Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot being used in a dangerous fashion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S version 7 Autopilot Speeding Ticket Auto Steering Demo on Streets, Highway, Traffic - YouTube

This guy first drives at 40 MPH on an undivided road with oncoming cars just inches away.
Then he drives at 70MPH on the freeway with his arms folded across his chest.
He believes that you can change lanes by flicking the turn signal and the car will check that it is safe, then change lanes.
He takes the time to read through a bundle of speeding tickets and demonstrates how the WEB BROWSER works.
What could possibly go wron
:scared:

Last edited:
I'm getting kind of tired of these videos, and starting to regret Tesla even introducing this feature.

This video I had high hopes for it because it started out with a good image quality, and with a picture of the dash at the top. So it made it perfect to send to people who were curious about what it looked like, and how it worked. But, I could't send it to anyone because this guy was doing the very same thing people claimed would ultimately happen.

As quickly as the update was released was the internet awash in "My Tesla tried to kill me" videos, or "I don't give a crap about hurting other people on the road" videos.

It's like these people have never heard of "With great power comes great responsibility".

Plus all these videos except for a couple seem to come from the same kinds of people. The cookie cutter 30/40 year old white guy with more money than brains.

Sure there are a handful of video's like WK057's video and some other one where they are very caution about testing it, but those seem to be the exception.

I'd argue it's more dangerous to read the speeding tickets, use the web browser etc. while driving without AP.

I think most people would realize that you should not read and drive.
The web browser?
Isn't that supposed to be disabled when the car is in motion?
Is this a new thing with the autopilot update?
I'd say that browsing the web whilst driving is about the most distracting thing you could possibly do.

I think most people would realize that you should not read and drive.
The web browser?
Isn't that supposed to be disabled when the car is in motion?
Is this a new thing with the autopilot update?
I'd say that browsing the web whilst driving is about the most distracting thing you could possibly do.

I agree.

My point is this: people who have been using the browser while driving will keep doing it, AP makes it slightly less dangerous.

People who prioritize safety have never used the web browser while driving, and won't start doing it now either.

But I will say as Jesus: let the one who is without fault throw the first rock. Meaning none of us are saints, we all have our unattentive moments while we're driving, sometimes doing things we shouldn't such as checking our phone or similar.

Freddy, the Model S browser app has always been available to use at any time when the car is moving.
These foolish Autopilot videos are inevitable and have happened with other manufacturers, like Lexus. Videos of ignorant behavior using new technology are certainly not a reason to stop introducing new technology.

I'm getting kind of tired of these videos, and starting to regret Tesla even introducing this feature.

This video I had high hopes for it because it started out with a good image quality, and with a picture of the dash at the top. So it made it perfect to send to people who were curious about what it looked like, and how it worked. But, I could't send it to anyone because this guy was doing the very same thing people claimed would ultimately happen.

As quickly as the update was released was the internet awash in "My Tesla tried to kill me" videos, or "I don't give a crap about hurting other people on the road" videos.

It's like these people have never heard of "With great power comes great responsibility".

Plus all these videos except for a couple seem to come from the same kinds of people. The cookie cutter 30/40 year old white guy with more money than brains.

Sure there are a handful of video's like WK057's video and some other one where they are very caution about testing it, but those seem to be the exception.

+1 to this.

ignorant drivers misusing Tesla please do understand AUTOPILOT is not AUTONOMOUS

But the majority of Tesla drivers isn't reading along here. And the more "crazy" videos of people with lack of common sense will be posted, the more people will try such things. And much as I love wk057's video, there is another one he may or may not be involved in, showing how you can use autopilot without someone actually sitting in the driver seat.

This will turn into a massive PR disaster for Tesla. All I can hope is that the worst we'll see is a cratering stock price and some dented cars. But given that this is 5000lbs of metal capable of driving rather fast, I'm afraid we won't be that lucky.

But the majority of Tesla drivers isn't reading along here. And the more "crazy" videos of people with lack of common sense will be posted, the more people will try such things. And much as I love wk057's video, there is another one he may or may not be involved in, showing how you can use autopilot without someone actually sitting in the driver seat.

This will turn into a massive PR disaster for Tesla. All I can hope is that the worst we'll see is a cratering stock price and some dented cars. But given that this is 5000lbs of metal capable of driving rather fast, I'm afraid we won't be that lucky.

I don't doubt there will be a lawsuit or two, but they will be frivolous. Has anyone sued a car manufacturer after rear ending someone with cruise control on? Well this will be just as effective. Autopilot is a driver aid.

Or, it'll turn into a PR gala for Tesla with Tesla being able to make AP idiot proof. "Look! Even a monkey can get to work in a Tesla!" (no offense to monkeys around the world)

Tesla is going for autonomous driving, period, end of story. And it appears they are pushing hard and fast. To get there this is just one of the steps that has to be taken. You can always count on a good portion of the population to engage their God-given stupidity and use it to the fullest. What better 'testing group' is there? We keep our fingers crossed that no innocents suffer.

I'm sure someone at Tesla is viewing all these videos and sending notes to the firmware department. While I don't like to see this kind of stuff, it's not like it comes as a surprise. Tesla's best defense is to be proactive and forge ahead as quickly as possible.

Ok, I understand I am usually the extreme minority but...

I think these autopilot videos are 100x less dangerous than what I see on my daily commute. My 17 mile commute on highway 101 averages 1 accident a day for the last 2 years of my commute with a high of 6 separate accidents in one day. People doing make up, shaving, eating, reading a book, texting, email, phone calls and multiple actions at once. In addition there are cars with bald tires, body work not properly attached, missing windows covered with plastic and vehicles leaking fluid. 101 is a relatively straight road - weather is rarely less than ideal. I believe a model S with no driver would drive better than some commuters.

I am excited and hopeful all this autopilot data/experience will help accelerate autonomous driving for the commuters who would rather do anything but drive on their morning commute.

I stopped commuting on my motorcycle because in and out hamburger with a milkshake was common. I was worried about people eating McDonalds hot cakes resting on their steering wheel (using both hands) or watching people playing "words with friends" on their ipads in stop and go traffic.

I agree with both the + and - PR possibilities. I just hope TM is proactive and when something negative happens their PR people get out in front of it asap. The FUDsters will be out there...we need TM to counter them..not just wring our hands at TMC.