Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Italy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know two places in Val Chisone that probably can help. You should call them:

1. Hotel Lago di Laux. (Via Al Lago, 7 Usseaux TO 10060 Italy, +39 0121 83944) This is a great little hotel with friendly hosts and great local food. They have also got a camping ground on site which has both 32A and 16A hookups for motorhomes. You could easily charge there, and when I last stayed I asked if that would be OK for EVs and they said yes.

2. There is a centre for motorhomes with lots of hookups in Sestriere (2006 Winter Olympics) which probably would let you charge. If I recall correctly there were 32A hookups when I looked.

In general I think Italy will be good for charging from motorhome facilities since they have so many.

Also all towns organise various festas in their streets and for this reason you see lots of sockets in the street - it may be worth phoning smaller towns to talk to them about whether they could let you charge that way.

Some larger towns have Green Zones where the town centre is closed to general traffic but electric vehicles are allowed. Examples are Sienna, Perugia and Florence (if I recall correctly). Ask them:
A. How to get the permit to drive inside
B. Do they have EV charging.

If you don't speak Italian I am happy to help and make some calls for you - PM me if so with your email and phone number.

Last edited:
An update. The hotel is shut until 26 May. I suggested some alternative Info sources to Eberhard and then thought I should share more widely:

1. BBC - Radio 4 - Electric Ride - Electric Ride Map

Look at June 22nd. Spotorno is a good mid point for charging. Maybe if you contact the journalist at the BBC he will reveal precisely where they charged and with what connector. A search on Google maps in that area for "Colonnine di Ricarica" (charging columns) reveals

2. Genova: dopo le bici elettriche il Comune installa colonnine di ricarica per le macchine | Genova24.it

This lists a number of places inside Genova where there are planned (some may exist) charging columns. However beware that another link (Colonnina Sestri Ponente (GE) - propulsione alternativa ) says that you can't use them without a card from ENEL (Italian electricity company).

3. Il percorsoCorrente in movimento 2011

A group doing a tour of Italy in electric car. They will be in the area you need to recharge (either Genova or Torino) around 22-24 May. If you contact them maybe they will give you their planned charging locations.

Not looking good for charging at over 16A in Italy. I checked some charge points in Bolzano, they all were 16A, even the ones with the blue CEE connector.
The HPC's in the Tesla Milan Store will still take months to install, don't calculate with them for this summer.

Hi Dragon, do you want to try my suggestions in the second post (Hotel Lago di Laux) and camper sites (for example the one in Sestiere, but there will be lots of others)?

Also don't forget that for some parts of northern Italy the 32A charging in Ticino (Switzerland) can be used. The network is called Riparti. Lemnet.org lists all the locations. Not sure what the access arrangements are.

Useful sites could be:
- Locarno for Lago Maggiore
- Lugano for Varese (35 km)
- Hotel Campione bordering Campione d'Italia
- Chiasso for Como (adjacent) and Varese (28 km)

I would be really interested about what you discover vis-a-vis camper sites. If there are 32A electric hookups at some; will they welcome EVs (as in the USA the RV sites do); what will they charge; which is the best directory?

Nord and Sud? Were are these, doesn't tell me anything.
CH-6503 Bellinzona TI
Autobahn-Raststätte Bellinzona Nord A2, Mövenpick Marché-Restaurant, bellinzona-nord(at)marche-restaurants.com, Marché | Restaurants - frisch, gesund und schnell essen, 091 826 31 01
3 Steckdosen (2 x T13, 1 x CEE16A rot 5-pol Typ 410, Drehstrom 400 V bis 63 A) / offen: 24 h / Stromkosten: gratis; die Säule ist von TexxEnergy (Landis + Gyr / Texx - TexxEnergy) / Parken: die Elektroparkplätze sind speziell gekennzeichnet

CH-6513 Monte Carasso TI
Autobahn-Raststätte Bellinzona Süd A2, Mövenpick Marché-Restaurant, bellinzona-sued(at)marche-restaurants.com, Marché | Restaurants - frisch, gesund und schnell essen, 091 857 21 47
3 Steckdosen (2 x T13, 1 x CEE16A rot 5-pol Typ 410, Drehstrom 400 V bis 63 A) / offen: 24 h / Stromkosten: gratis; die Säule ist von TexxEnergy (Landis + Gyr / Texx - TexxEnergy) / Parken: die Elektroparkplätze sind speziell gekennzeichnet / Standort: die Steckdosen befinden sich auf dem Parkplatz des Hotels Mövenpick BenjamInn; von der Autobahn A2 aus zugänglich (Fahrtrichtung nach Norden) oder von Monte Carasso aus (Tor beim Hotel, wird vom Empfang bedient, der 24 h geöffnet ist)
Schlafen: Hotel BenjamInn, +41 91 857 01 71, [email protected], Benjaminn | Ihr Hotel in Bellinzona

please look at LEMnet - Internationales Verzeichnis der Stromtankstellen