Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger — Kingsland, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cottonwood

Roadster#433, Model S#S37
Feb 27, 2009
Colorado
I've heard from reliable sources that there is a Supercharger on the way to Kingsland, GA. This should help fill in the gap between Savannah, GA and St Augustine, FL. The 102 mile distance from Savannah, GA to Kingsland, GA and 69 miles from Kingsland, GA to St Augustine, FL should work a lot better for the I-95 travelers.

Keep your eyes open for clues...

Google Maps: Kingsland, GA

I've heard from reliable sources that there is a Supercharger on the way to Kingsland, GA. This should help fill in the gap between Savannah, GA and St Augustine, FL. The 102 mile distance from Savannah, GA to Kingsland, GA and 69 miles from Kingsland, GA to St Augustine, FL should work a lot better for the I-95 travelers.

Keep your eyes open for clues...

Google Maps: Kingsland, GA

I trust you enough that Superchargers in my Supercharger spreadsheet can now have a status of "Cottonwood". :p

Oh wait, emupilot has found the location, never mind ...

It'd also be very useful because the consensus is that the Savannah location sucks.

Here is the lease approval from September 14th for a 6 stall supercharger at the Kingsland Welcome Center, 1190 East Boone Avenue.

Great find! Thanks!!

This site looks like a very easy off/on from I-95 and close to several places to eat or sleep.

Google Maps: Kingsland Welcome Center

- - - Updated - - -

I trust you enough that Superchargers in my Supercharger spreadsheet can now have a status of "Cottonwood". :p

It'd also be very useful because the consensus is that the Savannah location sucks.

Ah shucks...thank you very much for the compliment!

This would be most welcome. I'd use this and skip St. Augustine entirely and go straight to Port Orange which is only 132 miles from Kingsland. This would make the stop in Savannah much shorter as well. I really dislike stopping in St. Augustine because it's such a pain to get in and out of the outlet mall. Skipping it will be most welcome.

Definitely difficult in a 60 in the winter! Last time I did it I was at 0 miles remaining and I was 2 miles away (I had driven 50mph for the last 10 miles too). The Welcome Center is easy on/easy off as well. I can't remember the amenities (I think we just pulled in there to take the dogs for a walk in the pet area), but it's definitely better than the inconvenience of the Savannah SC!

Congratulations. Now try it in a 60 or 70 or in the rain or in the winter.
please do not think that I am provoking an argument however the problem is not the weather, the problem is that you are using the wrong tool for the job, a 60 or a 70 is not the long distance driver an 85 or a 90 is. Yes the car can do it but it doesn't do it without anxieties.
regardless the kingsland SC, even though it is of little value to me, is a great fill in on the I 95 corridor.

Definitely difficult in a 60 in the winter! Last time I did it I was at 0 miles remaining and I was 2 miles away (I had driven 50mph for the last 10 miles too). The Welcome Center is easy on/easy off as well. I can't remember the amenities (I think we just pulled in there to take the dogs for a walk in the pet area), but it's definitely better than the inconvenience of the Savannah SC!

I think you are referring to the Georgia welcome center at Exit #1. The Supercharger permit is for the Kingsland Welcome Center off Hwy 40, at I95. I think it is at exit #3. Traffic is not as bad as St. Augustine but it can get busy. I wish they were building more than 6 stalls, I believe the location will be come very popular.

I think you are referring to the Georgia welcome center at Exit #1. The Supercharger permit is for the Kingsland Welcome Center off Hwy 40, at I95. I think it is at exit #3. Traffic is not as bad as St. Augustine but it can get busy. I wish they were building more than 6 stalls, I believe the location will be come very popular.

It is a bigger deal than you think. An 8 stall Supercharger has a 60% greater capacity than a 6 stall Supercharger with the same 2% chance of a queue forming.

See Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model; 3.60 average users is 60% more than 2.25!

BTW, I've started using the term "Bronze Spike" for gap filling Superchargers like Greenville, SC. Maybe Kingsland should get a "Mangrove Spike" award for it's great help on this long I-95 segment.

Last edited:
please do not think that I am provoking an argument however the problem is not the weather, the problem is that you are using the wrong tool for the job, a 60 or a 70 is not the long distance driver an 85 or a 90 is. Yes the car can do it but it doesn't do it without anxieties.
regardless the kingsland SC, even though it is of little value to me, is a great fill in on the I 95 corridor.

That's not going to fly... the base Model 3 will likely have a similar amount of range and the Supercharger network has been thus far designed to facilitate long distance travel with the base Model S. There is a reason that most of the jumps are 120-140 miles apart instead of further. Even in an 85 or 90, it is faster to travel with a shorter distance between Superchargers due to battery charging taper.

You're right. If I ever make this trip I'll remember to take my 85 out of my tool box rather than my 60.

I think it's wrong to say that driving 60s and 70s is the wrong tool, as if it's inherent to Tesla's plans, when the reality is that Tesla is building out the network in a way that leads initially to gaps that are more comfortable (or even only possible) in an 85+, but are backfilled as sites are agreed. It's true to say that taking long trips is easier in an 85 or 90 because they have more range and charge faster, but given Tesla's progress, 60s and 70s will increasingly be able to make longer trips without additional compromise or anxiety.

On I-95, the addition of the Kingsland SC splits a 170 mile gap and reduces the largest gap on I-95 to 138 miles. That big drop suggests to me that Tesla has been working on splitting that gap for quite some time. North of Newark, DE, the gaps are all less than 100 miles.

If you look at spacings between Superchargers (identified or open sites) along all Interstates, the most common spacings are 100 to 125 miles, 75 to 100 miles, 50 to 75 miles and 125 to 150 miles. Over 73% are 125 miles or less, over 88% are 150 miles or less. The remaining 12% includes:
- large gaps along Interstates that Tesla isn't currently filling, formed by Supercharger locations at intersections.
- gaps that we have information will be backfilled, but we don't know the site. (E.g. Trinidad to Lone Tree in Colorado Springs; Baton Rouge to Mobile in Slidell); similarly in Canada there's now information that Toronto to Kingston (151 miles apart) will be split by a site in Port Hope.

Well, this certainly helps bridge Savannah to Ocala for those of us coming down I-95 from Georgia (and points north) and heading for the Florida West Coast but wishing to avoid I-4. Definitely a problem solver that creates more flexibility entering Florida.

I can easily make trips in my 60 without it, but it certainly means I can go faster! I've driven Tampa to Charlotte twice, and Tampa to Boston in my 60. Seems like it's not the wrong tool at all...

In my opinion the best thing about the Kingsland Supercharger is that it is less than a five minute drive from salt.pepper.thyme, probably the best restaurant in the region.