Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any New York/Connecticut/New Jersey Tesla owners out there? Ours comes ?May 26

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are brand new to all this and very excited!
Looking for advice from Eastern seaboard Tesla owners!
We are New Yorkers and are waiting on delivery of our Roadster (May 26? Sooner? Maybe).
1. Hello New York!: Are there other NY/CT/NJ owners? Is there a forum for us? Where do you charge? Do we have a way of finding residential homes for charging?
2. Road Rally for NY/Conn/NJ We are working with Tesla organizing a road rally in our area– June 26 th is good for us, but Tesla isn’t sure about that date (the plan: starting in Scarborough with breakfast, heading up the Hudson to Newburgh and back down Storm King, around Harriman State Park, then up Bear Mountain– then over the Bear Mountain Bridge) and then lunch & admiring everyone’s cars and sharing Tesla adaptations/experiences at our country club. Are you in? Have any great ideas?
We’ve never done a road rally before…..we just want to get Teslas out there, because everyone thinks they are just for California!
3. Long Trip: – we want to drive the car to my husband’s u of M medical school reunion, from Westchester County, New York, to Ann Arbor, Michigan Sept 8th…. what do you think? Crazy idea? Impossible? (The entire populace of Ann Arbor will go nuts for Tesla.. they are very green and forward looking) Suggestions how to do this?
Thank you for all your help! This is the future!

We are brand new to all this and very excited!
Looking for advice from Eastern seaboard Tesla owners!
We are New Yorkers and are waiting on delivery of our Roadster (May 26? Sooner? Maybe).

Hello, we "met" on another thread... I'm new here too and also waiting for a Roadster, estimated a few weeks after yours. I have found that the forum is very active and full of good, helpful people.

1. Hello New York!: Are there other NY/CT/NJ owners? Is there a forum for us?

I'm in NJ as you know. I can't see any part of this forum dedicated to regions or rallies like there is on the official TM (Tesla Motors) forum. Maybe it's something the Administrator would consider creating, a "Social / Rallying" forum alongside "Techical" and "Performance"? More likely it is here somewhere and I just missed it.

Where do you charge? Do we have a way of finding residential homes for charging?

People here will be able to help but I think this might also be answered by your "Customer Advocate" from Tesla Motors. For us this is Dan Mygen, since we're in the same area then you may already have been introduced to him.

We are still working on getting a NEMA 14-50R installed in our garage. Among us twitchy soon-to-be-owners it is traditional to post photographs of your socket if you get it installed before your Roadster arrives :crying:. Of course there won't be many more "new" Roadster owners for a while as the supply is running out.

2. Road Rally for NY/Conn/NJ ...

That sounds ambitious and will be very soon after we get our car. The wait period has taken its toll. I can't really imagine what it will be like to actually have the car. I think we'll be sitting in it a lot, standing looking at it... Maybe some polishing will be involved...

We’ve never done a road rally before…..we just want to get Teslas out there, because everyone thinks they are just for California!

People who have actually heard of Tesla Motors are in the minority - one of my neighbours wouldn't even concede that Tesla was an American company. He clearly thought I'd made the whole story up! No rides for him!

Hello, Welcome!

I'm in the neighborhood in NJ. Christy at TM said she'd heard of the possible meet up; count me in. That's two so we're on; wherever there can be found two or more Tesla gathered together then that that shall be known henceforth as a meet.

PS: I'd like to try an actual meet & drive; usually, it's a bloody race; "Let's all head up-town in convoy" or, "Let's follow this route through the city together" followed by a half-dozen Tesla zipping into the distance like the Millennium Falcon going into bloody hyperspace... is not a meet. I'm just saying.

We should also invite all forms of Leaf, Volt and those that just have a plug.

1. Hello New York!:[/U][/B] Are there other NY/CT/NJ owners? Is there a forum for us? Where do you charge? Do we have a way of finding residential homes for charging?

Hello RoadsterWarrior. I'm also in Westchester. I've only ever seen one other roadster in the area (an orange one at the local movie theater) but I've heard there are several in the area. We still just use a 120V connector to charge as we typically drive less than 40 miles on a work day and less than 100 miles per day on the weekend. I've never really understood why people are so focused on the charging stations as I've never wanted to go somewhere that far. In fact now that I think about it, I don't like going anywhere where the parking situation is unknown to me which may be why I still fairly local :) The furthest I have been is in Norwich visiting some friends by Mohegan Sun (about 115 miles each way). I didn't even have a full charge in standard mode when we left here, plugged in a 120V overnight, and had some mileage to spare when we got back the next day. My real miles are always far less than my ideal miles except on long highway driving like that.

