Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing in Winter ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Snow and salt is on the way. Wondering what others do about washing during winter and for those near St Paul or White Bear Lake MN where do you take it during winter?

Theoretically Optimum No Rinse could be used in a warm garage during winter. Is the salt and grime build up to much for it? Has anyone done this without a drain?

Downtowner Car Wash in St Paul has a pretty good rep that I know some have used. Are enough Tesla owners going there that they are familiar with them? Do you use the standard drive thru service or a hand wash? Which package? Any problems with underbody wash? Anything to note to them to watch out for?

Others have also mentioned touchless at Fleet Farm as an option.

Thanks,

My recommendation is to go to the local coin-op and use a pressure sprayer to blast off the heavy stuff. Then take the car home and do a rinseless wash at home. I would use some warm water with ONR wash and wax or a rinseless with some wax or sealant in it since they glide better than ONR, but ONR is fine as well. If it is not close to freezing, you can spay a waterless wash on the car to act is the initial lubricant base before doing the rinseless wash with ONR.

I've done this for three winters, and it works fine if not around freezing... Because then it's just too damn cold and water from the pressure washer freezes on the way home. [emoji2]

We had long stretches well below freezing this winter (plus lots of snow) in New England. I just went to a touchless car wash once a month and lived with a fair amount of dirt and mud during the season. I'll hand wash in the 30s without a problem.

In a closed garage, open windows of car and start the heater on max. When warm enough, close windows use war/hotish soapy water and warm clear rinse water. Four microfiber cloths folded. Wash gently a panel at a time. Start high go down. Rinse high to low. Keep leading edge of cloth consistent for each panel. Rinse and refold. One side,edge per panel. No scrubbing. Gentle wipe/glide with lots of water. The dry winter air will dry the car. Best with XPel ultimate. No scratch worries.