Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has crowdsourcing for auto pilot improved navigation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still waiting for delivery of my MS, but have seen several threads recommending the use of alternate/supplemental nav info due to the general suckiness of Tesla's maps. Recent news reports are that Tesla has been uploading trip data for months to aid in AP function, especially useful in streets with poor lane markings, street construction, etc.

Is the nav any better? Or is the info only being used for AP? Will I still need Waze/google maps along side?

BTW, I didn't order the AP, it wasn't really "out" when I placed my order, thought I'd get familiar with the car first, let bugs get worked out of AP & read the reviews. From what I'm seeing so far on these forums, glad I'm waiting/not getting it. I wouldn't want to pee in terror on the seats of my new car! ;-)

AP beta is great and it's going to be fantastic in the next software release. Agree that Tesla's implementation of Google Maps for navigation needs a lot of help but I haven't seen anything on this forum nor have I experienced any better performance since 7.0 came out this week. I will continue to use my iPhone Maps or Waze as my nav system because I trust those will work.

Locally, the nav works fine. Lots of features available on stand alone GPS missing though. What really sucks is range assurance. Gave me a fright last weekend when it told me I would be minus 4% battery, and took me a while to realize that it had sent me 85 km the other side of my destination to a supercharger, straight past my intended destination which had destination chargers installed ( a hotel in Canberra, Australia) . I actually arrived at my intended destination with 18% battery remaining!!! Not cool or good, Tesla.

Locally, the nav works fine. Lots of features available on stand alone GPS missing though. What really sucks is range assurance. Gave me a fright last weekend when it told me I would be minus 4% battery, and took me a while to realize that it had sent me 85 km the other side of my destination to a supercharger, straight past my intended destination which had destination chargers installed ( a hotel in Canberra, Australia) . I actually arrived at my intended destination with 18% battery remaining!!! Not cool or good, Tesla.

yeah, this right here is the scary stuff. :eek:
Guess I'll plan to use the Tesla nav + Plugshare or a site with EV chargers noted if I'm going someplace new.
Luckily, I'm a planner. Plan, verify, check, obsess, potato, potahto.

I seriously doubt that the crowd sourced information collected from the cars for autopilot will improve the navigation.

Remember that the onboard navigation uses the map data provided by Navigon (now a Garmin subsidiary) and Tesla sends Navigon map updates to cars sporadically, and independently of firmware updates. Unlikely that Tesla provides map updates back to Navigon, and even if they do, unlikely that Navigon map data was updated as part of the V7 firmware.

The Tesla-customized Google Maps is used to identify the destination and compute en route SuperCharger stops. My best guess is that the GPS coordinates (with SC stops as waypoints) are passed to Navigon which then calculates the final route. The V7 update may have modified the Tesla-customization to be smarter about selecting en route SC stops, which would be some improvement to the high level route selection.