I never go to the Tesla forum and know of no other forum than this one. Speaking of forum, this thread is no longer showing up in my "new posts" search results which is how I always browse this forum.

Road Rally for NY/Conn/NJ [/U][/B][/U][/B]We are working with Tesla organizing a road rally in our area– June 26 th is good for us, but Tesla isn’t sure about that date (the plan: starting in Scarborough with breakfast, heading up the Hudson to Newburgh and back down Storm King, around Harriman State Park, then up Bear Mountain– then over the Bear Mountain Bridge) and then lunch & admiring everyone’s cars and sharing Tesla adaptations/experiences at our country club. Are you in? Have any great ideas?

My wife and I may be a little too antisocial for this :) But let me know when you have a firm plan and dates and we can revisit it.

3. Long Trip:[/U][/B] – we want to drive the car to my husband’s u of M medical school reunion, from Westchester County, New York, to Ann Arbor, Michigan Sept 8th…. what do you think? Crazy idea? Impossible? (The entire populace of Ann Arbor will go nuts for Tesla.. they are very green and forward looking) Suggestions how to do this?

I know that there have been some cross country trips in Teslas but I can't remember the details. I think some people have been going to RV parks to charge up fairly quickly. It's a little over 600 miles so it is probably doable but you would need a couple days.

Best of luck with your new roadster. We've had ours over a year and still enjoy it as much as we did on day 1.

I vote no Volts!

Ha. As I stated in my earlier post I probably won't attend the meet but in general I am more of an inclusive type of guy. I think Volts are a great step in the right direction compared to hybrids that use the gas engine for propulsion and I think they should be encouraged. Anything that drive more people into the EV direction - while at the same time alleviating the range anxiety is a good thing. I bet most of the Volt people will realize that they in fact never drive more than 40 miles a day in which case a Leaf would have had enough range for them. To me Volts are an evolutionary step that won't last long but fill an important role until the battery packs get cheaper, the range gets further and the charging infrastructure gets better.

I agree. I think many Volt users will discover after a few years how little gas they actually use and will get used to the idea of plugging in and living with a pure EV. Especially when more mainstream EVs start having 200+ mile range 4-5 years from now (just a guess).

Thank you! I'll let you know when the rally is going to be held. I'm sure it will be fun! (it is NOT a race!)

Also-- does anyone have good advice about the best way to do a rally? I am thinking just to hand out maps or destination points to put into the GPS, and then meet back at the starting point. Any suggestions from your past rally experience? Anything we should or shouldn't do?

Also-- does anyone have good advice about the best way to do a rally?...
If possible, have a designated 'pace car' in front that everyone knows they are not supposed to pass. The pace car should make sure speeds are sensible.
And a tail car at the rear watching to make sure no one has a mishap that has them left behind. At a minimum, the front and back cars ought to have each other's phone #s.

West Point REALLY wants us to visit.

Here is a road rally map: To view your map, click on the link below or copy and paste it to your browser:
Driving Directions from 770 Albany Post Rd Scarborough, New York to [400-763] Albany Post Rd Briarcliff Manor, New York

1. Hudson Highlands Road Rally: Summer 2011: Tesla hasn't gotten back to me with possible dates for a Hudson Highlands road rally. It is gorgeous driving here! Maybe I'll just post suggested highways for you all in case you have a free Sunday and feel like seeing the fjord like beauty of the Hudson.

2. West Point Summer or Fall 2011 . I was planning to route the road rally through West Point and was working on clearance-- the engineering dept is very excited, but there is bureaucracy (this is the US Army, after all). Anyone want to go with me to West Point and thrill a couple of hundred cadets? Are you free Sunday July 3rd? September 18th?
I want to bring at least 2 Teslas to West Point-- mine for sure..... and yours? (It's a Tesla Meet!!!) And maybe talk the shy nonsociable folk into coming because the cadets will love it?

Last edited:
Okay MPT and User497-- and anyone else who wants to come to the most fun car rally ever--VFX and Bonnie1194, that would be you!-- block out Sunday Sept 18th.
I am waiting for Tesla for confirmation but this works for the country club and it's a beautiful time here (it's actually always beautiful here, except for a few grim weeks of grey freezing sleet in Jan & Feb!).

We could always do it without Tesla.............. you game?

1. We need a song! "The Only Car (Girl) in the World" or how about "Running on Voltage (Empty)":need clever lyrics here, guys, or another song choice....you all are clever!--and let's work on getting it sung! And we'll need a 1 page handout for everyone we see-- electric cars really are the future!

