Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planner in V7 - Any Improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trip Planner has clearly improved. It no longer selects the closest supercharger stop for a 5 minute charge on every outbound trip and it appears to have eliminated the glitch where it would frequently backtrack to a supercharger that you have passed for no apparent reason. I can't say with 100% certainty that this will never happen, but I've now used it three times where it would have exhibited those errors in the past and it behaved flawlessly.

It appears to me that it consistently elects to make a charging stop if it thinks you will arrive at 20% or less charge and it will bypass the charger if it thinks you have 21% or more. More testing is required, but it looks to work much better to me. I've also not once had the glitch where it would freeze up when you stopped en route for a bathroom or a snack, although I think that may been solved before 7.0 at some point. The notification that you have enough charge accumulated in order to continue your journey also seems to have been standardized to the point where I think you can trust it.

It is not any better. It directed me to a supercharger for a zero 0 minute charge on Friday. Yesterday after leaving Kingman with estimate 30% SOC remaining upon arrival at Wickenburg it decided to re route back to Kingman for additional charging. Cancelled my planned route home and then routed directly to Wockenburg to solve the problem. Still needs a lot of work.

It is not any better. It directed me to a supercharger for a zero 0 minute charge on Friday. Yesterday after leaving Kingman with estimate 30% SOC remaining upon arrival at Wickenburg it decided to re route back to Kingman for additional charging. Cancelled my planned route home and then routed directly to Wockenburg to solve the problem. Still needs a lot of work.

Funny, yesterday (for me too) for the first time that very same error did NOT happen - on the way up the hill East of Kingman on I-40?

It did, however, recalculate and mis-estimate the distance remaining while 30-60 miles west of Needles. There's still that "Ugh" feeling of seeing your distance spontaneously double, and warning that you have -3% charge to get there; before it self-corrects outside of 20 miles.

I only use the car's Nav for SC to SC, and in-city with a grain of salt. I never trust the "You have enough energy to continue on your trip" thing, because on the couple times that I have, I have hit Zero before arrival. I hate hitting zero at night, in the desert with my kid in the car. And NEVER, repeat, Never let it route you off the freeway onto surface roads during rush hour, DAMHIK. I'm not even gonna experiment with that one for 7.0

I'[m guessing the engineers who developed 6.2 are the ones who ended up at Apple? ;-)

It seems to recalculate the propose route much more quickly now, if you drive a different way. I used to be informed of great U-turn locations for many km's before NAV gave up and rerouted. It seems to happen much more quickly now - at least based on the two experiments I performed. Might be too early to know for sure, but that's my initial opinion.

I had a funny glitch today, although it wasn't really with trip planner itself. The energy graph predicted a very rapid loss of power as if it thought I was going to climb a very steep hill. On the actual trip it was level and I ended up with quite a bit more energy than predicted. I've seen cases where I save small amounts of energy over the trip in drips and drabs, but I've never before seen it predict a huge jump that wasn't there.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpeg

Trip planner is a joke. EVTripplanner.com that a 17 year old kid made did a better job then this. It amazes me how Elon made such a big deal about "Ending Range Anxiety" turned out to be such a flop- in some cases, it would have unnecessarily CAUSED range anxiety if I were to follow it, as my trip last month it wanted to re route me an additional 56 miles to a supercharger I didn't even need to use. It also seems Tesla abandoned its efforts to improve it.

The real question is: Did it actually END range anxiety like Elon said it would? I doubt anyone could agree with that.

this is the only method that I think is workable, you need to plan any long trips beforehand.

I don't think that's what he meant. I don't plan my trips beforehand (besides glancing at the map to make sure there are SpC along the route). I get in the car, navigate to the first Spc, after that navigate to the 2nd spc, etc. until I reach my destination.

I don't think that's what he meant. I don't plan my trips beforehand (besides glancing at the map to make sure there are SpC along the route). I get in the car, navigate to the first Spc, after that navigate to the 2nd spc, etc. until I reach my destination.

I always check on supercharger.info and/or Google maps for the whole route, then pick the SuC's from there.

TBH, our main trip is Brussels to Denmark and it's perhaps the best served roads in Europe right now for Superchargers, you have to try really hard to run out of juice and you have many choices when to stop.

If I plan the whole route with Tesla navigation then it has me doing u-turns to go back to the charger I've just left, even with a range charge. Mad as a box of frogs...

The only times I've ever had range anxiety in my car, were when I obeyed the "You now have enough energy to continue on your trip" message, and arrived at less than zero! That's two times, and no I'm not exaggerating for effect :-D

I still use the nav, I just plan from supercharger to supercharger only, and give myself 30-40 extra miles depending on which way the bushes are blowing, just like I used to do before 6.2

Oh well, at least the hardware is awesome. I really hope the 6.2 developers found somewhere else to work

Spot on. I use EVTripPlanner while at home, a couple days before a trip to make sure that I'm seeing all possible options, but once in the car I select a SC and then watch my output to make sure that all the various systems in the car agree, roughly (or I can calc the deviation) that Im within acceptable range.

That said, cross-town trips to a new location (for me) seems to work OK, although it doesn't account for the traffic it displays and sometimes has routed me right into it.

My only comment on the built in Trip Planner software is that I wish I could hide it so passengers wouldn't ask about it.

Perhaps a more useful comment is that when planning trips, I'd advise being very conservative if there's going to be heavy rain. It's amazing how much energy it uses. I saw over 420 WhpM at speeds well under 60 mph in a long downpour between Delaware and NYC.