Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's do a v8 UI commons project!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Lot's of gripe on v7 UI.

How about we focus that negative and positive energy into a real project!? Save the designers at Tesla some trouble and bother of having to do this all on their own. We'll let them play in the project too. Can add real constraints if they... maybe upcoming feature hints to accommodate.
Do a give-back for the car company we want to succeed and make our rides better... should the UI see the light of day.

Let's do an open sourced design for a new UI that we'd think is ideal for all cars, right here in this forum.
For both instrument cluster and center console. Simultaneously.
Probably necessary to have 2 branches: AP and non-AP cars, but the there should be LOTS of commonality in the UI far all cars.

So many bright software, UI, UX and car smart people on this forum. (I'm just one of them :wink:)

I'll contribute a screen to start it all off. The "cleaning mode" screen, with a button and countdown timer to dismiss. It's symbolic.

BUT it gets ONE enhancement: You press the button for 2 solid seconds to initiate a countdown that the screen will go away in 5 seconds 4, 3, .. unstoppable and when 0 hits the screen is gone. This allows you to wipe the finger smudge off the button itself after pressing it to dismiss. Something you can't do today.

If we pick a common UI development tool for mock up's and put the source out there ... this could really rock!

Last edited:
...This allows you to wipe the finger smudge off the button itself after pressing it to dismiss. Something you can't do today...
One answer to this small dilemma is to use the right screen cleaner. There is one that "Miraculously Resists Fingerprints".

WHOOSH! - Tech Hygiene

(The duo+ is perfect as the .3 oz bottle and small cloth fits perfectly in the front driver's seat pocket. Refill with the 3.4 oz bottle as needed.)

Another answer is to press the final button through a single layer of drying cloth or wash the natural oils off your hands before cleaning the screen! If your microfiber cloth is sizable enough, you could also use enough layers of towel to wipe off the last remaining finger print without re-activating the screen. :smile:

OT: I got the matte finish screen protector from abstract ocean and almost never get messy fingerprints. And when I do, they're not really visible and easy to clean off. Worth every penny.
OT: It appears they have 4 versions.
Tba6AOX.png

I think they only had gloss and matte when I bought mine. Looks like the plain "Matte" version offers the same as what I got. The HD Matter offers a tiny improvement in clarity, but nothing else better than the Matte version. And my matte version is totally "clear".. I have no clarity issues with it. Now yes, compared to no protection you can tell a difference, but it's minor and subtle. Probably can't lose either way.

Lot's of gripe on v7 UI.

How about we focus that negative and positive energy into a real project!? Save the designers at Tesla some trouble and bother of having to do this all on their own. We'll let them play in the project too. Can add real constraints if they... maybe upcoming feature hints to accommodate.
Do a give-back for the car company we want to succeed and make our rides better... should the UI see the light of day.

Let's do an open sourced design for a new UI that we'd think is ideal for all cars, right here in this forum.
For both instrument cluster and center console. Simultaneously.
Probably necessary to have 2 branches: AP and non-AP cars, but the there should be LOTS of commonality in the UI far all cars.

So many bright software, UI, UX and car smart people on this forum. (I'm just one of them :wink:)

I'll contribute a screen to start it all off. The "cleaning mode" screen, with a button and countdown timer to dismiss. It's symbolic.

BUT it gets ONE enhancement: You press the button for 2 solid seconds to initiate a countdown that the screen will go away in 5 seconds 4, 3, .. unstoppable and when 0 hits the screen is gone. This allows you to wipe the finger smudge off the button itself after pressing it to dismiss. Something you can't do today.

If we pick a common UI development tool for mock up's and put the source out there ... this could really rock!

Who decides what gets done and makes the aesthetic choices? This sounds like graphic design by committee and we know what that looks like. Should we have a plebiscite on proposed designs?

As for screen smudges I stopped using my finger for exactly that reason. I keep a long stylus under the screen and it's the only thing that touches the screen. Learned this from David Bennett. That simple solution keeps the screen smudge free.

Who decides what gets done and makes the aesthetic choices? This sounds like graphic design by committee and we know what that looks like. Should we have a plebiscite on proposed designs?

As for screen smudges I stopped using my finger for exactly that reason. I keep a long stylus under the screen and it's the only thing that touches the screen. Learned this from David Bennett. That simple solution keeps the screen smudge free.

It think a community sponsored template is a great idea. How deep into each screen were you willing to go?

I will say that I think the look/feel of v7 isn't as terrible as some others seem to think. The color scheme has it's benefits at night over the old. However, the cluster console info needs to be fixed back to what it was or closer. Especially with AP off. The odo in the center is insulting when the more useful range/% is nearly hidden. Plus, give us back the date, geez.