. Have fun (as fun as 900 miles in a roadster can be), and I'll be watching on Twitter.

The following timings are very preliminary:

Saturday 21 May 2011

· 8:00 a.m. Leave John o'Groats KW1 4YR

· 11:00 a.m. Arrive Macdonald Aviemore Resort PH22 1PN (HPC)

· 2:00 p.m. Leave Macdonald Aviemore Resort PH22 1PN (HPC)

· 4:30 p.m. Arrive Dalmahoy Hotel, Kirknewton EH27 8EB (HPC)

· 7:00 p.m. Leave Dalmahoy Hotel, Kirknewton EH27 8EB (HPC)

· 10:00 p.m. Arrive Radisson Blue Hotel, Durham DH1 5TL (HPC)

Sunday 22nd May

· 1:00 a.m. Leave Radisson Blue Hotel, Durham DH1 5TL (HPC)

· 3:30 a.m. Arrive The Nottingham Belfry NG8 6PY (HPC)

· 6:30 a.m. Leave The Nottingham Belfry NG8 6PY (HPC)

· 7:30 a.m. Arrive The Arden Hotel, Birmingham B92 0EH (ZCW 32 amp)

· 8:30 a.m. Leave The Arden Hotel, Birmingham B92 0EH (ZCW 32 amp)

· 11:00 a.m. Arrive Castle Hotel, Taunton TA1 1NF (HPC)

· 2:00 p.m. Leave Castle Hotel, Taunton TA1 1NF (HPC)

· 5:00 p.m. Arrive Land's End TR19 7AA

I'm glad you are creating som positive buzz for Tesla in the UK.. with the BBC, Top Gear and the rest of the population against EVs you seem to need it :) I especially like that this is done before the Leaf Top Gear episode is aired.

Cobos

Not just photos... You guys should certainly shoot video as well. Maybe Bobbyllew can hook you up with some cameras.
Any scheme for getting charge status notifications?

I'm a little surprised this looks like an endurance run. What's the rush? Why not get a nice 8 hours of sleep at one of those hotels?

Enjoy the trip! :smile: