Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO related idea buy from private party wholesale - two questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MitchJi

Trying to learn kindness, patience & forgiveness
Jun 1, 2015
Marin County, CA
Hi,

Two kinds of private party MS sellers:
1. Sell to other private parties. Normally not very concerned with convenience, they generally want to maximize their sales price. Normally high asking prices (close to CPO prices).

2. Sell to Tesla. Generally convenience is a higher priority.

I am considering running a CL want add, something like:
Wanted: Tesla Model S I will pay you the CPO price plus $1k (get a referral fee for selling your own car!)

Two questions:
About how much does Tesla pay for CPO cars?

Do they, or will they provide potential sellers with a written offer?

Then you would be getting a 3rd party Model S for more than a CPO, with a worse warranty. If the car you bought already had 4-year extended warranty included it doesn't make it as bad, but those 4 years will still require a $200 per item fee (after original warranty is expired). So, unless someone is selling an extremely low mileage car, I'd probably stick with CPO.

I'm trading mine in, and although I have several people that would have been interested in buying it (especially at Tesla's trade-in price) I won't sell to them because it's out of warranty. Way too big of a risk.

MitchJi said:
I am considering running a CL want add, something like:
Wanted: Tesla Model S I will pay you the CPO price plus $1k (get a referral fee for selling your own car!)
Then you would be getting a 3rd party Model S for more than a CPO, with a worse warranty. If the car you bought already had 4-year extended warranty included it doesn't make it as bad, but those 4 years will still require a $200 per item fee (after original warranty is expired). So, unless someone is selling an extremely low mileage car, I'd probably stick with CPO.

I'm trading mine in, and although I have several people that would have been interested in buying it (especially at Tesla's trade-in price) I won't sell to them because it's out of warranty. Way too big of a risk.
I'm sorry, I guess I need to clarify. My plan is to offer to pay Tesla's CPO trade-in price plus $1k. I am hoping I can pay Tesla's CPO trade-in price, plus $1k, and either buy one that already has the extended warranty, or pay the current owner to purchase the $4k extended warranty, and still come out ahead.

Would you mind answering my (slightly modified) questions (please)?
MitchJi said:
Two questions:
About how much did Tesla offer as a trade-in price for your MS and will you provide a brief description (year, options, mileage and condition)?
Did they, or will they provide you with a written offer?

Thank You!

I'm sorry, I guess I need to clarify. My plan is to offer to pay Tesla's CPO trade-in price plus $1k. I am hoping I can pay Tesla's CPO trade-in price, plus $1k, and either buy one that already has the extended warranty, or pay the current owner to purchase the $4k extended warranty, and still come out ahead.

Would you mind answering my (slightly modified) questions (please)?

Thank You!

I'd like to know this too, I want to do something like this.