Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current "Classic S" owners looking to upgrade for autopilot - when? thoughts? etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Canuck

Nov 30, 2013
South Surrey, BC
I love my Model S a lot more than I ever expected, even though I had high expectations. When I bought it (ordered late 2013 and got it March 2014), my thoughts were I didn't need all the bells and whistles so I ordered what I needed. But now I find myself configuring a P90D, which will likely be my next one, but holding back thinking changes are again afoot. That's where my question comes in. When I buy again, I plan to keep it a long time (famous last words), and we all know Tesla constantly improves. So when to trade in and upgrade? The nose cone on the Model S has never sat well with me. I'm thinking the exterior is due for a revision and Elon's tweet last November saying no major changes for one year has me thinking the nose could be changed soon. I hate to get one only to have the next one roll off the line looking like this:

reddit.jpg

But life's too short not to have autopilot sooner rather than later. Then again, what else is in store? More sensors, cameras, etc. once the beta testing is done noting the shortfalls? Do I wait one year? It's not that hard to wait with my current classic car.

Anyone else in the same boat? Thoughts?

The build on my S85 was completed on Sept. 25, 2014, which (as I found out at the Autopilot announcement) was literally days before the AP hardware started being installed on all vehicles. So, while I love the car and and all the included features, I've had that bad taste in my mouth for the past year. The fact that AP took this long to be released made the situation a bit more tolerable. Now that it's hear and I got to test drive it, I'm blown away as I knew I would be (the reports regarding the daily improvement of the system make it even more amazing).

We already know (I believe) the current hardware will give us the ability to detect traffic lights and stop signs, but will not be enough for full autonomous driving or complete A-to-B routing under navigation control. However, for myself, I don't feel the need for that level of functionality. Highway driving and stop-and-go traffic are the biggies for me. So, I can see myself being very satisfied for a good while.

the end result for me is that I decided to go all in and trade up to a P90D. Tesla is giving me a pretty good trade-in ($70,500) and I will convert to a 3

Couldn't wait. Sold my P85 yesterday and picked up an almost identical P85 with autopilot (unicorn) today. 25k fewer miles, 21" turbines, dual chargers and folding mirrors were fringe benefits. VIN 53xxx

Hefty discount on this demo car with 13,000 miles that was on loan to a senior exec.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445563675.811012.jpg

I am sort of in a similar boat. We have the second Signature P85 in Canada, so it has none of the subsequent goodies, not even a "B" or later battery. Nonetheless, I still love to drive it and have done so for more than 103,000 kms.

I am not entirely without access or enjoyment of autopilot, or the other modern goodies, since I bought my wife a P85D last January. But we both understand firmly that it is her car, and she alone gets to decide when we take it on shared trips and when I get to drive it. So I have been pretty anxious during the past week when I wanted to be out there trying experiments with the rest of the autopilot pioneers. Today, she went for her first drive on divided highways and in city traffic, and (still nervously) enjoyed it. I debriefed her just now, but that was the extent of my participation.

As for myself, I can certainly trade in our venerable Sig, but that depends really on how much we love the X when we can really experience it and study it in person. We have a (non-Sig) reservation, and I am seriously considering that option. I am not motivate enough by autopilot (or even "D"-ness) to trade-up to another S right away.

But as the both the OP and DiversifiedOne have mused, next year may indeed bring another wave of changes to both the S and the X. I am most interested in the next wave of sensor addition. I think an integrated rear or 360 cameras, as well as rear radar are inevitable, and probably no more than a year out, I would guess. Waiting for that next step is certainly tempting. I am less concerned about aesthetic tweaks and convenience refinements, though lucking into them, like with the next gen seats, would certainly be welcome.

So I am still on the fence and watching. I have asked Tesla Canada about an update on X status here (no reply yet), and that may influence my decision. If the X does not grab me full-on, I will probably wait at least another year. We may have next-gen gigafactory batteries by then as well, maybe 95, maybe 100 kWh. Here is to hoping.

It is all a damn-hard high-class problem!

