Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between Euro and US spec Roadsters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are lots of lighting differences, like the ones in Germany have a rear facing fog light in place of one of the backup lights.
Also, red reflectors mounted low on the rear diffuser, and the side (turn signal) repeaters on the front 1/4 panels.

I imagine that the GPS map software is different, and perhaps the radio reception standards. (In other words a different model stereo. )

So I guess my question would be what's the difference between a Euro Spec Tesla and a Canadian one... I'm assuming there is no way I could import one from Europe based on our strict laws. Here is a link to the laws:

BSF5048 : Importing a Vehicle Into Canada

You CANNOT import a vehicle from any other country than the US unless it is 15 years old or older. But these exemptions apply:

"You can import a vehicle into Canada on the condition that the vehicle is designed, manufactured, tested and certified to meet the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, bears a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, has not been altered, and the certification from the original manufacturer is still on the vehicle in any of the following situations"

Now I'm pretty sure that the Euro spec does NOT have the statement of compliance for Canadian or the U.S. safety standards right?

The european Roadster doesn't turn the brakelights on, if regenerating. But maybe if you're driving in Amerika Tesla could fix that with a little modifying.

I'm told that this is a firmware configurable option (albeit with a high security level required). The ones in Hong Kong have it OFF. At least one owner here is trying to get it turned on (for safety reasons). The original reason it was OFF was because of an interpretation of the law saying you could only illuminate the brake lights if the driver was physically depressing the brake pedal.

Now I'm pretty sure that the Euro spec does NOT have the statement of compliance for Canadian or the U.S. safety standards right?

An acquaintance of mine tried and failed to import a Lotus Elise from the USA. It's a long story but they might have been able to do it with a nod from Lotus, but they wouldn't play ball. So he's storing it in the USA until it's a "vintage car" (15 years).

So it might be possible with Tesla's assistance, but there's probably only one way to find out for sure - by trying to do it.

You've got a line on a EU Roadster trade?

I'm told that this is a firmware configurable option (albeit with a high security level required). The ones in Hong Kong have it OFF. At least one owner here is trying to get it turned on (for safety reasons). The original reason it was OFF was because of an interpretation of the law saying you could only illuminate the brake lights if the driver was physically depressing the brake pedal.

Success! I now have regen activated. You can do it too! My tailgating anxiety has been dramatically reduced. :)

An acquaintance of mine tried and failed to import a Lotus Elise from the USA. It's a long story but they might have been able to do it with a nod from Lotus, but they wouldn't play ball. So he's storing it in the USA until it's a "vintage car" (15 years).

So it might be possible with Tesla's assistance, but there's probably only one way to find out for sure - by trying to do it.

I might ;)

From the link I provided - it seems that the rules are very different for cars coming from the EU and a lot more strict. The sticker in the door panel has to distinctively say that it was built to CAN or US safety regulations... this is a real bummer... :(