Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Meet-Up - Sunday 15th May 2011

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

markwj

Asia Pacific
Apr 10, 2011
Hong Kong
There will be a meet-up in Hong Kong, early on this coming Sunday 15th May. This is for all local Tesla owners and Tesla Club Members. We will be meeting in Tsim Sha Tsui, followed by a group drive (should be lots of roadsters coming) and brunch.

For further info, please contact Jessie at Tesla HK.

How was it?

Fun.

10 roadsters and 1 horse (seriously) turned up. I ended up pretty-much circumnavigating Kowloon and the New Territories, putting 180km on the odometer and using about 1/2 the battery. Strange, really, as Jeremy Clarkson said I'd run out after 80km. Seems to work in my world.

This emphasizes how suitable EVs are for Hong Kong.

We ended up at the Jockey Club facility in northern Hong Kong, close to the border to China. This is where one of our members keeps his horse. Many comments were made concerning comparisons of horse power, and 0-60 times. Conclusion seemed to be that the horse wins on both torque and turning circle, but loses out on tailpipe emissions.

The best part of these meetings, for me, is the discussions with other owners. Sharing hints, tricks, problems and recommendations. It is still a small community here, but we all share a passion for the brand we drive, and EVs in general.

Indeed a good time, but brutally early.

I'm curious to know how much energy your charge cycle consumed following the trip, Mark. On my 13A charger, I used 52 kWh to fully recharge from ~30 SOC in normal mode. I am averaging about 330 kWh/km plug to wheel using this charger. I have a question to the techs pending about charging efficiency and how much energy I could save if i use either the 32A or 70A charging options...

Indeed a good time, but brutally early.

Yes, painful.

I'm curious to know how much energy your charge cycle consumed following the trip

I actually haven't plugged it in since Saturday night (and it is Tuesday, with a short airport run yesterday as well as two office commutes) - The battery really is big enough for me ;-)

I'll have a look tomorrow morning after tonight's charge. I charge at 70amp from HPC.

cool! looking forward to some pics.

Here's a group shot (a couple of the cars were parked in a different area, but it shows the group against the fantastic Beas River background).

HKmeet.JPG

I'm curious to know how much energy your charge cycle consumed following the trip

Curious: I can't find this screen on my car. I can see charge history, and total consumed (this day, this month), but can't find any consumption history screen.

I charged last night (29Kwh for 2h18m, 70amp standard mode), but energy use screen says 54Wh used today (this was this morning, when I hadn't used any power since charging). Not sure what it means by 'today' on that screen. Maybe it is based on the trip counter? I guess I'll have to read the manual ;-)

Probably best to raise your question on this forum, and see if any of the techs here know what is going on. If the disparity is caused by 32A vs 70A and the aircon, then it should use less overall power at 70A (as the aircon is on for less time).

Curious: I can't find this screen on my car. I can see charge history, and total consumed (this day, this month), but can't find any consumption history screen.

You're correct... There (AFAIK) is no screen that shows consumption in this way. The trip counter is the best source of info, since it records net usage and average consumption per km. I just compare this value (assuming I reset it before heading out after a charge) to the charging history when I get in the car in the morning after charging.

This morning's calculated average socket to wheel usage was 310 Wh/km. I'm using the 230V 13A spare charger for my daily charging needs.

Ok. Got the figure. It seems the 'today' figure resets when you start driving.

Today I drove about 44km on my commute. Car says I used 7.4kWh (rounded to .1 kWh). Tonight's recharge was 50minutes at 70Amp, using 8kWh (rounded to 1 kWh). Seems to be about what I would expect. Perhaps I should try it tomorrow at 13Amp?

P.S. This also puts my commute at about HK$4 each way (about 1/4 the Prius I replaced, and 1/10 the Land Rover the Prius replaced).

Wow... That's much better efficiency than mine. My charge sessions usually last around 6-8 hours at 13A. If you're feeling like being a good test subject, I would find both 13A and 32A values to be quite useful.

I wonder if Kenneth got any shots of me crossing the double white lines after I followed Philip into the wrong lane of the tunnel... :-/