Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gary2011

May 17, 2011
Hi Everyone
I'm a newbie to the site, I'm an owner since Apr 1 and have some questions that
hopefully current owners have experience with. I have an issue with dirt and water
blowing in at the base of the doors, it was mentioned at the Owners Weekend and
Tesla said they were aware of it but had no immediate solution.

Also have been reading Tom Saxton's threads and find them very informative, also
the Tesla to J1772 adapter fabricated by Wegmuller. Does anyone know if you can
get a Tesla socket somewhere other than from Tesla. My understanding is you would
net the version that is on 70A garage mounted one in order to match up with the 70A
J1772 connector on the proposed charging stations. What I was told this past weekend
is that 70A is the best the Roadster can handle, you would not be able to fast charge
(45 minutes).

Does anyone know if you can get a Tesla socket somewhere other than from Tesla.
I think the answer is no.
As far as I know, everyone who has built adapter cables has bought a Tesla mobile charge cable (of some sort) and re-purposed the end.

What I was told this past weekend is that 70A is the best the Roadster can handle, you would not be able to fast charge (45 minutes).
Correct... The current version of the Roadster does NOT offer a high-speed/quick/DC charge option.

If you want to charge from J1772 it seems like you should get yourself on the list for the (backordered) Tesla adapter cable they recently started selling.

J1772 Mobile Connector - *Temporarily Backordered Tesla Motors
J1772_large.jpg

Hi Gary -

There is a whole thread about the joys of dirt/mud/slush at the base of the doors. You can find it here. I don't think anyone has yet come up with a definitive solution, but you can at least see what has been tried.

A smart guy I know has done a mod he's fairly happy with. I have purchased the parts and will be installing it soon. If he does not comment on his solution on that thread I will later on.