2, We need a plan: I was thinking--- To view your map, click on the link below or copy and paste it to your browser:
Driving Directions from 770 Albany Post Rd Scarborough, New York to [400-763] Albany Post Rd Briarcliff Manor, New York
a. start at Sleepy Hollow Country Club in Scarborough New York
b. Drive north on Albany Post Road/9A (some very nice long ramps here, especially where (A joins 9) past Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant (we can discuss the pros & cons)
c. to Annsville Circle (kayaking available here and a neat place to stop and let the kayakers admire the Teslas)
d. left up Route 202/6 (Lots of swoopy turns and cliffs overlooking the Hudson) (known locally as "the Goat Track") stopping at the Scenic Overlook
e. continue (staying on the East side of the Hudson) past the Bear Mountain Bridge, north on 9D, crossing the Appalachian Trail and the site where Benedict Arnold escaped on "the Vulture",
f. through Garrison, home of Roger Ailes and former Gov Potaki,
g. to Cold Spring, home of the Civil War West Point Foundry where the Civil War Parrot Gun was manufactured, and down the Main Street to a very pretty circular drive on the Hudson,
stopping the Teslas to be admired by the townfolk & Manhattan daytrippers, and looking across to the lovely vista of West Point and Storm King Mountain-- you'll see the crazy highway you'll be returning on!-- and have a latte
h, then continue North on 9, to Fishkill, take a left up over the Newburgh Beacon Bridge, and then south on 9D, past the Newburgh waterfront, where everyone brings their boats and motorcycles to be admired; we will have to stop and answer questions!
i. 9 W South and left to 218 south: and then the piece de resistance: Storm King Highway Rte 218, 4 miles of driving joy, so good you may just have to turn around and do it again (or better yet, wait until (j.) and pop a cadet in your Roadster and take them up Storm King Highway for the thrill of a lifetime for our young army officers-in-training!)
j. and thence to West Point, where the engineering cadets and faculty will be anxiously awaiting our arrival, (they love all things shiny and fast) and we might take a few of the cadets & faculty around for a spin, then sadly bidding our cadet friends goodbye
k. past Fort Montgomery, scene of a terrible defeat for the American rebellion, with a very cute brand new one room museum with exactly 1 artifact-- a button from a Revolutionary War soldier's jacket) (and a parking lot where 3 or 4 Teslas slowly cruising through will create havoc!)
k. then up Major Welch Drive to the top of Bear Mountain (site of last weeks Gran Fondo cycling race, many hairpin turns, views of New York City, circular drive where everyone stops and admires cars)
l. then down and over Bear Mountain Bridge (cutest tollbooth in the world... looks like they should be manned by Munchkins passing out cookies!)
m, and back south over the Goat Track (Rte 202/6) past Fort Smith (National Guard-- see tank parked there), and back down 9 to Sleepy Hollow Country Club, parking the Teslas out front in the grass (Jeff the catering manager is very excited) , and having lunch and swapping stories.

Last edited:
75 miles round trip-- we could shorten it by deleting Newburgh

75 miles.
To view your map, click on the link below or copy and paste it to your browser:

We could make it about 25 to 45 miles round trip if we don't go all the way to Newburgh; we could go Sleepy Hollow to West Point to Storm King Highway and back to to Bear Mountain.....(We can always stop at my house! we have one charging station there! But only 1!)

From Scarborough to Cold Spring, to Newburgh waterfront, down Storm King Highway to West Point, then up Major Welch Drive to top of Bear Mountain-- then over Bear Mountain Bridge and back down the Goat Track (Rte 202/6) to 9South to 9A and back to Sleepy Hollow Country Club!

From: Sleepy Hollow Country Club, 777 Albany Post Rd, Scarborough, NY 10510 US
To: Hudson House A Country Inn, 2 Main St, Cold Spring, NY 10516 US
To: Torches On the Hudson, 90 Front St, Newburgh, NY 12550 US
To: Highland Falls, NY US
To: United States Military Academy, 626 Swift Rd # 626, West Point, NY 10996 US
To: Highland Falls, NY US
To: 770 Albany Post Rd, Scarborough, NY 10510-2400 US

--------------------------------------------------
>> TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 2 hours 27 minutes | DISTANCE: 75.60 miles

But we could just go Country Club to Bear Mountain to West Point to zooming up & down Storm King Highway (might use up 75 miles there just going back and forth- it's only 5 miles long but really really fun!) and stop by West Point and come back-- could be as short as 30-40 miles..... whatever people want to do.

Last edited:
The start point is already 75 miles from my home in NJ so I'll need to top up. I'm thinking that I might come up on Saturday, stay over somewhere nice and head back after the event so, I can do up to 75 miles but, would rather a 30-40 mile run around interesting roads.

Know any good green hotels in the area?