Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging problem and noises with the UMC 240

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge my Roadster with the UMC 240 and 16 A.

Today when I connected the car it did not change from white to blue light. Suddenly, after about 60 sec. it changed and started charging.
Then after one hour I went to the garage and the car made a noise. It was like loud noise coming from the rear fans. Never heard a noise like this on the car.
I stopped charging manually on the screen and the noise went slowly away.
When I attempted to start charging again with the UMC the light stayed white and the screen said: "Waiting...."
I connected and disconnected opened and closed shut down and on looked after the fuses. Butt it did not want to start charging again.
Then I took my mobile connector put it on 10 A, and now it charges immediately. Tha fans are working but not so loud.
What is the problem?
Two problems?
Or is the UMC broken and made the car behave strangely?

I'm not sure about the other issues, but fans during charging is normal. Sometimes they're very loud. I think whether it happens depends on the battery temperature, which in turn depends on the ambient temperature and charge rate.

Thank you.
The fans never have been that loud like today!? But yes, they are louder on 16 A then on 10 A
The UMC has restarted working, but it is not immediately when I push the "close-glider" that the light changes from white to blue, it takes 60 seconds to minutes before it suddenly does and also the green power light on the charger goes on.

Charging can be noisy

I was surprised at how loud the car can be during a charge. I think the AC comes on for additional battery cooling depending upon how many amps you are pushing to it and the ambient temperature.

I have also noticed that if you interrupt a charge, I have to remove the cord, close the door for a few seconds to get the system reset. I have not had luck restarting on the fly.

If it's warm enough, the PEM fan will come on full blast and it'll sound like a hair dyer.. it should be a clean "fan" noise, however (and not scraping or vibrating type noise) ...
The A/C can come on, too, in which case the front fans will come on, and that's also pretty loud.
Not sure about the timing issues -- I'd definitely take note of exactly when it happened and let Tesla know so they can pull logs and see if something's amiss.

It is louder then usual and it is not warmer then usual. The front fans do not come on. You can feel the car vibrating when you touch it, so I suppose at least one of the fans has a problem.

The charging with the UMC didn't start at once also when not having been interrupted.

I guess those are two separate issues. I'll talk with Tesla tomorrow.

I'm not sure about the other issues, but fans during charging is normal. Sometimes they're very loud. I think whether it happens depends on the battery temperature, which in turn depends on the ambient temperature and charge rate.

I don't think the rear fans have anything to do with battery temp. One is ducted to the PEM, the other to the motor. Its probably a warm PEM that has the fan going at the high speed. When the car wants extra cooling for the battery, the AC and front fans come on.

Once again, fantastic experience at the Tesla Store Zürich today!

I went there, because I had some business at the same street as the Tesla store, even though they had offered to make the service at my home. When I arrived they were allready waiting and started working immediately. I was sorry that I had something to do, and was not able to watch all the time.
- They changed both rear fans
- They made a firmware update which according to them gives the recuperation more power again
- They gave me a new entire soft top. One of the levers, was free, no spring action, so they changed the whole roof
- My UMC worked without any problem at their place. On my drive home I tested it on a recharging station and at home. And yes, it works, with no problems now. So they suspect a problem at the installation at my home...

What a fine experience!