Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Range slowly declining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my S90D September 15th. At first with a 90% charge my range was 258 miles.
Since then my range has slowly crept down to where tonight I hit a new low of 251.
I'd like to know what other 90D owners are getting at 90%.
Is my slow decline normal?

Please chime in.

Regards
Ron

From what I've seen on here, it shouldn't really be the battery degrading or anything yet - instead it is the algorithm for estimating rated miles that is just estimating a lower amount. It does that based on your driving patterns which is likely not as conservative as what the standard rated would be (e.g. perfect temp, flat roads, x slow speed, not launching too fast, etc.). I'd think you'll settle into a lower number and then stay there soon...

I received my S90D September 15th. At first with a 90% charge my range was 258 miles.
Since then my range has slowly crept down to where tonight I hit a new low of 251.

Please chime in.

Regards
Ron

Same issue here. I got delivery the same day you did 9/15. Started at 257 now 253. I plan I bringing it up with the SC whenever I bring it in the first time.

Got my 90D on Sept 9. Got 414-416km for the first couple of weeks. Now getting closer to 406-408km. Been super careful to keep it above 25%, and have never charged it to 100%. Was told by the Vancouver a Service manager that this is normal. Supposedly will go down the first couple of months and then should stabilize.

• Love
Reactions: TFHutch
Yes we have experienced the same. On Oct 5 when the car was delivered, the car was charged to 90% and 263 miles. After delivery, it has steadily been declining. Today it was at 255 after charging to 90%. My husband spoke to our DS today and he said it was due to driving patterns. My husband has used the car mostly on the highway and somehow this is the reason why it has declined.

Two things going on here.

1/ The BMS adjusting it's estimate of the capacity of the pack, using a variety of factors.
2/ The first year is the worst for battery degradation. You guys probably are seeing some real loss. It will level out.

It's very odd though. If someone's consistently charging to 90%, they shouldn't be seeing this much of a loss.

I've had my P85D for ten months now and have consistently charged to 90%. I've stayed at 226 miles for the most part and only recently dropped to 225.

Is the new chemistry in the 90 packs behaving differently from that in the 85 packs?

My 90% dropped from 236 to 232 suddenly in late August or early September on my 85 pack. I think it may have been related to an update. But I wasn't really paying attention to it. I was really worried at first. But it has stayed at 232 since. I do think it may be an algorithm change.

It's very odd though. If someone's consistently charging to 90%, they shouldn't be seeing this much of a loss.

I've had my P85D for ten months now and have consistently charged to 90%. I've stayed at 226 miles for the most part and only recently dropped to 225.

Is the new chemistry in the 90 packs behaving differently from that in the 85 packs?

My P85D which is also 10 months old is at 221 @ 90%, and has been for awhile. 100% is now 249. It was 253 when new (I think).

It is well known that, on an annual basis, Teslas experience the highest battery capacity loss in the first year, somewhere around 2%, and then in subsequent years it is around 1% or less, on average. There are of course exceptions, but that is the average. What you describe does not sound excessive to me, though it might be slightly more than average.

Last edited:
Use Ideal rather than Rated range for battery degradation. Tesla seems to mess less with that algorithm. Note that there can also be battery imbalance which will show less range. FWIW my S85 is at 95% at ~60k miles and 2 years 8 months. No idea how much of that is imbalance.

My 100% when I got the car was at 257. Today - 25k miles and 2.5 years later its at 258. If I only charge to 80% for months and then 100% charge again it goes down to 253 and then comes back up after a few range charges.

If you only ever charge to 90%, the estimate means very little.