Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone bought a Model S and used their referral credit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have four referrals and contemplating pulling the trigger on purchasing an inventory vehicle with a nice discount.

Has anyone used their referral credit against a vehicle purchase yet?

Wondering if they take off the credit and then calculate sales tax.

If a car is $90k do they subtract the $4k discount and calculate tax on $86k?

I have four referrals and contemplating pulling the trigger on purchasing an inventory vehicle with a nice discount.

I have an order in manufacturing queue using VA referral, so two $1,000 discounts. I have emailed my DES to ask whether they are deducted before sales tax and registration or not. From the order document, it appears that they will be, since they list price + destination charge -$1000 discount = subtotal. (Second $-1000, I am told, is included in the final documents) I would presume that tax and registration will follow the subtotal in the final purchase agreement.

I'll let you know what his answer is.

My DES confirmed for me that referral credits are subtracted from price before tax and registration are calculated. He sent me my pro forma purchase agreement showing cash price (including destination charge) minus referral credits = Subtotal of taxable items; then follow sales tax and government fees based on taxable subtotal.

I helped selling 24 cars (my tesla shows only 23, but that is still to be corrected) so I have 24000 Euro Credit.

I was told I could not use the credits for the Model X (although I disagree, since the rules were "not for reservation on model X") but ok...
I Sold my P85D and purchased a 70D, to stilll be able to drive a nice car untill the Model X arrives and, of course... to be able to use my credits.
Now I am told I can use only one Credit per purchase! So I have to buy 24 Tesla's?
I think they are mixing "max one referral per order" (so one can not use more codes to get more discount) with "max one credit per car" when trying to use the credit...

Has this happened to others, was it solved, if yes, how?

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.s.: And... my referral link was NOT posted online or otherwise advertised. I only gave it to people I knew directly or through someone I knew.

And yes, at this moment there is (indirectly) a link to be found (not mine!) where all prizes will go to charity... because if the winner takes it all, it might as well be the green planet that wins....

- - - Updated - - -

This would be great news! I have some referral credits to apply to my X. Yay.

I was told I could not use it for the purchase of an X... (although I think they only ruled out the reservation of an X)
But that is not my biggest problem as you can read in the rest of my post...

Last edited:

Are you allowed to use the credit on inventory vehicles? I thought it was only for new car purchase.

First I was told: New Yes, Stock Yes, Demo Yes, Inventory NO... because they are pre-owned. Fair enough...
And I was told: Not for Model X... Ok, then I'll buy another S until my Founders Edition Arrives....
So I bought a demo Model s (just to be sure I will not lose to much in the process) that will be delivered in about 2 weeks.

No I am told: max 1 credit per car.... (when purchasing with code yes, but now somebody within Tesla tells me that that also applies for using the credits) so I am :scared:
Do I really have to buy and sell 50 chademo adapters to solve this?

@ GasDoc: how many credits did you use? Maybe this info can help me convincing others....

Last edited:
I'm taking delivery of a P90DL this weekend from inventory and was able to use all of my referral credits.... they are taken off before tax is calculated...

I see you will get a Founders Edition as Well :cool:. I have already organized several road-trips (Norway, Swiss Alps and day trips to Germany and Luxemburg) and I am thinking of organizing a Founders Edition Trip.... What do you think of inviting others to come over (so North Americans to Europe to drive along and vice versa?) I expect we have some common interests to discuss...:smile:

But... back on topic: You were in fact (based on the X FE) able to use more than 10 referral credits on your purchase?

Last edited:
Referral Program Capture v3.JPG

Thank you for your response.

This in combination with the mail of Sept 3rd (the one in which the 10 max is dropped and the regional best seller bonus) and the mail of of Oct 21th (two weeks remaining message) should help me to convince them, especially since they do not refer to the limitation they said was in place (coming from the current program):
Limits
You must be a current Tesla owner or have a confirmed order to make referrals, and cannot refer yourself. Only one referral credit can be applied to each Model S order; multiple credits on a single order are not permitted. Owners accepting giveaways will be responsible for any related taxes or government/third party fees.

I think that referral credit (as in "usage of link") is something else than credit (as in "resulting from others purchasing a Tesla using your link").

It surely helps to see that others (at least in the US) do not have this problem, so I have a good feeling about this to be solved soon without the need to go further (and get more frustrated)...
Just so hard to wait.... (and it surely is a different feeling than the waiting on my first Model S)...

yes, really excited about the Founders Edition X! I've been wanted to come over to Europe with a car for a long time but always got lost in the logistics...

I was able to use all of my credits for the Model S P90DL, picking the car up in 2 hours! :)

I see you will get a Founders Edition as Well :cool:. I have already organized several road-trips (Norway, Swiss Alps and day trips to Germany and Luxemburg) and I am thinking of organizing a Founders Edition Trip.... What do you think of inviting others to come over (so North Americans to Europe to drive along and vice versa?) I expect we have some common interests to discuss...:smile:

But... back on topic: You were in fact (based on the X FE) able to use more than 10 referral credits on your purchase?

Have all the Model S's you helped selling been delivered? Latest news I got is that only credits from cars that have been delivered can be used......

There's specific language that states that you get your credit when the deposit of the person you referred becomes job-refundable. This is why I had two referrals outstanding after I used three at delivery.

There's language that one of the bigger prizes (I forget which) requires the people take delivery.

Have all the Model S's you helped selling been delivered? Latest news I got is that only credits from cars that have been delivered can be used......

All my credits are no longer pending, but not every one of my friends has taken delivery. I think the credits ripened when the deposit became non-refundable. Makes sense since Tesla could pay the referrals from that if someone backed out.

There's specific language that states that you get your credit when the deposit of the person you referred becomes job-refundable. This is why I had two referrals outstanding after I used three at delivery.

There's language that one of the bigger prizes (I forget which) requires the people take delivery.

All my credits are no longer pending, but not every one of my friends has taken delivery. I think the credits ripened when the deposit became non-refundable. Makes sense since Tesla could pay the referrals from that if someone backed out.

Thanks for sharing this info...

Apart from 1 credit (reserved and payed for in October, but booked in November due to several Lease company switches...) all my credits appear to be ripened as well:

23.jpg

Still.... I can use only 5000 because only 5 cars have been delivered... (maybe because originally the FREE Model X FE that Bjorn had this extra requirement?)
And Still... I am told that I cannot use the credits for payment of Model X FE (maybe because the RESERVATION of model X was excluded?)
Luckily: the "only one credit per purchase" claim (that was meant as in "not more than one link" per purchase is corrected now...

So... I will probably end up selling the demo I purchased to a friend of mine who was sad he missed out on that opportunity... and order another Model S, to be delivered AFTER all others have been delivered.

If someone could get an official statement from a Tesla Official stating that ALL Credits can be used as soon as shown in "mytesla" And / Or that they can be applied on Model X I would be very relieved and thankfull.

I will organize a European Road-Trip in your Honour! :biggrin:

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but does anyone know if the referral credits can be used for Tesla gear? I'd like to get that Moab weekender bag, but was told by an employee of a Tesla store that I could only use the credits at a service center for parts and service. The Tesla website isn't very clear on the matter.

I referred 2 sales, so had $2,000 in credits. So far I've used $650 for a 2nd mobile connector bundle and $500 for the LTE upgrade, both at a service center. Would love to use some of the rest to pick up some swag.

EDIT: just heard from the service center. I can use it for the gear, just not at a store. Has to be at a service center.