Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking/Rubbing with Next Gen Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P85D with Next Gen Seat option. There is no room between the center console arm rest and the side seat bolsters - they actually touch. Lately, I have noticed that this has translated into rubbing, squeaking and in general slightly annoying cabin noise. Is anyone else experiencing this with the same set up? Can those that have the option confirm that these seats actually touch the console with their set up?

I have a P85D with Next Gen Seat option. There is no room between the center console arm rest and the side seat bolsters - they actually touch. Lately, I have noticed that this has translated into rubbing, squeaking and in general slightly annoying cabin noise. Is anyone else experiencing this with the same set up? Can those that have the option confirm that these seats actually touch the console with their set up?

I had this issue. I temporarily 'fixed' it by adjusting seat position (raising the seat is what helped the most). When a Ranger was out, he oiled the seat with some sort of fluid meant specifically for stopping the squeaks. More interestingly, he also noticed another noise coming from under the seat itself (i was missing it due to the rubbing sound). He fixed that by tightening a screw (although he said it was harder to fix than other cars, he kept adjusting that screw/bolt/whatever tighter/looser until the sound stopped).

Had this sort of thing in other cars before.
Bit of talc powder is simplest way to stop such creaks.
Thanks, I got to try this.

The rear seat on the passenger side is particularly noisy in mine. And of course its the side that's most used (its curb side). Its kinda annoying that the poor person sitting there sets if off with ever slight movement they do. I also cause them to move by mashing the accelerator, and that never gets old. :)

There has to be a better way than powder, this is a luxury car and should not make noises like this, it must be a design flaw and the SC should handle this kind of problem.

If you want it to be fixed temporarily just adjust the seat height like I did. But the SC should have a fix for this because my head will not continue to touch the Pano roof when I have too adjust in my seat.....

I have a 70D with gray NG seats and it has this problem with the driver's seat. I took it to the Columbus Ohio service center. They indicated to me that it is a known problem and have ordered something (they were not specific on what they ordered) to fix the problem. I should be notified when it comes in.

There has to be a better way than powder, this is a luxury car and should not make noises like this, it must be a design flaw and the SC should handle this kind of problem.

hey- i'm not suggesting powder the car up to make it look like you're taking prints at a crime scene.
Whenever I have had this before, and it's not a Tesla specific issue, had the same issue in MB and Honda too, more just to do with a couple of leather surfaces rubbing slightly against each other.
Literally just a tiny bit on your hand, rub it onto the creaking surface sparingly enough that you dont even see it, just modifies the surface friction a bit.

You could also use sprays I guess, but this doesnt go all claggy and if you want you can just wipe it off with a damp cloth

Just had my 70D at the service center for NG seat rubbing noise. The lubricant is a temporary solution and they're working on a number of possible solutions. Make an appointment and get it in there problem database anyway. The lubricant made it better but it's still there.

For mine, I find that if I slide the left (driver) side leather cover to the armrest back (so that the left cupholder is exposed), the problem goes away. I'm guessing those things are tapered a little, and sliding it back moves the leather just far enough away that they don't rub.

Going to mention it to my advisor tomorrow when I'm in for some other fixes.

The odd thing is I didn't notice this until after the last service visit...

Mine had that noise from week one, SC would adjust and it would be back in a week, after a few adjustments they replace the drivers seat, 8000 miles later and it is still quiet. I work next to the SC so I did not mind the adjustments to try and fix. So far that has been the only issue with the car.

First post here... hello everyone! I've been active at the Tesla forums, but since they have been down for a week I decided to finally join here.

I also have this Next Gen squeaking/rubbing problem in my car for the last two months (=winter). Seems to be due to the cold winter temperatures. Interesting to hear about your experiences regarding the possible upcoming fixes at service centers. I wonder how they would fix it here in Northern Europe. I guess I'll have to visit the service center as well.