Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone had to do it... (Autopilot stunt)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X

Straight stretch of private road. Didn't let it take any turns.

No weight in driver's seat, just the seat belt is buckled. I presume after this video makes its way to Tesla that this will be fixed to better use the occupancy sensor. :wink:

(Yes, the disclaimer is longer than the video itself. No, it's not super exciting.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just imagine what's going to happen at TMC Connect next year! :0[/QUOTE]

The same stunt with Tesla's would carry a much greater risk - one pileup of Hyundai's would probably cost as much as a single Tesla Model S ;-) Of course, the emergency breaking on Tesla would have to change to "crash avoidance" rather than "reduce impact" strategy. ;-)

Love the screen blurring and voice scrambling. You think someone was a little concerned about the legal consequences?

The nav was up full screen. The exact location isn't much of anyone's business.

Legal, no. Assuming he is correct that this is a private road, no laws should have been broken.

Yep, I confirmed this with my attorney prior to changing the video to "Public" and posting it here. :)

- - - Updated - - -

what... you stopped filming right before the right turn.... that would have been fun to see.

Yeah, there was a driver in the seat by the time that turn came up. Maybe next time. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The Infiniti video at full highway speeds was more impressive (and much more dangerous) than the Tesla video.

Wasn't going for dangerous or impressive. Was just a proof of concept. :wink: I would NEVER do this on a public road unless Tesla specifically said that the car was safe hands off...... which isn't likely to happen with these sensors.

Yep, I confirmed this with my attorney prior to changing the video to "Public" and posting it here. :)

You got what I meant, but I edited my comment to "legal consequences, no" to be more clear. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Private roads have do not pass lines in the center?

I have come across private roads that would otherwise meet all public road requirements. So yes, double yellow center lines doesn't mean it was a public road.

It was really the voice scrambling that made me LOL.

Cool proof of concept though, and you did it just about as responsibly as humanly possible. I wonder if Tesla will change it to require a driver in the seat.

driving.png