Just got the order agreement for a 85D. Inventory car with 5K miles, discounted $10,400 + $2000 referral. Discount was the only reason I was willing to take the hit on the Classic 60 and trade up.

Plus, I had 50K miles on the car and decided to just drop the $4K I would have spent on the extended warranty into the new car.

Looking forward to AP and the additional power/range.

I ordered an 85D to replace my 2013 S85 right before the X event. I figured if they were going to announce anything that applied to the S at that event, I'd get it on my car.

Autopilot was a factor for me, but not the only factor. I really wanted all wheel drive, as I want to be able to go skiing and not worry about the road conditions. I got luck with my S85 and never had any issues, but I did buy chains, which I hate!

FWIW, I prefer the nosecone to the rendering in the first post.

For me, no interest whatsoever in spending money on a "P" version as I find the standard car already ridiculously fast. I don't need stupid fast. I do, however, enjoy the options. My S85 has every available option (at the time) except the rear facing seats (no kids) and the 21" wheels (wanted the better range and to avoid the bent rim and premature tire wear issues). I do wish I had some of the options (especially AutoPilot) available now, but I will have to wait a bit longer before pulling the trigger on a new car. Today, that would be a loaded titanium 90D.

I suspect that most of us will be in this boat a lot. The car will always get better and have new features. I would like AWD and some of the sensors. I can wait on Autopilot.
I still love my classic. I have thought about an upgrade but not too seriously yet.

The original post is somewhat contradictory. One one hand you want to buy and hold the car for a long time (presumably for sound financial reasons) but on the other hand you're (quite understandably) hankering for the latest and greatest technology and don't want to have your car obsoleted by new advances. Sadly, the two premises never work together. If you're of a prudent fiscal mind, I recommend buying the most expensive car you can afford and then holding it as long as possible. If you like owning the latest/greatest and get envious of all the new stuff coming out, you should simply lease.

Tesla has basically convinced all of us that cars are like smartphones: a technology platform that will be endlessly revised, upgraded and improved from now until forever. Heck, Apple just came out with a lease program so you can always have the latest iPhone. Who saw "phone leases" as a thing 7 years ago? I'll bet in 7 years from now, everyone will rationalize that leasing cars makes more sense because who wants to drive around with 6 month old technology that doesn't support the latest apps. Our accountants (and parents) will weep, but Tesla will be laughing all the way to the bank.

My exact thoughts as well!! 90D in Titanium!
FWIW, I prefer the nosecone to the rendering in the first post.

For me, no interest whatsoever in spending money on a "P" version as I find the standard car already ridiculously fast. I don't need stupid fast. I do, however, enjoy the options. My S85 has every available option (at the time) except the rear facing seats (no kids) and the 21" wheels (wanted the better range and to avoid the bent rim and premature tire wear issues). I do wish I had some of the options (especially AutoPilot) available now, but I will have to wait a bit longer before pulling the trigger on a new car. Today, that would be a loaded titanium 90D.

It's definitely a treadmill. I owned my previous car, an Audi A6, for 11 years because the newer cars really didn't offer anything I cared about.

When I bought my S85, I did so at the time in part because my Tesla stock had gone through the roof. I realized that it might be, for me, a relatively short-term purchase. With the 85D, with all wheel drive and autopilot, I really don't see anything on the horizon that would make a replacement compelling for a long, long time. I don't need more range, and I don't particularly want higher levels of autonomy than the ability to be hands free on a long drive. Hopefully, I will keep this one for 10-15 years.

Furthermore, the price delta between what I can get for my S85 and what a new 85D costs will do nothing but grow as time goes on.

I'm in the same boat - i have P85 from 2013, loaded [even dual chargers, which i have maybe used once :rolleyes: ] and i'm eyeing the new car with interest. I would upgrade TODAY if i could have a **NEW** P85 with AP. I dont need the 'D' and i've filled all available frunk space several times a week due to our Greyhound in the back. Yes, i could probably move less junk around on our travels, but seriously - every inch of that car has been filled,

So i'm holding off until more tech or more refresh pushes me over the edge, or the P85 comes back...i think. :confused:

cb