Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JB Straubel- Model 3 will be mostly NEW technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
There has been an assumption by many that the Model 3 will not have a lot of new technology. Instead it will leverage much that has been designed for the Model
S and Model X. How else can you meet the $35k price. As an example many have said Tesla will use the new motor technology used for AWD in the Model S. Sounds like that is not true.
JB Straubel in a presentation at the University of Nevada- Reno on 10/11/15 pretty much punched a hole in that theory.

He stated the Model 3 will be mostly new technology including "new motor technology, new battery technology, inventing new platform and new structure technology". Common theme was new.

at 59:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k10BOn-ixEU#t=4m02s

Here's my transcription of that portion of the talk:

"We're inventing a whole new platform: it's a new battery architecture, it's a new motor technology - brand new vehicle structure...so it's a lot of work. This is something we started on even a few years ago. But it is a brand new vehicle - and it has to be."

There has been an assumption by many that the Model 3 will not have a lot of new technology. Instead it will leverage much that has been designed for the Model
S and Model X. How else can you meet the $35k price. As an example many have said Tesla will use the new motor technology used for AWD in the Model S. Sounds like that is not true.
I'm not sure that characterization is correct. I'm pretty sure it was always assumed that the battery technology as well as the platform would be completely new. There was some speculation that the AWD motors would be reused, but that was it.

What might also be reused is the 17" screen, as well as similar parts, interior wise and for the general car parts (not EV specific). However, that would not fall under the scope of what Straubel was addressing.

I'm not sure that characterization is correct. I'm pretty sure it was always assumed that the battery technology as well as the platform would be completely new. There was some speculation that the AWD motors would be reused, but that was it.

What might also be reused is the 17" screen, as well as similar parts, interior wise and for the general car parts (not EV specific). However, that would not fall under the scope of what Straubel was addressing.

I agree partly with your characterization but I was somewhat surprised by the degree JB emphasized "new". For example, we all know the Model 3 platform will be smaller but to the extent they implement any significant new technology
in the battery pack design many would consider that a mild surprise.

costs are not reduced just by reuse, that can only do so much.
They are obviously designing this car to be more efficient to build, so it makes sense for it all to be new.
The final product is much more likely to be less complex.
A complex reused design can only get you so far.

JB Straubel in a presentation at the University of Nevada- Reno on 10/11/15 pretty much punched a hole in that theory.

He stated the Model 3 will be mostly new technology including "new motor technology, new battery technology, inventing new platform and new structure technology". Common theme was new.

at 59:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k10BOn-ixEU#t=4m02s

Awesome. Thanks for noticing that and posting it here.